Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Could Apple Launch Its Own Cable Television Network?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Could Apple Launch Its Own Cable Television Network?

Although Apple has never formally expressed an interest in launching such a venture, many Apple fanatics have, in recent months, broached the subject of an Apple-based cable television network.

Similar to that of G4 - also known as G4 TV, the cable and satellite television channel devoted to the world of video games - the idea for an Apple television network (which, for now, remains fantasy) is at least becoming a more widespread fantasy, with news and rumors about such a venture turning up everywhere in the blogosphere.

And as a result of such rampant speculation, a lot of people fresh to the concept have begun contemplating if such a venture would actually be a good idea.

Although many would likely wonder where the bulk of content would come from, it seems Apple is already working overtime these days to come up with new ways to deliver a more comprehensive multimedia experience. Just last week, as CNET reported, Apple announced that version 3.0 of its Apple TV software is now available for download.

Perhaps the biggest news from the update is the addition of Apple's recently announced iTunes Extras and iTunes LP. The former gives users the opportunity to access special features like deleted scenes and cast interviews in various movies in the iTunes Store. iTunes LP allows users to view content related to specific songs, including interactive lyrics, performance videos, and other offerings.
    If Apple TV (as in Apple's own TV network) actually comes to fruition, it's likely that the majority of its content would come from its largest current providers of both digital and mobile content - those also behind many hugely successful apps that would only be promoted further by such a venture.

Some Apple conspiracy theorists have already speculated that Apple may be working on such a venture as we speak, with an eventual offering being exclusive in some capacity to Apple TV. But even without substantial evidence to support such claims, there's no question that Apple has amassed the resources and capabilities to produce such a dedicated cable or satellite channel, perhaps even with some form of on demand programming.

Could Apple pull off its own TV station? Probably. The real question is do they want to?

Image via Apple

No. End Of

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    No. End Of

Yea! -- what she said

Thanks

Well... I actually hope so, being outside the US i'm limited to what i watch, said that I have pay TV (cable) we are weeks behind., whats screened in the US.

I would subscribe to have up to date programs via ATV for sure.
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Default 9.0.2
    That's great....but what about iTunes 9.0.2...any news about if it effects jailbreaking?
    sǝıƃolouɥɔǝʇ pǝɹıdsuı

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see this happening anytime soon. Focus on gaming is where they seem to be headed to me. Also, would Apple every start producing its own shows? I don't think that would be a good idea at all despite all the love for their getting to be lame commercials.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

I personally don't think they would. If they were to create their own station, there would be a "Buy Now" or "Send To My Computer" type option. That way, they would play movie, TV show, etc and you could then buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by iNasser View Post
    That's great....but what about iTunes 9.0.2...any news about if it effects jailbreaking?
    No it doesnt.
    Wrong Thread.
    You would have found the answer if you searched a little
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe a Steve Jobs reality show....

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    No it doesnt.
    Wrong Thread.
    You would have found the answer if you searched a little
    Yeah, but at least he derailed this thread to something actually interesting. This crap news isn't even news. Who comes up with the topics that get posted on here anyway?

no, the real question is do I want them to. the answer is no. they just need to replace my cable bill like we all know they can

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I, for one, would pay the speculated $30/month cost for the ability to stream any tv show or movie to my laptop or TV via my AppleTV! I would do this and drop my cable service in a heartbeat! The only problem I see is with getting all of the big broadcasters on board. Sure, ABC, ESPN and Disney would hop on board, but would NBC do it? Especially with talk of Comcast buying them. If it's proportioned right, I think it would be a win-win for the studios and Apple. We are years away from mass adoption of TV via the internet, so this would only appeal to a select market. Hopefully, they'll get a deal worked out, b/c I think Apple would absolutely awesome job at managing media like we've never seen before! I know I'm sick of paying $120 a month for a bunch of channels I never watch and a limited HD selection! I love watching movies on my AppleTV and the HD sound and video looks great. However, the $4.00 and $5.00 rental fees are a bit too pricey. They could limit the number of shows/movies that you can stream daily to prevent too much of an overload. The options are endless. Man, I hope this happens!

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't wait to get an aTV. I think I'm gonna wait till after the first quarter is over tho. They may surprise us in January.

im all on board. watch tv through my laptop now anyways
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

That would be a good ideas, if the price is right. Would the cable tv be over the internet? That would really slow your connection down. I don't think my roommates would like that.

Thanks

what would they show, that just seems as it would get old fast and probably cost too much and they probably have it exclusive with direct tv since thats the hot sh*t these days, but it would still be interesting to see how it would work. an xtra box w/ external storage, log in w/ itunes account?, download movies directly to your tv, maybe an actual a/v out? well we'll have to wait and see
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

I did see on another site about Apple looking to subscription based programming. I don't pay to much for the cable I have now because there is a discount with having internet and cable together. You still have to pay for internet to get the service and not to mention several of the ISPs making monthly caps on the amount of data you can use. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    im all on board. watch tv through my laptop now anyways
    I really don't like your picture!! please change it poop face

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

As for the content, this site makes more then a few posts a day on all sorts of iNews. So I'm sure that it wouldn't be that hard to find things to talk about...
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast