Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do Minor iMac Faults Warrant a Reporting Website?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Do Minor iMac Faults Warrant a Reporting Website?

Many recent buyers of the latest iMac have reported being shipped computers that suffer from any number of problems. For example, some machines simply don't work. Others have cracked screens. Others just act sort of "funky."

As a result of the problems reported thus far, a web designer from Nova Scotia created imac.squeaked.com, a website aiming to gauge just how commonplace such reported problems really are.

What have we learned so far? Not much. But the site is hungry for any and all info it can gobble up about iMac malfunctions and shipping catastrophes.

The homepage of the site reads:

Some people ordering new Apple iMacs (fall 2009) have been experiencing issues such as cracked glass, flickering displays, noisy components, drive failures, etc. This site is an attempt to record and see how widespread these problems are and if there are any similarities (such as build date, shipping, etc.).
    Although a few hundred problems (mostly minimal) have already been reported, the awareness of the issues afforded by the new website seemingly exaggerates both the magnitude and prevelence of the known issues, which, according to 9to5Mac, include 173 models that arrived with flickering displays, 51 with cracked displays and 11 which wouldn’t boot. The bulk of problems reported emerged from Quad-core i7 iMacs with a 27-inch display.

If you recently purchased a new iMac please add your info (good experiences and bad). You can also browse the data collected so far.
    Is a website dedicated to so few known issues really worth it? After all, any recent buyers who have reported problems are now saying that Apple has already replaced their machine under warranty, although not "fast enough" for some. Nonetheless, imac.squeaked.com is out there and continues to encourage people to log their reported problems.

When you consider the shear bulk of machines purchased and shipped globally, the statistics found on imac.squeaked.com are, to put it mildly, underwhelming. But if you give people a reason and a forum to complain, I guess you've got yourself a "purposeful" website.

Image via Apple

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess that guy has nothing better to do with his time. Every company deals with problems like this, it's nothing new. I guess some ppl just need a way to vent or get "support" during their troubling time of having to wait for a replacement...

fanboys kill me. 235 faulty computers in the first couple months is not a good thing. especially with apple's minuscule market share. and flickering displays, cracked screens and DOA computers are not "minor" faults. Even less minor when the piece of crap costs $1200 for the base model.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

But what is the purpose of the website? Is it just for information purposes only or is he trying to prove something?

i JUST BOUGHT ONE ITS WORKING SWELL

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Still out of my price range...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

i believe most of the issues involved cracked screens, which were just a shipping issue. hardware wise, i think if you were to track any large rollout of a product, wether apple or not, there will be some flaws that come out of it. i believe that the minor is simply illustrating that the majority didnt have any issues.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Internetz rule 1: there is a website for EVERYTHING
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L00i3 View Post
    fanboys kill me. 235 faulty computers in the first couple months is not a good thing. especially with apple's minuscule market share. and flickering displays, cracked screens and DOA computers are not "minor" faults. Even less minor when the piece of crap costs $1200 for the base model.
    I don't see any "fanboys" in this thread...I see someone trying to be cool by using the word "fanboy" and hating on a company who's products he owns. We all know the word for that.."hypocrite". Both Mac and PC have had problems like this, whether expanded out over time or some all at once. That doesn't mean they're crappy companies, both have their positives and negatives, it just comes down to preference. It's too bad ppl have to hate on something just because they don't like it....immature.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I don't see any "fanboys" in this thread...I see someone trying to be cool by using the word "fanboy" and hating on a company who's products he owns. We all know the word for that.."hypocrite". Both Mac and PC have had problems like this, whether expanded out over time or some all at once. That doesn't mean they're crappy companies, both have their positives and negatives, it just comes down to preference. It's too bad ppl have to hate on something just because they don't like it....immature.
    +1
    Apple a Day , PC away

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redmagic For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (12-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I totally agree, these aré things that are bound to happen just look at xbox360 everyone that I know has one and has had some problems with it(red rings) and that doesn't mean it suxx it just means things happen sometimes...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kaaroFC For This Useful Post:

steve-z17 (12-08-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Internetz rule 1: there is a website for EVERYTHING
    Absolutely right!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaaroFC View Post
    I totally agree, these aré things that are bound to happen just look at xbox360 everyone that I know has one and has had some problems with it(red rings) and that doesn't mean it suxx it just means things happen sometimes...

I do not understand that statement. With the XBOX360 the first production units the "things happen sometimes" were the majority of the units (60% due to the ring of death) and that goes to design flaws (Overheating due to heatsink and airflow design) not "things happen sometimes". Things happen sometimes is when it is just a few units that are having problems and not the majority of what were sold.
    Last edited by JAG2621; 12-14-2009 at 09:54 AM.
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!