Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Hulu for Magazines" to Provide Content for Tablet?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Hulu for Magazines" to Provide Content for Tablet?

Following the publisher's revelation that WIRED magazine will soon have a digital version of its publication for something that looks a lot like the rumored Apple tablet, a new report indicates that there are plans afoot by the biggest names in publishing to create a sort of App Store for digital content. Quoting unnamed source, the New York Observer reports on a new consortium being put together by Time Inc, Condé Nast and Hearst to put their combined total of more than fifty magazines online.

The company will prepare magazines that can work across multiple digital platforms, whether the iPhone, the BlackBerry or countless other digital devices. The company will not develop an e-book, but create something that people familiar with the plans compare to iTunes—a store where you can buy new and distinct iterations of The New Yorker or Time. Print magazines will also be for sale.
    A deal is supposedly expected “within weeks”, with publishers eager to work together to reduce costs and create synergy by making a lot of content available on this new marketplace. One executive involved in these plans explains: “Unlike books and music, I think [for magazines] it involves designing a new product in order for it to be something that consumers really love.”

The Sydney Morning Herald last month reported that Apple had shared format specifications with media companies in an attempt to encourage them to develop products for the (still unannounced) tablet.

"The tablet is tipped to be a larger version of the iPhone. It is small enough to carry in a handbag but too big to fit in a pocket. It will have a touch screen and be targeted at users who mainly want to surf the web, read books and newspapers or watch movies," the Herald reported.

The tablet has long been on the shelf at Apple because skeptics within the company - Steve Jobs chief among them - felt there was no market for it, with the CEO reportedly scoffing "What are these things good for besides surfing the Web on the toilet?" Reports recently, however, have indicated enthusiasm on Jobs's part, with the company founder looking to position the device as a portable digital media reader.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ithug's Avatar
    Thanks

i want a tablet so bad!!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

so tired of tablet news....it's like spam to me now..

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Agreed. They're all rumors anyway. Until there's an actual device, I'm doing my best to just ignore these stories (must not be working too well).
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Thanks

Default i want one :)
    I to want one...but i hope it doesn't come with only 8gb of memory lol and later on the tablet Ts (knock of of 3gs sorry not good at names) comes with 32....i want a great one the first time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If i wasnt planning on going travelling later this year i would definatly buy one. Maybe when i get back?

Physical books and magazines for me, ftw. Better conversation pieces, I can loan them to friends and not really care and they can be picked up at just about any store for cheap.

The environmental issue is just a smoke screen for publishers to act like they give a sh!t about the environment. They care about reducing costs and the bottom line first and foremost. This also probably means more layoffs down the road for these publishers if this takes off. How nice..
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    Agreed!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

If we ever see one released, I will buy it

i love HULU
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

This tablet stuff is startin to actually seep in...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...