+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problems Force Apple To Delay 27-inch iMac Orders

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
In recent weeks, many Mac users who ordered their new machine online revealed a variety of problems following delivery. Issues ranged from cracked glass and flickering displays to noisy components
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Problems Force Apple To Delay 27-inch iMac Orders

In recent weeks, many Mac users who ordered their new machine online revealed a variety of problems following delivery. Issues ranged from cracked glass and flickering displays to noisy components and drive failures.

Earlier this month on ModMyi, I covered the launch of a new website from a Nova Scotia web designer who was aiming to gauge just how commonplace reported problems with the new 27-inch iMac really are. imac.squeaked.com, however, was viewed by many as a joke and an unnecessary website to track such "minimal" problems.

Apparently, the problems are no longer minimal. As a result, Apple is immediately halting shipping of the new 27-inch iMacs until it can sift through and repair the many problems that seem to be growing by leaps and bounds. For now, it appears that all shipments will be pushed back at least two weeks.

According to ComputerWorld:

A thread on Apple's support forum dedicated to the flickering screen problem boasts nearly 1,200 separate messages and has a view count of over 173,000, making it easily the most-read of those on the iMac forum.
    Of the known, legitimate issues reported, the greatest concern to Apple appears to lie in the graphics cards. And it now seems that repairing problems associated with the graphics cards will be priority #1 for Cupertino. It will also be a blast from the past for Apple, which has had no shortage of problems with graphics cards in the past.

If the problem is, in fact, traced back to the ATI graphics cards, it won't be the first time that AMD's hardware has been blamed for iMac troubles. More than two years ago, Apple began investigating screen lockup problems with the then-new iMac line that sported ATI graphics cards. Several weeks later, Apple issued a firmware update that seemed to solve the problem for most users.
    For now on the Apple website, shipping status on its online store for both 27-innch iMac models has been changed from "Ships 7-10 days" to "Ships: 2 weeks."

Image via Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

l3olsa (12-13-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I just bought a 21'" iMac that Apple took back for studies because it had the flickering screen which would eventually lock up. I had the same problem with 2 of my other, older iMacs that were fixed under warranty, then both failed again for the same reason again out of warranty. So three out of three iMacs failed me. My MacBook Pro & Tower have no issues. Never again will I buy an iMac!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luvmytj For This Useful Post:

l3olsa (12-13-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

2end to rely

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I just bought a 21'" iMac that Apple took back for studies because it had the flickering screen which would eventually lock up. I had the same problem with 2 of my other, older iMacs that were fixed under warranty, then both failed again for the same reason again out of warranty. So three out of three iMacs failed me. My MacBook Pro & Tower have no issues. Never again will I buy an iMac!
    yyeahs...
    Last edited by l3olsa; 12-13-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ooohh.....poor iMac......

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I sure wish I could afford one of those 27 inch iMacs, problems or not. Damn are they sexy beasts. But then I'd have to buy a bigger desk!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

yes! finally they have acknowledged our problems with the imac. that was actually pretty fast, but im glad i can get it repaired now.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks

I am sooooo glad I didn't buy the 27" iMac right away. Instead I waited to see the feedback of users since this is a "new" product (in the sense of screen size etc).

Sucks that others that didn't wait have to go through all of this. Hope Apple can fix this quick and I can read about "happy" iMac buyers so I can go ahead and buy my own. Can't wait to buy one... Soooo freaking sexy...
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully for those that have an issue will get theirs fixed quickly. It would suck to have it delayed during the holiday season. But I'm really glad these Macs don't come with ATI graphic cards!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Hopefully for those that have an issue will get theirs fixed quickly. It would suck to have it delayed during the holiday season. But I'm really glad these Macs don't come with ATI graphic cards!
    Well, as a matter of fact they ALL come with an ATI Graphics card as standard. It's either ATI Radeon HD 4670 for the 27" Dual Core, or ATI Radeon HD 4850 for the 27" Core i5 and i7.
    Don't live by other people's rules... Live by your OWN!!!
    Why settle for less if you can have sooo much more!!!

Thanks

i am so glad i havnt ordered one of these.well yet/let them sift through all the issues
    killall Terminal[]

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

A friend of mine just bought a 27 inch and has had no problems yet with it. Matter of fact I have it here right now with me. Its a real nice computer! Might sell my 24 inch to buy the 27 inch!

"Always remember your special and unique!"