+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Psystar Hacks Snow Leopard for PCs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Longtime Apple antagonist and cloning maven Psystar is up to its usually tricks again. Psystar has come out with "Rebel EFI", which enables the latest version of Mac OS X
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Psystar Hacks Snow Leopard for PCs

Longtime Apple antagonist and cloning maven Psystar is up to its usually tricks again. Psystar has come out with "Rebel EFI", which enables the latest version of Mac OS X to be installed on any PC with a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 and other Intel based systems.

From Apple Insider:
    The "Rebel" hack is likely to get the company in even more hot water as an ongoing legal battle with Apple continues over Psystar's unauthorized computers that ship with Mac OS X preinstalled. Psystar and Apple have been embroiled in a legal controversy over Mac OS X usage since July 2008.
    Bound to agitate Apple to no end, Psystar has placed a $50 price tag on the ability to run OS X on a PC, although this is only a discounted initial rate. And you just know that a fleet of OS X fans will cough up the fee, since Apple has offered no alternative choices in the murky realm in which Psystar and its offerings dwell.

"Featuring Psystar's newest technology for allowing for the smooth interfacing between operating systems and generic Intel hardware," the product description reads, "Rebel EFI allows for the easy installation of multiple operating systems on a single system."
    Like an infection that won't go away, the folks at Apple have worked diligently to put Psystar out of commission, but so far, the company just won't die. Withstanding everything from bankruptcy to the legal challenges from Apple, Psystar seems poised to withstand the obstacles in its path despite their record of questionable business practices and, shall we say, a less than stellar reputation as a result.

A lot of people I know are going to try the free demo version (with "limited functionality," of course) this weekend to see what all the talk is about. But for Psystar, the hype that comes with this announcement is a double-edged sword. Although this latest venture may prove a success and profitable, the company is being sued by Apple for copyright infringement and this hacked Snow Leopard stunt will only give Apple a stronger case to present when the trial begins in January.

Image via Apple Insider

Green Apple
    Thanks

I finally made it first

Thanks

so this will let me install osx on my pc with a Core 2 quad then?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yes, just need a copy of the software and a OSX DVD
    R.I.P - 8GB iPhone - Pwnd - 1.1.4 - T-MobileUSA
    R.I.P 3G- iPhone - All sorts of H4x0r'd
    32gb 3Gs - 3.1.2 Unlocked - AT&T

MacBook (White Uni) - 2.24 - 4GB - 250GB - 10.6.4
    MacBook Pro - 2.0GHz-4GB-320GB - 10.6.1
    MacBook(Aluminum Edish)-2.4GHz-250GB - 10.5.5
    MacBook Air - 1.6 - 80GB -10.5.2 - Lovin' It
    MacBook Pro - 1.83 - 80GB - 10.4.11
    12' PowerBook G4 - 1.5 - 120GB - 10.4.11

Been Cockin' Rockin' and iPhone Unlockin' since v1.0.2.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't someone just make a Windows Version of bootcamp, enabling us windows users to run OSX
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't realize so many ppl wanted to use Leopard and Snow Leopard on their PC, that's pretty sweet. But still they shouldn't have to hack anything, they should figure something out like Boot Camp or Parallels. This could end up costing them a lot more money if Apple gets their way.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple needs to sell their hardware. That's where the money is. Get it while it lasts cause it won't last long.

Thanks

Whats the difference between this an OSx86?

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

i have run both Hackintosh systems and Mac systems. believe me, there is a difference. these hackintosh systems never perform as well as the real deal.
    that said, it was my tinkering with hackintosh that led me to purchase a real iMac....

Thanks

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've been playing with OSx86 and it has made me interested in getting a Mac.

My question was more what is the difference between this "Rebel" that installs OS X on a PC, and the OSx86 project, that puts OS X on a PC.

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

say what,then your not doing ur hackint0sh right,mine have allways benchmark high!!i have a intel e7500.on a giga mobo that benchmarks in the 6600 to 7000..thats good enough for me!!btw those are 5000$ mac pro numbers!!!i spent 500$also ssems to me that rebel is a better version of osxTools...lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    i have run both Hackintosh systems and Mac systems. believe me, there is a difference. these hackintosh systems never perform as well as the real deal.
    that said, it was my tinkering with hackintosh that led me to purchase a real iMac....
    Maybe this is true in your own personal attempt, but it is not true on the whole... If you you have the right hacked linux drivers, and a fast computer with components all compatible with osx86, then there is no difference whatsoever.

I own an iMac G5 and dual-boot osx86 on my laptop with Windows 7... My laptop runs OSX better than my G5...

This is great news to those who want Snow Leopard on their PC, but it sort of isn't new news... There was already a method to use the Snow Leopard retail disc and install it on a PC... just saying.

Thanks

I Don't really understand what all the hype is about.

I have been running Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Windows 7 on my laptop since Snow Leopard came out. ( All Native. no parallels or VMWare) Booting with chameleon "http://chameleon.osx86.hu/"

I am running on an ASUS G2P laptop with a 500GB HDD 4GB Ram and an Intel Duo Core 2 CPU

the ability to be able to run OSX on PCs had been here for a long time.

Heck even the Golden Release of the OSX SL has been on torrents for months before the actual release and people have been running that on there PCs to with no issues.

But if you are going to be doing this just be sure to be ready to go driver hunting. and hope the you have an Atheros Wireless card or compatible..

Just goto this awesome site for all the resources that you need.
    "http://www.osx86project.org/"

Oh and GOOGLE search is your friend when you are doing this
    Last edited by phoenixfire425; 10-23-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added sources
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    //oh here let me translate for you to something that is easier to understand!
    If youTryToBeSmarter Then
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

Thanks

This alowes you to install osx on a core 2 quad

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

can you add your iTunes account on your hackintosh?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    can you add your iTunes account on your hackintosh?
    absolutely!

and then you can use your pawnage tool too!
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    //oh here let me translate for you to something that is easier to understand!
    If youTryToBeSmarter Then
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

17. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenixfire425 For This Useful Post:

phatxskill (10-23-2009)

Thanks
    Default Leopard on pc ?!
    Hey guys ,,,, just wondering if doing this , can you be able to mess with apples SDk ?!?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zguy916 View Post
    Hey guys ,,,, just wondering if doing this , can you be able to mess with apples SDk ?!?
    yes!, running a hackintosh is the same as running a real mac. there is no difference whatsoever. I've been running mac on my Vaio since leopard 10.5.2 and I am even able to install updates direct from apple. Like mentioned before, I had to replace my wifi card to work on Mac since there are no drivers for the original card that came in the laptop (no big deal, got it for 20 bucks on eBay and took me 10 minutes to replace)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dq13 For This Useful Post:

phatxskill (10-23-2009), zguy916 (10-23-2009)

Thanks

I live near this company, when I tried going there I noticed that it isn't open to the public there's just a cristal door with the logo on it...

Thanks

This should be free... Apple is going to take them down. I'm not trying to be negative.