+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Loses '1984' Ad Legend

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The creative mastermind of Apple's legendary '1984' Superbowl commercial is leaving the company he helped put on the world's stage a quarter-century ago. Still considered a "masterpiece in advertising," Clow's
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Loses '1984' Ad Legend

The creative mastermind of Apple's legendary '1984' Superbowl commercial is leaving the company he helped put on the world's stage a quarter-century ago.

Still considered a "masterpiece in advertising," Clow's "1984" ad was filmed with a whopping budget of $900,000 (huge for the time period) and was directed by legendary sci-fi filmmaker Ridley Scott.

The world learned this week that Lee Clow is stepping down as chief creative officer at TBWA/Media Arts Lab for which Apple was a chief client. Beginning with the "cultural cornerstone" that was Apple's classic "1984" ad that introduced the Macintosh computer and ushered in the new era of "Get a Mac" ads starring John Hodgman and Justin Long, Lee Clow's work won't soon be forgotten by anyone, including his good friend Steve Jobs.

According to Apple Insider:

TBWA was also behind Apple's "Think Different" campaign and the silhouette iPod advertisements, both made while the organization was under the helm of Clow. He has worked in advertising for more than 40 years, though his best known work has been with the Mac maker. Other memorable campaigns, according to AdAge, include the Energizer Bunny and the Taco Bell Chihuahua.
    Clow, who is retiring at the age of 66, will be replaced by Duncan Milner, another longtime advertising associate of Apple's. Milner, however, will have big shoes to fill. Clow, after all, was a natural fit for Apple as both he and the company he loves made it a priority to craft culture right along with commercials, a method that has contributed heavily to the growth of Apple as the premiere industry-leader that it now is.

This year marked the 25th anniversary of the Mac, which launched with the original Macintosh 128K on Jan. 24, 1984. It was the first mainstream computer with a mouse pointer, windowed desktop, icons and folders priced at a level that was more affordable than previous offerings, like the Lisa. The first Mac cost $2,495, while the Lisa cost four times higher.
    <object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYecfV3ubP8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYecfV3ubP8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Image via AdAge

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ouch

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

wow. He is a legend

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

haha that's so intense but ifeel like it just adds to the whole cult thing hah

Thanks

Everyone thats works for apple is SO UGLY. I mean look at Steve Jobs he looks like a damn Skeleton.

This guy looks like a dman Walrus
    EDM

Thanks

Is he REALLY stepping down?

Some Sources say it ain't so, Joe (or Steve, as the case may be).:
    Apple Advertising Star Lee Clow Staying On | Peter Kafka
    ...Clow isn’t retiring, he’ll still have a hand in Apple (AAPL) campaigns, and he’s a bit bemused by the way the Internet has treated his org chart shuffle.

“Look at how the blogosphere decided to make it a conversation about me,” he writes in a letter distributed to his staff.
    Link to quote below..."Lee Clow's 'Not Going Anywhere'"
    "Hey Everyone:

So we tried to promote Duncan Milner because of the great job he's been
    doing leading the Media Arts Lab and look at how the blogosphere
    decided to make it a conversation about me.

As you all know, I'm here every day meddling in everything that goes
    on, pushing the creative on many brands including keeping an eye on
    Apple.

I remain Chairman of MAL, Global Creative Director of Media Arts and
    Chief Creative Officer of TBWA Worldwide.

I'm not going anywhere.

Love, Lee"
    Last edited by mbaharvard; 11-01-2009 at 12:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    No matter he is stepping down or not, it wont affect anything on what apple will be developing in the future which is more important for us. I guess.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    Everyone thats works for apple is SO UGLY. I mean look at Steve Jobs he looks like a damn Skeleton.

This guy looks like a dman Walrus

LoooooooooooooooooL

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Its always sad to lose anyone from our community...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...