+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple Should Get a Move On with $600 Tablet

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Report: Apple Should Get a Move On with $600 Tablet

I don't want to be one who tries to tell Apple what to do.

And fortunately, I don't have to. A new study published by shopping site Retrevo does it for me. And I think it's safe to say most Apple fans would agree with the consensus presented.

The study, of which a summary was published this morning by eWeek, presents that $600 is the "pricing sweet spot" of the upcoming Apple tablet to help ward off consumer considerations of the ever-popular netbook.

Just in case Apple does produce a tablet/slate product, consumer electronics shopping site Retrevo decided to poll its users and find out who would buy one and for what price.
    So what did the survey by Retrevo reveal? Its survey of 753 customers (mostly from the US) showed that nearly seventy percent of Mac owners are willing to pay more than $600 for an Apple tablet. Only 36 percent of PC owners would cough up a similar amount. As a result, it is Retrevo's formal recommendation for Apple to roll out its mythical tablet for the aforementioned acceptable of $600.

I'm sure the only think holding up Apple's decision so far was a study of this nature from Retrevo, right? (Insert sarcasm here).

Nonetheless, the survey does shed some light on what a lot of Apple customers are thinking in terms of the ideal pricing for an Apple tablet - an important consideration for releasing such a product during a still tenuous economy leading into the holiday shopping season.

Among Mac users, 27 percent said they’d pay between $600 and $800, while only 16 percent of PC users said the same. And upward of $800? Retrevo found 41 percent of Mac users still onboard, while only 20 percent of PC users were game. Retreveo also encourages Apple to get a move on. It reports that “59 percent of the iPhone owners who responded to the survey [say] they already own or plan to buy a netbook this year.”
    Ya hear that, Apple?

Image via Apple

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

avon (11-02-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Give me a tablet, 10" screen, real OSX (not iphone OS) and good connectivity to USB + bluetooth devices (external keyboard, mouse, thumb drives, etc) and I will buy it! Give me a glorified iphone and I won't.

Thanks
    I really doubt they would be able to develop anything but an glorified iphone for a $600 price point.

Ask your self a question, what is the cost of an iPhone with out a contract? Around $600.00. The cost of a new MB is $999.00 and thats a "base" laptop for apple.

This thing will have no computing power and will be generally pointless. It will just be a kindle with wifi....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to XAPHAIS For This Useful Post:

avon (11-02-2009)

Thanks

That company making a macbook macbook pro into an mac tablet is a good as anyone is going to get. What would the average student or consumer need an apple tablet for? How would you carry around a mac tablet? no practical without a backpack or briefcase? Let it rest? Which OS^^^? if I have Snow leopard then I already own a Macbook Air..if the iphone OS then i already own an iphone?? What OS would I possibly benefit from using a tablet?? Sorry, for the rant...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is this just a rumor or has someone actually seen one of these in person?
    NEVER pay to have your iPhone unlocked or jailbroken, It's a complete rip off.

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,104 Times in 3,298 Posts

a tablet for the price of a iphone ? Just funny, nothing more.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Rofl those people WISH the iTablet would be $600. That's not gonna happen and apple has their own "analysts" to set a price. Tbh Tablet is overhyped. A laptop with a touch screen Meh.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M4tt Dam0n For This Useful Post:

hitman10 (11-01-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I am still using my NEC Litepad from 2001. It is a 933mhz. 512meg of ram, 10.1 diagonal led screen, 2.2 pounds, upgraded to wireless g from b, 3 usb2 ports, and vga out, cf card slot, and a speaker. Mic and headphone jacks. With xp service pack 1 it is quite snappy. I am still waiting for the Apple tablet to replace this unit. The problem with this unit was the cost. in the $1800 to & 2000 range.

Waiting.........

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemetal View Post
    a tablet for the price of a iphone ? Just funny, nothing more.
    cost less than an iPhone (iphone 3g = $600, 3G-S = $700+)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cssoz For This Useful Post:

avon (11-02-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    ......How would you carry around a mac tablet? no practical without a backpack or briefcase?......[yes.....a backpack or briefcase. sounds perfect]......... Let it rest? Which OS^^^? if I have Snow leopard then I already own a Macbook Air..if the iphone OS then i already own an iphone?? What OS would I possibly benefit from using a tablet?? Sorry, for the rant...[HMMMMM.the OS thats most up to date and works the best at time of release ]......

so hope this helps now ya hear. besides i might wear it around my neck like an oversized clock BBBBBOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
    Last edited by rhekt; 11-01-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    Give me a tablet, 10" screen, real OSX (not iphone OS) and good connectivity to USB + bluetooth devices (external keyboard, mouse, thumb drives, etc) and I will buy it! Give me a glorified iphone and I won't.
    That does sound really good.

Price seems to cheap for Apple though lol
    I guess well have to wait and see. I'd like to see a tablet released though

Thanks

If Apple manage to release a decent spec tablet I would definately be jumping in to buy one, ipod touch and iphone have redefined how I interact with an OS - so much so I modded my Advent 4211c with a touch screen and dual boot Windows 7 and OSX Leopard on it -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7BksGNTtw]YouTube - Apple Tablet?[/ame]

Video taken on my 3Gs
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

It'll happen but not at 600 bucks... CRAP!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds good $600 with all the bells and whistles? i will sell my macbook if its around $900...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was thinking about buying a macbook pro but I actually wont even buy another mac product until they come out with the mactouch. I'm sorry Apple but I'm going on strike. And until you please my wishes with a Macbooktouch I wont please your pockets.