+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Many Core i7 Macs Dead on Arrival

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Many Core i7 Macs Dead on Arrival

Reports are coming in that some of new iMacs with Core i7 Intel processors recently shipped from Shanghai are getting to their owners damaged or not booting at all.

There is already a long thread on the Apple support forum with a number of users describing he problems with their newly-arrived Macs. Many of them note cracked screens, with one reportedly showing a footprint on the surface. Some, more disturbingly, simply do not boot at all, such as the unit ordered by Engadget for review.

Numerous customers said the box containing their new system arrived in apparently undamaged condition, but that after they removed the packaging, they discovered that the computer had been damaged, most commonly the bottom left corner of the 27" IPS LCD display. Observers are speculating that the packaging used for the new large screen is insufficient to protect the computer that has to be shipped FedEx from China.

Gizmodo notes that Apple has been “extremely responsive” about the problem, and Apple is reportedly offering replacement iMacs for affected customers. However, this may involve a shipping time of two weeks, as Core i7 is an upgrade option not normally sold at retail.

image via zdnet.com.au

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Even if they have to replace 5%. The cheap packaging will pay off.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

That's a huge disappointment. I don't understand though why the core 2 duo 27" iMac shipped in the exact same box did just fine. Hmmm.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Maybe now apple owners will realize that just because apple sends you a shiny polished turd, it is still just a piece of ****.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

hitman10 (11-24-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (11-24-2009), Rota (11-24-2009), TooSlo (11-24-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Maybe now apple owners will realize that just because apple sends you a shiny polished turd, it is still just a piece of ****.
    Such an educated response. I thank you for your time sir. Do you offer seminars on your knowledge of Apple products?

I can say that over the summer when the 13" MBP was released, I received 3 by mail that were DOA. This however was at no fault of Apple, but FEDEX who left my machines in a truck in the 100° Florida summer sun. I think shipping conditions could play a big role in this. Apple should invest in some temperature sensors for their boxes when shipping.
    Last edited by Melech518; 11-24-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

hancoma (11-24-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That sounds like a worthy idea and apple should really think about it.

I know for most of the components and main PA valve stuff we get in for work have some form of temp indication on the packaging as well as a shock monitor. Basically if the indication is red we tell the company to stuff it and bring us one that isnt donald ducked.

Its an incentive for the package company to get it right or get fined for not doing their job right.

Imagine saying to your boss, " uh you know that £30,000 electron tube we were supposed to deliver? Yeah we're gonna get a bill in for a replacement because I couldn't care less about how I do my job"

Talk about dropping a bomb!!!

If apple can put moisture indicators in their handsets, then this should be easy. At least apple would be able to see who is dropping their products

SAndy

Thanks

thats unfortunate for these customers. im sure theyve waited a bit allready. glad apples jumping on it though.
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

People are going to love the i7. I just bought a HP with it and it is amazing. Instantaneous computing is finally here

Bummer about the packaging. I move freight and know what happens to shipments during their transit. I often raise an eyebrow at the handling of sensitive products.

It is nice to see Apple standing behind their products.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Such an educated response. I thank you for your time sir. Do you offer seminars on your knowledge of Apple products?

I can say that over the summer when the 13" MBP was released, I received 3 by mail that were DOA. This however was at no fault of Apple, but FEDEX who left my machines in a truck in the 100° Florida summer sun. I think shipping conditions could play a big role in this. Apple should invest in some temperature sensors for their boxes when shipping.
    The laptop did turn on a bit right? I don't think 100 deg heat is not much to render the laptop completely dead. I can understand the LCD not working (liquid crystal), or the battery failing, or maybe problems with the HDD but it should at least turn on (with AC plug if battery failed). Every other component in there were made to survive higher temp than 100 deg. If 100deg heat killed the laptops, then somthing is not right beause your car radio, GPS, sufferes this high heat every single day without failure...

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Ahhh outsourcing....regardless of the packaging, I absolutely love outsourcing...
    Sarcasm...

Thanks

Let the Apple bashing begin , again.
    I agree that UPS and Fedex dont take care of their packages . I used to know someone that worked for UPS and he told me packages fell from their conveyors all the time. Plus they would throw them into the trucks so they could get done quicker . Best to always ship with insurance .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    I laughed when I read the thread title, then laughed again at this. Thank you good sir.
    I still wonder why you remain on this forum when you have such hatred for anything with an Apple logo on it.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't feed the trolls.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I still wonder why you remain on this forum when you have such hatred for anything with an Apple logo on it.
    They're called trolls. No life, no friends, just sit on the computer all day trying to cause chaos.

He probably goes on Windows forums and says that Apple is the greatest just to piss those people off.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xwinger For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (11-24-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    Don't feed the trolls.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]
    Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    They're called trolls. No life, no friends, just sit on the computer all day trying to cause chaos.

He probably goes on Windows forums and says that Apple is the greatest just to piss those people off.
    Lolz at both of you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe its what their councilor told them to do to increase their self esteem. Go bash some apple products on an apple forum that'll help.

Its sad that in this day and age of people having a greater understanding of culture and whatnot, that some people still haven't mastered the basics of not being a complete arse.

and here endith the story.

Night kids

Thanks

Anyways

It's a shame that these computers are arriving damaged. I want one so badly.
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol that was funny!!! AND I have a MBP!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Sure its always apple fault.
    Did you ever thought that there maybe be a chance that the the shipping container that FEDEX used might have been dropped and the employee did not report it. I don't know why there are A** **le here complaining about apple this apple that and yet they use their products. This is by the way a forum for apple product/news. IF you don't like it go some where else.

Thanks

shipped with a footprint.

I lol'd.