+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple in Talks to Buy VoIP Provider?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple, flush with cash , is apparently looking for new ways of spending it. The manufacturer recently purchased streaming music service Lala , and was reportedly looking at the mobile
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple in Talks to Buy VoIP Provider?

Apple, flush with cash, is apparently looking for new ways of spending it. The manufacturer recently purchased streaming music service Lala, and was reportedly looking at the mobile ad provider AdMob before Google snapped it up. Now comes word, reported by an informant to Silicon Valley Insider, that Apple is in talks to acquire VoIP company iCall in a deal valued at from $50 million to $60 million US.

Coming on the heels of the acquisition by Google of a VoIP provider, Gizmo5 (they had previously bought Grand Central, which became Google Voice), the move - as yet only rumor - is an interesting one. Google is, increasingly, Apple's direct competitor in mobile services and software, and is on the verge of releasing its first hardware phone: the Nexus One, built by HTC. Though little is known with certainty about the Google phone, it's believed that it will be sold unlocked. Some observers are speculating that the device will be positioned as a true VoIP mobile phone.

Silicon Valley Insider posits the idea that Apple would do well to move into being a VoIP service provider to capitalize on the potential future of IP-based mobiles:

As data networks evolve, it will be possible to make calls as well over the Internet as by using a voice network, and cheaper. (It's already getting there.) And that's when Apple may seek to increase its control over iPhone owners -- and recurring revenue from them -- by becoming a VoIP service provider. Moreover, as that becomes a bigger industry, Apple should not give that business to Skype, Google, or anyone else

iCall co-founder and CEO Arlo Gilbert was contacted by Silicon Valley Insider but would not confirm or deny any talks. According to Gilbert, iCall has more than 100,000 iPhone users. The website also notes that the company owns the trademark to "iCall," which is something that Apple may be interested in, even separate from the company's technology and personnel.

Thanks

Nice...

Thanks

Can't wait. I use icall all the time

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Does iCall work well? I've never used it before. Also, that google phone "Nexus One", has caught my interests! I wanna see this phone. I heard on iClarified that it is like an iPhone on beautifying steroids. Now the iPhone GUI and hardware to me is already great looking...if this phone is beyond that then..... O.O I WANNA SEEEE

Maybe after 3yrs Google has finally come out with something worthy of my praise. Not that i'm conceited or anything i just haven't been impressed with their phones and OS quality.

If anybody has any more info let me knowww!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

I've noticed a pattern among posts. The first couple posts are super short to solidify the posters position as "first" as to not be anything but second or third etc when writing a lengthy response... anyone else notice this?

Also, I'm more excited about the link for the Nexus One in this post than I am about the actual post news itself!! haha
    Last edited by ifonemaniac; 12-13-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ifonemaniac For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (12-13-2009), whizryan (12-13-2009)

Thanks

id like to see how this all pans out
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Apple wants anything with the letter "i" in front of it. Now they have iCall. iWonder what is next??
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare