+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Shun Arrandale, Report Says

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
According to a report from Bright Side of News , "sources close to the heart of the matter" say that Apple isn't interested in Intel's mobile Core i5 and Core
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple to Shun Arrandale, Report Says

According to a report from Bright Side of News, "sources close to the heart of the matter" say that Apple isn't interested in Intel's mobile Core i5 and Core i7 line, slated for release in January. It seemed ideal for Apple's MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini, but the report suggests that whatever chip these systems end up with won't use Intel's integrated graphics. The Bright Side of News report further floats the possibility that Apple will ask the chipmaker to roll out a special version of its chipset without a graphics processing unit.

The Calpella platform - the sixth-gen Centrino that combines a 45nm integrated graphics processor with the 32nm Arrandale - is a system-on-a-chip that combines a memory controller, integrated graphics, DMI links and a PCI Express controller for external graphics. It's a natural fit for a netbook where space is at a premium, but less crucial for a relatively large computer like a MacBook or mini. Intel's integrated graphics chips have historically not met muster with Apple. The computer maker left out integrated Intel graphics in late 2008 and moved to NVIDIA's GeForce 9400M for their integrated systems, adding on NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete GPU cards on some models.

BSN asserts that they "only know that Apple rejected Arrandale," not what they will do for an alternative. However, they do present justification for their opinion that Apple is asking Intel to build an Apple-only Arrandale without the integrated GPU. The report recalls that Intel provided the downsized Intel Core 2 Duo "Merom" processor for the MacBook Air before any other manufacturer got it. However this was a special arrangement rather than a "built-to-suit" deal.

At the same time, NVIDIA and Intel are involved in a legal dispute over NVIDIA's right to produce platform chipsets for upcoming Intel processors. Intel claims that NVIDIA's license, in force for four years at the time of the disagreement, didn't cover Intel's Nehalem and Core processors. NVIDIA disagreed, but said in October they were "postponing future chipset investments" until the legal battle is settled, which should happen at some point in the next year.

Without the licensing issue clear, NVIDIA wouldn't have the rights to make integrated graphics for future Intel CPUs like Arrandale or any successors. And without that, if Apple continues to shun Intel graphics processors, the computer maker might have to leave integrated graphics off its entire line, leaving low-end systems like the popular MacBook without any GPU at all. Given that Apple has made GPU processing with OpenCL a key part of Snow Leopard's technology enhancement, this outcome seems unlikely.

Neither Apple nor Intel would comment on the report.

image via Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 12-08-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks

First, I knew apple would probably be going faster but why? Graphics seems excellent to me ASIS.

Thanks

hmmm. not sure i quite understood everything that was taking place here.
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    hmmm. not sure i quite understood everything that was taking place here.
    Basically what I got from this is there's a cool new CPU chip, apple doesn't want it because of graphic integration, apple likley wants a specialy made chip, intels never done this for anyone, only thing they've done close was give apple the new chip that was in the MacBook air ahead of release
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Maestro For This Useful Post:

rhekt (12-08-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

/tinfoil hat on

Maybe it's just me, but the first thing that I think of when there are reports such as this is, "Wow, this could really put a dent in the ability of people who want to create a hackintosh netbook/laptop/etc."

/tinfoil hat off

iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Thanks

What is this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    First, I knew apple would probably be going faster but why? Graphics seems excellent to me ASIS.
    Well, do you wish to keep paying premium for last year's midrange GPU's? It would be ridiculous of Apple to stick with C2D for another refresh when other vendors will be offering the latest solutions.

Well this news changes things. If they decided to implement Arrandale within their next refresh, graphics performance would be lower than that of the 9400m unless if a dedicated GPU was fit somewhere in the chassis. This brought up the question of whether or not it would be included in the 13" MBP line for if Arrandale were available as standard or BTO, it's hard to imagine them fitting another GPU in there, decreasing performance when compared to the 9400m if it were forced to use only Intel integrated.
    Last edited by nickname0695; 12-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

^Paying premium for last years? Think about the history of the faulty graphics chip that was a known issue back in the day that was nothing done about. I hope one of you guys chimes in for a little history lesson in apple faulty chip times.

Banned
    Thanks

andriod has google goggles and iphone don't....

thanks for being a$$hats to google, apple!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

It better not take place! NVIDIA FTW!!! And if it does take place I will keep that in mind and never upgrade my MBP.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

They want the best not an all-in-one...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

can blame them my mac mini has an intergraded gpu and it sucks i cant play any games

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    ^Paying premium for last years? Think about the history of the faulty graphics chip that was a known issue back in the day that was nothing done about. I hope one of you guys chimes in for a little history lesson in apple faulty chip times.
    I doubt that we're on the same page here