+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Apple Hunting Windows 7 Pirates?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The conspiracy theorists are out in full force tonight. The latest rumor generated by Apple spies snooping around the world wide web for clues to potentially subversive tactics designed to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Is Apple Hunting Windows 7 Pirates?

The conspiracy theorists are out in full force tonight.

The latest rumor generated by Apple spies snooping around the world wide web for clues to potentially subversive tactics designed to bring about the destruction of Microsoft indicates that Apple may be targeting the growing bastion of Windows 7 pirates.

The driving force behind the speculation are the ads that Apple is purchasing on Google. The situation is now being actively covered by numerous media outlets, including the folks at ComputerWorld:

Search for "download Windows 7" and you'll see an Apple ad urging PC users to switch to the Mac. But search for "buy Windows 7" and you'll see no such ad. Do a search on "download Windows 7" or "Windows 7 download" and you'll see the Apple ad on the right-hand side of the page, under the "Sponsored Links" section.
    The ad in question simply states the following: "Upgrading to Windows 7? There's never been a better time to switch to a Mac. Find out why."

Not particularly exciting, right? But the suggestion offered by the mere existence of these ads lends considerable credence to those thinking that Apple is indeed targeting Windows 7 pirates.

But do a search for "buy Windows 7" or "get Windows 7" or "purchase Windows 7" or "Windows 7" and no ads from Apple for Macs appear.
    What's being inferred by that statement is obvious. A Windows pirate would likely not use the words "buy" or "purchase" in their searches for Windows 7. "Download" is always the million-dollar word for hackers and pirates. And, at least on the surface, it would seem that this is the intended group for the new round of suspicious Apple ads on Google.
    Why would Apple target Windows piraters? Frankly, I don't have a clue. And I'm not completely convinced they're targeting pirates, either. So if you have an answer to the mystery, or a theory about it, let me know below.
    Ditto.

Image via ComputerWorld

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (11-06-2009), tattoojack (11-05-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,539 Times in 5,857 Posts

Interesting read for sure. Now who in the world would want pirate windows software?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (11-05-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol ^

Green Apple
    Thanks

^
    ^lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbillh77's Avatar
    Thanks

You almost have to pirate it. It normally isn't worth paying for

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbillh77 For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (11-05-2009)

Thanks

Windows 7? Remember all those AOL CDs in the mail for free?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbillh77 View Post
    You almost have to pirate it. It normally isn't worth paying for
    If its not worth paying for, why use it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Murfunit's Avatar
    Thanks

It almost makes sense actually

Mac OS X users looking for a cheap way to get WIn 7 for their virtual machine or Bootcamp partition? It's not like it's an OS you'd use exclusively so why buy it at full price if you can get a bootleg?

Hence Apple targeting those searches for their ads.

Another thought: If you're not willing to buy Win 7 maybe you're not all that thrilled with MS and Winblows? So might be interested in a real OS?

Dunno if that makes sense to anyone else but it had a twisted sort of logic to me.
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Or maybe Apple is just trying to get a new angle on advertisement, one thing they have to be hating on is the people that are turning their machines into a "Hackintosh" who else would even attempt this but a "pirate".

i don't have anything against any OS, i prefer windows because i can easily customize my machine but Apple has done a great job at making their popular devices compatible with each other... that would make me want a mac, and "if" i ever pirated anything, i'd probably would have looked into getting osx on my customizable PC set up, and as complicated as that is, one little add like that may be the turning point where said "pirate" gives up and buys a mac.

apple is being smart and trying to close gaps... at least thats what i would think.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Windows 7? Remember all those AOL CDs in the mail for free?
    You mean the free coasters?

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's retarded. If they're too cheap to buy Windows 7, they're going to be way too cheap to buy overpriced Mac crap. And if it's directed at Mac users wanting it for their Boot Camp partition that don't make any sense either, since they already have Macs.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blowfish64 For This Useful Post:

gatorboy (11-05-2009), Jordan.nave (11-09-2009), justarry21 (11-05-2009), N4cer (11-04-2009), panzival (11-05-2009), rkswat (11-05-2009), Rota (11-05-2009), ultimatexpka (11-05-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Messany, do a search for "Upgrade Windows 7" and you will see this ad as well. Apple just didn't choose to bid for the other keywords like "Buy Windows 7", but that does not mean that they are trying to advertise to Windows 7 pirates. Download and upgrade are very popular keywords, so it makes sense for Apple to use these.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm cheap to0 up until i can't find a viable cheaper solution. it can be extremely hard to create a hackintosh PC, and if you want osx bad enough to mesh with your iDevice or what have you, you may be pushed into getting it. Pirate or not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

^
    ^
    ^
    ^ like (dunlapface's post)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -Hans- View Post
    Messany, do a search for "Upgrade Windows 7" and you will see this ad as well. Apple just didn't choose to bid for the other keywords like "Buy Windows 7", but that does not mean that they are trying to advertise to Windows 7 pirates. Download and upgrade are very popular keywords, so it makes sense for Apple to use these.
    lol good call i was about to start searching to see what came up myself.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xmanix View Post
    i'm cheap to0 up until i can't find a viable cheaper solution. it can be extremely hard to create a hackintosh PC, and if you want osx bad enough to mesh with your iDevice or what have you, you may be pushed into getting it. Pirate or not.
    Do you mean upgrading to windows 7? If you're a college student or you know a college student you can get the upgrade for $30.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dunlapface View Post
    You mean the free coasters?
    Or they were a way to get some different monsters on Monster Rancher when it first came out many, many years ago lol.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k9srkool View Post
    Do you mean upgrading to windows 7? If you're a college student or you know a college student you can get the upgrade for $30.
    no, not exactly. i was just saying if apple were targeting pirates, it could be because they know that you'd have to be a (PC Using ) pirate to pirate their OS for a "Hackintosh" PC. like the ones sold by Pysar. and a pirate is a pirate, for rich or poor, so if a pirate were searching to pirate windows 7, said pirate has probably looked into pirating OSX on PC, i've read into creating a hackintosh machine, and its not exactly "fool proof" and the hacked OS doesn't run as smoothly. so if in the midst of failure and looking forward to OSX on your PC a pirate could finally after however much time put into this, give up and be enticed to look into the add.

me personally i wasn't to cheap to pay the price for the upgrade, i tested the beta releases of 7, and it was worth it.

also i'm pretty sure apple isn't targeting anyone and this is just a coincidence in the tag's

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i tryed to search for download snow leopard just out of curiosity i dont get google ads i must have disabled them sometime ago lol damn the one time i wana see ads haha o well
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah i don't get ads for that either, Microsoft needs to jump on that lol.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast