+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tablet Speculation Goes Mainstream: "Spectacular Graphics" and a Webcam

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
After months of the tech press and blogosphere spreading every type of rumor about the still-unconfirmed Apple tablet, CNN has gotten into the action. Referring to it as "a magazine-sized,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Tablet Speculation Goes Mainstream: "Spectacular Graphics" and a Webcam

After months of the tech press and blogosphere spreading every type of rumor about the still-unconfirmed Apple tablet, CNN has gotten into the action. Referring to it as "a magazine-sized, touch-screen, hand-held, all-in-one device that is half-iPhone, half-Macintosh computer," CNNMoney.com highlighted the device in a post today. They talked to a panel of experts who basically recapped the rumors to date, with one significant new speculation: "stunning graphics," better than the iPod or iPhone, and a webcam for videoconferencing.

The story -subheadlined "the everything killer" - made much of how the tablet was being positioned to replace many different handheld devices now in use. According to the analysts surveyed: Laura DiDio, principal analyst at ITIC; David Wertheimer, executive director of the University of Southern California's Entertainment Technology Center; and Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, the device is being prepared to fill the gap between the iPhone/iPod touch and a low-end Mac Book. The idea that the device will "kill" single-function devices like the Amazon Kindle by offering books, Web browsing, gaming, entertainment and on-the-go computing in a single package was touted by DiDio and Wertheimer, though Kerravala sounded a note of caution.

"What we've found in the past with these multi-function devices is that they're better for ad-hoc purposes, like quick and dirty tasks," said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group. "They're not for any prolonged, high-performance use."

For instance, smartphones have cameras for quick snapshots, but when you go on vacation, you're probably going to want your digital camera to come along with you for high-quality photos.

Kerravala said the same logic applies to the tablet's other functions, including its e-reading capability: "If you want to sit and read a book, the ergonomics of a device that's specifically designed for reading are going to be better."
    Walt Mossberg at the Wall Street Journal, however, recently added his voice to the chorus of those who believe the tablet will be a true general-purpose computer. The influential pundit responded to a written question from a reader to the Journal's AllThingsDigital site by saying that he hadn't "seen any evidence" that Apple was planning a single-purpose device, noting that the iPhone and iPod touch can run Kindle software.

As to the price of the still-unannounced device, speculation ran from as low as $600 to as high as $1000 - but DiDio noted that Apple had an early fail in pricing the iPhone at $599, far above the competitive price for the smartphones that existed at that time. The implication was that Apple would move to price the tablet to compete with similar products currently on the market, such as netbooks, which are generally priced much lower.

image via Gizmodo
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 11-16-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: image edit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Can not wait for the release!!!!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Green Apple
    Thanks

When and where, cuz I'm there! I need on of those asap

Thanks

So What???!
    I've got enough to log around with my MBP and iPhone...who needs this especially as it's most likely going to have to be jailbroken to be of ANY use

Green Apple
    Thanks

that is stupid...a huge iphone. Maybe if it had a real pop out keyboard

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks very cool...but I can just imagine the repair for a cracked LCD!!!
    You know someone would sit on it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Really cool but really don't need this it's just like having an iPhone and a mac. Good luck putting that in your pocket lol.

Thanks

People are always going to break things (how many TVs broken thanks to Wiimotes?).
    I currently cart around a MBP to do email, surf [run a little bit of EVE], display Powerpoints, use term and sync my iPhone/iTunes.

I'd much rather have something like this to do all that -- I don't need to lug around the mass of a MBP to do those things. Just give it BT so I can use my Apple keybd and mouse and I'm good-to-go. Hell, it could make interactive meetings even better (make all connection wireless -- including video) and I can carry it over to a student, demo something, draw on the screen, walk back to the head of the classroom, set it on an 'easel' [so I can see it upright like a monitor] and use my keybd & mouse for real editing/terminal action when needed.

Thanks

Apple needs to get into the AMOLED scene.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    People are always going to break things (how many TVs broken thanks to Wiimotes?).
    I currently cart around a MBP to do email, surf [run a little bit of EVE], display Powerpoints, use term and sync my iPhone/iTunes.

I'd much rather have something like this to do all that -- I don't need to lug around the mass of a MBP to do those things. Just give it BT so I can use my Apple keybd and mouse and I'm good-to-go. Hell, it could make interactive meetings even better (make all connection wireless -- including video) and I can carry it over to a student, demo something, draw on the screen, walk back to the head of the classroom, set it on an 'easel' [so I can see it upright like a monitor] and use my keybd & mouse for real editing/terminal action when needed.
    Agreed, people are always going to break things. I have replaced numerous iphone lcd, screens, etc for many people...at no cost just parts. Normally I see this being advertised for about $100 a pop!
    Imagine the cost of one of those to be replaced?

Yea, it looks like it would make things a lot easier based upon your statements for uses. And it would do well in many businesses, unfortunately, I have yet to see any company I have worked for use a mac or any of its products.

If you get one, or anybody else does, let me know how it does please.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think a Tablet is small enough to fit in your pocket lol. This will be very cool if Apple is listening to the masses. I have a feeling that most people are going to be disappointed at the jump in price when it is released. This will not be as cheap as most would hope.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i'm quite happy with my netbook. this is bigger than my iphone without a real keyboard, less functional than a computer i picked up for $300. what's the purpose of it? unless it's cheap enough, the masses aren't going to buy it and we all know apple doesn't do cheap. the last thing apple needs to do is come out with yet another very expensive computer.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    1500-2000$ with half the capability of a MBP

Thanks

Looks...like a giant iPhone! But, for some reason, it doesn't look a buy for me.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Again, I don't see the point in practical use for the average consumer. The iphone is perfect for size and portability. The macbook air is the ultimate super portable at 3 pounds. I consider it a specialty model from apple. I guess we need to see it before we really judge it.

Thanks

Looks very cool...but I can just imagine the repair for a cracked LCD!!!
    You know someone would sit on it!
    lol the sad thing is that is true
    i replace iphone lcds and digitizers and this looks like a pain 2 replace

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

That's look just like a big iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    So What???!::
    I've got enough to log around with my MBP and iPhone...who needs this especially as it's most likely going to have to be jailbroken to be of ANY use

I would buy it to read books and magazines, and I would see no need to jailbreak it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    So What???!::
    shutup

20. The Following User Says Thank You to big poops For This Useful Post:

Hondamaker (11-16-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay, for all of you that don't seem to understand ... that picture is not a picture of an Apple tablet. Apple hasn't even officially acknowledged it is making a tablet, much less released full-on photos of the product. That picture is a mock-up done by someone out there in Internet-land. It is not representative of how the tablet will ultimately look, just a "best guess" based solely on the only other touchscreen device Apple has out there -- the iPhone. I HIGHLY doubt that Apple would make their Tablet appear to be just an oversized iPhone. So stop judging the impending tablet on this picture. It's not real.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to zauriel For This Useful Post:

Channan (11-16-2009)