+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Manager Claims Mac Inspired Windows 7, Gets Slapped

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Manager Claims Mac Inspired Windows 7, Gets Slapped

Microsoft's partner group manager was interviewed by PCR, a trade publication for computer resellers, and blurted that the company had tried to "create a Mac look and feel" with the Windows 7 operating system. A member of the Windows team quickly struck back on the team's blog, calling the remark "inaccurate and uninformed."

Aldous is in charge of the unit that deals with the company's resellers, which is highly significant to Microsoft as the software behemoth does not directly retail any of its products. In an interview mainly consisting of policy issues having to do with the relationship of Microsoft to the people that put the company's product on their shelves, Aldous made the following assertion.

One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that itís very graphical and easy to use. What weíve tried to do with Windows 7 Ė whether itís traditional format or in a touch format Ė is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics
    Aldous rallied, though, returning to the party line about Windows 7's virtues. "We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform," Aldous said.

The smackdown arrived late yesterday. "Unfortunately, this came from a Microsoft employee who was not involved in any aspect of designing Windows 7," said Brandon LeBlanc, a company spokesman who authors most of the Windows 7 blog posts. "I hate to say this about one of our own, but his comments were inaccurate and uninformed."

Observers have noted look-and-feel similarities between Windows 7's revamped task bar and the Mac OS X dock. Computerworld highlighted some strengths of the taskbar in its "OS Deathmatch," saying that it is better at displaying thumbnails of an application's open windows. Computerworld did, however, give the win to Mac OS X, asserting that "no one beats Apple when it comes to design."

image via ElGeek

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

quiky (11-12-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I was wondering how windows finally got it right. I'm mean seriously, you can't say that some of the design behind Windows 7 wasn't influenced by OSX. The taskbar doesn't look like any Windows systems I've ever used before...
    Last edited by kraziebone; 11-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

HAHA. The truth finally comes out!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I see the similarities in the task bar too. Microsoft totally copied OSX on this one. they copied the big bar, they got their round logo on it, they copied the preview feature, they copied how you can see the status of your file transfer on the task bar and everything, and a few others. Apple should really go to court over this

Thanks

That a dumd A** dude for saying that windows is there own thing and mac is there other thing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

ROFLMAO!!!

Regardless of whether it is true or not, I would not want to be the MS employee making such statements.

Never ever ever compromise your products design, or other sensitive information with information that can impact the bottom line.
    He is sooooo done....careerwise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Oh man! So funny, so true.
    On my way to get my "Mac Inspired" haircut
    Last edited by Melech518; 11-12-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

All of these bells and whistles were taken from Linux. I would love to have a true 3D desktop on my Windows box.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Has no one noticed that over the years since 3.11 of Windows that their logo is slowly rotating and presently is starting to look like the OSX 'X' more than ever!

As far as I see Windows 7, I just think that this is the system that will bleed more users to OS X due to similarities of the visuals of the OS's, Once people start to understand OS X is superior and far more stable they'll just jump ship on to the OSX wagon.

Thanks

Mac vs PC thread comming soon...

if you cant beat em' join em'
    Semper Fidelis

United States Marine Corps

OORAH

My iPhone is a Part of Me GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL's Avatar
    Thanks

My Windows Vista desktop (win 7 too) is sadly more stable than my Snow Leopard Macbook. I'll see how 10.6.2 is going to work, but 10.6 was terrible.

Lovely

Not

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh boy... I can feel the mac v pc s***storm coming already...

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    I was wondering how windows finally got it right. I'm mean seriously, you can't say that some of the design behind Windows 7 wasn't influenced by OSX. The taskbar doesn't look like any Windows systems I've ever used before...
    The taskbar looks almost exactly like quicklaunch from the days of XP and Vista with the exception that the icons are much bigger by default (this can be changed under settings if you so chose) and that you open programs are now merged with the task bar and no longer their own bar. Two things were merged into one... truly the biggest difference.

Quote Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
    As far as I see Windows 7, I just think that this is the system that will bleed more users to OS X due to similarities of the visuals of the OS's, Once people start to understand OS X is superior and far more stable they'll just jump ship on to the OSX wagon.
    Yet another person who seems to get all of his/her information from the Mac commercials
    Last edited by sziklassy; 11-12-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I am taking bets on who the posters will be that will officially start the war....I have 3 names that stand out consistently as antagonists...

Any takers?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Comon guys microsft copiying mac or not, they have been the leader on sales for years after years, I'm not saying that i don't like mac because if I did I'd be lieying, but ms also has a lot of things not available for mac, but if tha software it's made for mac is more stable. so there is a balance in between both, OSX and windows7.
    Last edited by petterloco1; 11-12-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was a Microsoft fan once. I used XP and Vista and every so often, I had to format because the performance gradually got worse and worse.

I made an impulse buy and bought my first MacBook, being a first time user to Mac, I found it extremely easy to use. Since then, I've rarely used my Windows machine and don't intend on making it my primary machine again.

Mac owns.

iPhone? More like MyPhone flrdotcom's Avatar
    Thanks

now that is comedy!

Thanks

Default I <3 windows 7
    I think the new OS's should just contain huge buttons that say "PRESS HERE FOR THIS ACTION" so it will be idiot proof.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course Microsoft copied Apple and lately they are doing it a lot with Windows 7 and their Appl-err i mean Microsoft Stores

My friend is a huge PC guy and he was like "look Win7 is amazing, def better than mac now" and just looking at its "taskbar" and the other new features I just looked at him and asked "When did Apple start making Windows software?"
    iLive an iLife

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

ford vs chevy honda vs toyota suzuki vs kawasaki can't we all just get along

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast