Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple and Psystar Finally Reach an Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by CobraSVT View Post
    +1 Apple doesnt produce the hardware as some has said, they don't make the computers either, they have it all made in Japan or China and then have it shipped here and sell it. Most Mac's produced now adays can run windows without a hitch. If you really wanna think about it is, its all the same guts weither you buy a mac or pc, with PC your paying for hardware not as much software. With Mac your paying for LOOKS and SOFTWARE not hardware, the same stuff you can get in a mac you can get with a PC for about 4 times less. Sorry, psystar is doing it right, produceing a tower that runs the OSX operating system for a lot cheaper and you just don't get the brand name and cool looks.

Totally agree. How nice will it be to get OSX working on a machine that is not ripping you off just because its shinny. Who gives a sh*t what it looks like if it runs Snow Leapord.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

What I don't like is the fact that apple has a monopoly on there os. That's like saying that Microsoft windows can only be installed on a computer made by microsoft. I do not like the fact that the only way to have osx is to buy a computer through apple, no other os is computer specific but osx is...sorry but that's monopoly plain and simple. They should allow it to be installed on any computer if the software has been bought, once you bought the software you own it.
    You don't have to buy an Apple computer to run OSX or Snow Leopard, you just have to buy the OS. As the article states it's up to the customers to purchase the software, Psystar just can't sell the computers pre-installed with the OS on them anymore.

Thanks

Doesn't look like you have to get a Mac for Snow Leopard. Glad I can get this one cheaper.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I recently found out that my friends uncle turns out to be the owner of Psystar. From what my friend has said, his uncle is just now moving to California (atleast temporarily) because of the legal battle. Its not over yet!

Quote Originally Posted by gsmumbo View Post
    Can you install a PSP operating system on anything but a PSP? The PSP OS is designed for the PSP hardware. Same here. OS X is designed for Apple hardware.
    For the sake of argument, you're comparing embeded systems to full fledged desktop OS'es. In the realm of full fledged desktop computers, I can't think of any other OS that's completely limited to just one particular set of hardware. The closest thing that comes to mind is Sun's Solaris OS but I do believe it can be installed any other hardware. I agree Apple is providing a complete package but perhaps expanding the bounds of where OS X can be installed might help Apple gain more market share?

As for support, I would think for any hardware not vended by Apple, the responsiblity for drivers would fall on whoever made the hardware, would it not, so where's the problem? Is this how it's been for PC's, whether it's Windows or Linux or any other x86 compatible OS.
    Last edited by szr; 12-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.

What I don't like is the fact that apple has a monopoly on there os. That's like saying that Microsoft windows can only be installed on a computer made by microsoft. I do not like the fact that the only way to have osx is to buy a computer through apple, no other os is computer specific but osx is...sorry but that's monopoly plain and simple. They should allow it to be installed on any computer if the software has been bought, once you bought the software you own it.
    In their defense, one huge advantage for Apple and consumer is that there is a much higher level of reliability for Apple and a better experience for the consumer. One of the things that has really hurt MS over the years is a lack of control on the installed platform and dealing with the ensuing interoperability issues that arise because of this.

That's about the only slack I'll cut MS since I still think that they have [up to 7 since I haven't used it yet] ***** operating systems/environments.

If Apple had to support every HW producer that didn't adequately follow their reference designs, you'd see a lot more 'bluescreens' and stability issues that you do currently. My main systems that I rely on for my livelihood will be Apple-made. But I still would like a couple of cheap platforms to use around the house or travel with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12