+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Apple Remote

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default New Apple Remote

image via Apple

Almost lost in the welter of announcements today is this slick new Apple Remote. The aluminum, black-on-white handheld controller is compatible with the iPhone, iPods with the Universal Dock, and iMacs with an infrared port.

The Store website touts the new Apple Remote as a single controller for digital content on your Mac:
    The Apple Remote gives you total command of your music, photos, videos, and DVDs from anywhere in the room. It works with Front Row a menu-based, full-screen interface to make accessing the digital content on your Mac as simple as navigating your iPod. When you press the Menu button, your desktop fades and the sleek Front Row interface takes its place to give you control over your music in iTunes, your photos in iPhoto, the videos in your Movies folder, and your DVDs. Turn up the volume. Shuffle. Skip to the next chapter on your DVD. Play a slideshow, a home movie you made in iMovie, even a movie trailer.

Apple describes using the Remote with your iPod/iPhone like this:
    Apple Remote lets you experience your songs, slideshows, and more from across the room. Plug your iPod into the Universal Dock and choose a playlist, slideshow, or video. Then sit back, relax, and enjoy. Ready to move on to the next song? No need to get up. Just press the Next button on the Apple Remote. Getting a call on your iPhone? Press Pause, then pick up where you left off.
    Price is US $19.99... availability in two to four weeks.

adp
    Thanks

Is this bluetooth? I wonder if it can connect to the iPhone and act as a bluetooth track changer for when I'm driving. I have a third party RF remote to change tracks, but I'm sick of getting the message "This device is not compatible..." every time I connect it. I'm also curious if it will work with Pandora or Slacker radio (probably not...unless I get MusicControls?)

EDIT: I just re-read...this is only with the universal dock for the iPhone. Lame.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm from that image, I prefer the old remote but that's just my view. But maybe when they have an actual picture I might like it more.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Honestly, I think they should've left the buttons the way they were. They could have just made the previous remote into an aluminum one and everything would be fine. This new remote is too long and the buttons just don't seem placed right. It feels like a rendering/concept by some random dude. Not Apple-esque at all. Just plain ugly.
    "99 luft balloons"

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mad102190 View Post
    Honestly, I think they should've left the buttons the way they were. They could have just made the previous remote into an aluminum one and everything would be fine. This new remote is too long and the buttons just don't seem placed right. It feels like a rendering/concept by some random dude. Not Apple-esque at all. Just plain ugly.
    That is 100% what I thought when I saw it on the apple website, Looks like something you see on an apple "rumors" site.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Looks great!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    Is this bluetooth? I wonder if it can connect to the iPhone and act as a bluetooth track changer for when I'm driving. I have a third party RF remote to change tracks, but I'm sick of getting the message "This device is not compatible..." every time I connect it. I'm also curious if it will work with Pandora or Slacker radio (probably not...unless I get MusicControls?)

EDIT: I just re-read...this is only with the universal dock for the iPhone. Lame.

Same here i'm a little unclear as to how this thing works with an iphone. So does it require some sort of attachment to your iphone/ipod?
    White 3GS 16GB 3.1.2 Unlocked Currently using
    Black 3G 8GB Backup phone
    White BNIB 3GS 32GB "dust collector"

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 08lexus250 View Post
    Same here i'm a little unclear as to how this thing works with an iphone. So does it require some sort of attachment to your iphone/ipod?
    Yes, I was confused but I read again and you need a "Universal dock" for this to work. A disappointment for us car-iphone users who are looking for a better way to skip tracks, etc.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It seems to me that this is the exact same remote that has been available only in a new packaging with iPod/iPhone capability. Am I wrong or do they offer exactly no new features? "Look, a remote that can control all your media through front row, you may remember it from when we packaged it with every mac sold"

Thanks

Looks really fancy and nice to carry around the house

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 08lexus250 View Post

I don't think it requires an attachment to the iPhone, cuz when I was messing around with my 3Gs I turned on the nike thing and it has an option to turn on/pair to the sensor or a remote.
    Last edited by badass1469; 10-20-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

i like the aluminum

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

That thing look like the old ipod shuffle.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So is it buttons like the current remote.. or is a scroll wheel like a Ipod. that would be pretty cool

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

i need all of this new stuff
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

I love it! i'm getting one of these with my new mac! ^^

iPhone? More like MyPhone picassolsus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    I don't think it requires an attachment to the iPhone, cuz when I was messing around with my 3Gs I turned on the nike thing and it has an option to turn on/pair to the sensor or a remote.
    That's for Nike+ watch remotes has nothing to do with Apple Remote.
    iPhone 3GS 16GB 3.0fw White + Jailbroken

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Use A2DP with AVRCP.