+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Court Shuts Down Psystar Forever

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Court Shuts Down Psystar Forever

In November, Apple asked a Federal judge to issue a permanent injunction against the rebel Mac clone maker Psystar, forbidding them from ever selling any computer bundled with Mac OS X. Yesterday, the California U.S. District Court responsible for ruling in the matter issued its decision in Apple's favor, essentially ending the seventeen-month-long legal battle.

Specifically, Psystar has been prohibited from:
    1. Copying, selling, offering to sell, distributing, or creating derivative works of plaintiff’s copyrighted Mac OS X software without authorization from the copyright holder;
    2. Intentionally inducing, aiding, assisting, abetting, or encouraging any other person or entity to infringe plaintiff’s copyrighted Mac OS X software;
    3. Circumventing any technological measure that effectively controls access to plaintiff’s copyrighted Mac OS X software, including, but not limited to, the technological measure used by Apple to prevent unauthorized copying of Mac OS X on non-Apple computers;
    4. Manufacturing, importing, offering to the public, providing, or otherwise trafficking in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof that is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to plaintiff’s copyrighted Mac OS X software, including, but not limited to, the technological measure used by Apple to prevent unauthorized copying of Mac OS X on non-Apple computers;
    5. Manufacturing, importing, offering to the public, providing, or otherwise trafficking in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof that is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively protects the rights held by plaintiff under the Copyright Act with respect to its copyrighted Mac OS X software.

Observers note that the injunction does not specifically include the Rebel EFI software that Psystar has been selling to help users put OS X on machines themselves. Judge William Alsup said Alsup said he left that part vague because Psystar's statements to the court avoided explaining specifically what Rebel EFI does, and the judge decided he could not determine whether the program fell into the category of things Apple was asking him to restrict. However, he said Psystar's contention that they have a right to sell Rebel EFI probably would not hold up if tested in court.

The injunction takes effect immediately, but Psystar has until December 31 at the latest to stop all of its sales operations. Alsup told the company, however, that it would be better if they would shut their doors within the hour if at all possible.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Better try to get my hands on Rebel Efi software quickly then :-P

Green Apple
    Thanks

haha my thoughts exactly!

p.s. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Last edited by ruslan120; 12-16-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Errrrm why use Rebel EFI? google Empire EFI, it's freakin free!

Thanks

die psystar!
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Thanks

Die apple Die

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Rebel EFI works much better than Empire EFI, for me at least. It has been WELL worth the $50 to not mess with the normal hackintosh route. Sure, you can make it work, eventually. Rebel EFI worked flawlessly for my hardware.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally! This issue should have been dealt with long ago. I'm surprised they didn't make pystar pay Apple for what profit they made.

Die Pystar!

Thanks

Its laughable that they thought they could win this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Go riddance. I believe that individuals should pass on information about how to do this and not have companies try to underhand another. That said I want a RebelEFI, but I doubt I'll build another PC for a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Finally! This issue should have been dealt with long ago. I'm surprised they didn't make pystar pay Apple for what profit they made.

Die Pystar!
    They did have to pay Apple a few million. I think around 2.8 Mil
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw this and screamed NOOOO!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've never used any Psystar product, but I see no reason why the courts were in favor of Apple.

The software (Mac OS X) can be purchased seperatly. So why all the fuss? The only reason Apple is trying to put a stop to them is because of greed. They dont want you to buy the software, they want you to buy the hardware.

There are some people that cant afford those computers. Frankly, I wouldn't want to pay that much even IF I had the money. In a way this would have been good for Apple because if products were abroad that were cheaper than current Macs, and people could have Mac on that instead, their popularity would go up drastically.

W.e, Apple is just greedy. Everyone saying "die Psystar", you're probably better off than most in terms of money. Yeah, Apples own computers are likely better than other manufacturers for running Mac OS X, but what if people dont need THAT high of quality?

Its like buying generic-branded food (Winn-Dixe brand, Publix brand, etc.) versus name branded foods at the grocery store. Some people dont mind the slight loss of quality for a cheaper price.

Im sorry to say it, but everyone supporting Apple and saying Psystar was WRONG, are just fanboys. Why give a company THAT much control? Its perfectly fine for them to have SOME control, but Apple has ABSOLUTE control on their products.

In a sense, those who buy Apples products are paying Apple to control the way they use what you're supposedly buying. Psystar wasn't distributing cracked versions of OSX (if they were, then I would agree with Apple). They purchased valid software.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeceKeeper For This Useful Post:

ipoong (12-17-2009), juggz143 (12-17-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

OSX is a closed operating system what is this about buying it separately? I don't think you can buy it legally unless you buy it straight from Apple for an Apple built computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeeceKeeper View Post
    I've never used any Psystar product, but I see no reason why the courts were in favor of Apple.

The software (Mac OS X) can be purchased seperatly. So why all the fuss?
    Because in the EULA you agree to before installation states that you agree not to install the software on anything other than Apple sold hardware. It's BS, but that's the agreement.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok, so Microsoft gets sued for monopolistic practices by bundling IE with windows. Apple does the same thing with safari and even sues a company that builds hardware that can run maxos. How is apple not practicing the same if not worse
    monopolistic practices? They essentially killed the only competition they had in terms of hardware. Fu k apple, Fu k steve jobs, and Fu k all the associated fanboys.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

ipoong (12-17-2009)

Thanks

Well, good-bye...
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Ok, so Microsoft gets sued for monopolistic practices by bundling IE with windows. Apple does the same thing with safari and even sues a company that builds hardware that can run maxos. How is apple not practicing the same if not worse
    monopolistic practices? They essentially killed the only competition they had in terms of hardware. Fu k apple, Fu k steve jobs, and Fu k all the associated fanboys.
    While I agree about the Safari and IE thing, Apple doesn't have anywhere near the market share that Microsoft does and quite frankly IE is by far the worst browser ever made. At least Safari is good, though it has been painfully slow for me after SL and the latest updates. Microsoft should be fined for even releasing IE!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi, is any one owning a Mac computer? i only have the iphone and i don't read any agreements. is any one know if you brought a mac, do you own it or you lease it???

not sure i should buy a mac???

adp
    Thanks

Alright HTC fans - start pulling your "Apple fanboy" flags and flame people who have apple devices on an Apple forum...
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->