+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boot Camp to Support Windows on Mac. Um, Soon. Unless...

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On the day of Windows 7's release, Apple posted a terse Knowledge Base article promising Boot Camp support for the new operating system. However, the capability will only be available
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Boot Camp to Support Windows on Mac. Um, Soon. Unless...

On the day of Windows 7's release, Apple posted a terse Knowledge Base article promising Boot Camp support for the new operating system. However, the capability will only be available in a future update to the utility, which is slated for release sometime before the end of the year.

Apple will support Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate) with Boot Camp in Mac OS X Snow Leopard before the end of the year. This support will require a software update to Boot Camp.
    Additionally, the article noted without explanation that nine Mac models manufactured in 2006 will not have Windows 7 support:
    • iMac (17-inch, Early 2006)
    • iMac (17-inch, Late 2006)
    • iMac (20-inch, Early 2006)
    • iMac (20-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2006)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2006)
    • Mac Pro (Mid 2006, Intel Xeon Dual-core 2.66GHz or 3GHz)

Observers have hypothesized that the omissions are related to drivers - for peripherals like the iSight camera, trackpad, Bluetooth, backlit keyboard etc. - that won't run on those systems under Windows. Windows 7 can be installed on these Macs and may work fine, though the affected devices may show some glitches. However, it's also possible that Windows may auto-detect the devices and load compatible drivers.

At the same time, though, it's unclear what these nine models have in common that is not also shared by other Macs. From AppleInsider:
    The Early 2006 iMacs and MacBook Pro models have 32-bit Core Duo CPUs, but the other models specified all use 64-bit Core 2 Duos or Xeon processors, and no other 32-bit Macs (MacBooks, mini) are on the list...
    The only other common thread between these machines is that they all originally shipped with either no or disabled support for 802.11n wireless networking. However, late 2006 MacBooks also shipped with disabled support for 802.11n, and no Mac minis supported 802.11n until 2009, so this does not appear to be a factor either.
    image via InfoWorld

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (10-23-2009), Tizocman (10-23-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

sweet now i need a mac
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default ....
    I already have new macbook pro running with windows 7 32 bit and snow leopard and its works awsum and flawlessly.//.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

i got windows 7 for free from my major i just don't know if parallel's will run windows 7 does anyone know? i've been trying to google it but i'm not sure if it just supports the windows 7 beta or also acutal windows 7 i have parallel's 4.0 thanks i'm really wanting to change my vista to 7 runs smoother and i love the interface so much more. there was a demo at my school.

Mp3
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have had windows 7 installed on bootcamp for a while now. It seems to run perfect.
    My toys:
    IPhone 4 16gb
    IPad 16gb
    White MacBook
    Yamaha R6
    BMW M3

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    i got windows 7 for free from my major i just don't know if parallel's will run windows 7 does anyone know? i've been trying to google it but i'm not sure if it just supports the windows 7 beta or also acutal windows 7 i have parallel's 4.0 thanks i'm really wanting to change my vista to 7 runs smoother and i love the interface so much more. there was a demo at my school.
    yes it does, i have installed win7 via bootcamp and access the partition via parallels 4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to samoth1989 For This Useful Post:

santaf (10-23-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

haha this is why i love apple, hey lots make fun of our competitor and say how crappy their OS is compared to our but then lets support that OS too. does anyone else see the irony here?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JailbreakThis View Post
    But what I wanna know is WHY ON EARTH would MAC USERS need Windows? I thought that Crapples could do EVERYTHING
    Idiot.

I've had Windows 7 (64-bit) running on my MacBook Pro for a while now, runs fine with VMware Fusion too. So Boot Camp Support is already there.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

[quote=JailbreakThis;5007397]

You've proved my point.
    Seeing as all your posts are just childish Apple bashing with zero evidence to back anything up. Its sad that you need to join a primarily apple user forum just bad-mouth them to make yourself feel good. How low is your self esteem?
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-23-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    I've had windows 7 ultimate running on my MBP with VM ware. Runs smoothly without any issues at all...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

santaf (10-23-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

IF ANYONE WANT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSINAL FOR $29.99 JUST GO TO edit, link removedMicrosoft Office Discount for US Students -The Ultimate Steal- Office 2007 Software for $59.95[/url]
    BUT YOU NEED TO BE A COLLEGE STUDENT OR KNOW SOME WHO IS.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 10-23-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

This thread is the perfect opportunity for a fanboy flame war.

Has anyone noticed how defensive the Apple people are lately. Remember that "Big Brother" that Apple warned us about, well that "Big Brother" is Apple. Do you remember when Steve Jobs said that at Apple, they believed in freedom of choice. Boy, things sure have come a long way since then, and not for the better.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im using windows 7 on my macbook pro right now i just typed up this with windows 7 on my mac right now

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am using windows 7 pro on a iMac running OS X
    and the drivers issue really is not accurate as i have used both wired and wireless apple keyboards with 7. I have found that in any file or web browsers it randomly decides to go back, not sure if its a boot camp thing just mentioning it.

Thanks

I am running 7 on my mac pro as well with no issues at all (so far)
    Last edited by neonsector; 10-23-2009 at 02:42 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    You've proved my point.
    Seeing as all your posts are just childish Apple bashing with zero evidence to back anything up. Its sad that you need to join a primarily apple user forum just bad-mouth them to make yourself feel good. How low is your self esteem?
    Don't bother feeding the troll.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp3 View Post
    I have had windows 7 installed on bootcamp for a while now. It seems to run perfect.
    Same here!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    hey guy windows mac is just a computer don't fight against companys that you don't own or get something put off it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this doesn't make any sense, we got Windows 7 Ultimate at work about 2 months ago, and I've been running it natively on my macbook air for about 2 months, using the existing bootcamp drivers, and no issues. Everything appears to work like it should.

Go figure.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JailbreakThis View Post
    Proved your point what? You have no fuc.king point because you don't know how to read you illiterate fu.ck. Don't try to back pedal your way outa this sh.it now by trying to PRETEND this has something to do with post count or self esteem, I just call it like I see it! I just think it's funny when you little bit.ch nigga Crapple users try to act like Crapples are all big and bad but yet you still have the need to use Windows on your piece of sh.it Crapples.

Makes perfect sense right?
    Please specify what makes Apple computers a "piece of sh.it". You've made absolutely no logical arguments.

For the record, people install Windows on their Macs:

a) Because sometimes their jobs or personal preferences require the use of Windows or Windows-only programs.

b) Because they are tech-happy geeks that like to have the best of both worlds and always want the latest and greatest.

c) Because they can. Which is more than you can say.

Of course, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of Mac owners don't have Windows installed alongside OS X. I'm one of them. I did originally, when I bought my first Mac 3 years ago, but after selling that iMac for a Macbook Pro, I determined I had absolutely no use for Windows. And I still don't.