+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Snow Leopard Beats Win 7 in Speed, But Not Gaming

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
image via Dong Ngo/CNET A CNET test has shown that Mac OS 10.6 outperforms the Windows 7 RTM build in general performance, though Snow Leopard fell short in 3D image
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Snow Leopard Beats Win 7 in Speed, But Not Gaming

image via Dong Ngo/CNET

A CNET test has shown that Mac OS 10.6 outperforms the Windows 7 RTM build in general performance, though Snow Leopard fell short in 3D image rendering. However, the tester noted that the Mac is "the only platform, for now, that can run both Windows and OS X."

Snow Leopard needed 36.4 seconds to boot up the MacBook Pro used by CNET's Dong Ngo, while Windows 7 booted in 42.7 seconds. Shutting down the Mac OS took 6.6 seconds as compared to 12.6 seconds for Windows. Battery life was 78 minutes under Windows 7 using a high-demand test, while Snow Leopard stayed alive for 111 minutes under the same conditions.

The test also measured how long it took QuickTime to convert a movie file from the MP4 format into the iPod format while at the same time having iTunes converting songs in the background. The difference between operating systems was stark: the task was done in 444.3 seconds on Snow Leopard versus 723 seconds for Windows. However, there's some wiggle in this benchmark, as QuickTime X was only available for Mac OS. It's not clear how much of the time difference is due to differences between the new version and QuickTime 7.

Windows was clearly on top in making use of the Nvidia 512MB GeForce 9600M GT card on Ngo's MacBook Pro. The test found that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare rendered 26.3 frames per second under Windows 7, compared with just 21.3 frames per second under Snow Leopard.

Overall, Apple doesn't fare as well as one might have imagined on its "home turf." Especially for high-performance 3D graphics, Windows 7 shows impressive results while Apple's advantage seems limited to areas it can control, such as startup and shutdown, as well as native applications.

Ngo's own conclusion?

If you can get by with just software designed by Apple and... if money is not an issue--and it definitely is for most of us--you should get a Mac.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-16-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: comma

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

SL sucks, Windows 7 > SL

I own a MBP too!

First!! Haha!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

glassJAw (10-16-2009)

Thanks

It just depends what you like doing on the computer if playing games and reall good Resolution HD games then a PC will do for quality but its just everyone opinion

Thanks

Get a PS3 for gaming.
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

kainisable (10-16-2009), MetallicaFan1991 (10-16-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So the only area tested where there was a huge difference was the one that could not be tested without some sort of bias? Great. That, coupled with the two other areas which can be fine-tuned and tweaked to the extreme by Apple and should therefore be thrown out, leaves only the iTunes encoding as any sort of accurate comparison, which is somewhat impressive I suppose if you do a hell of a lot of CD ripping, even though I thought the whole point of the iTunes store was to eliminate the need for physical copies of your music.

Also: "However, the tester noted that the Mac is "the only platform, for now, that can run both Windows and OS X."" That statement by the tester is entirely false, almost anybody with an Intel Core2Duo processor can run Mac OS X on their machine, and it's also beginning to reach out to AMD users as well as developers create more fixes to make OS X more compatible with every computer. Though some hardware configurations will be a heck of a lot more compatible with OS X and be far easier to set up, the Hackintosh community is working constantly to make OS X work flawlessly on any x86-based computer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glassJAw View Post
    Get a PS3 for gaming.
    Oh yeah man the best gaming system faster processor then the abox 360 and is capable to put yellowdog OS on it its a computer and a gaming system

Thanks

I will run both Snow Leopard and Win 7 on my Macbook. Even though I used Snow Leopard 95% of the time. I like to have Windows just in case.

Green Apple
    Thanks

the MAC vs PC war is pointless. Both have their ups and downs. If you want something that runs fast and smooth with minimal problems that will get everything done you need done, get a mac. If you need customization, upgradability, and software selections, get a PC. Both come at a price, you get a mac and you dont have as wide of a software selection to choose from as you do PC, and you lack a little bit of customization to your system. You get a PC and you have to deal with more virus's and attacks to your system, as well as losing out on some of the ease and smoothness of the computer.

Gaming is great on both, some (like myself) prefer gaming on a PC rather then a PS3 or 360, but all 4 have games exclusive to them so its user preference.

I think mac is a great system, but its just not built anymore for gaming(it is, but not as well as PC's, mostly because PC's are 1000 times more customizable then macs, so they have more of an opportunity to excel in this field), but definantly out-performs PC's when it comes to anything that has to do with media content and creation.

Thanks

If you want awesome gaming performance, get Windows 7.
    If you want beautiful gaming graphics, get Snow Leopard.
    Don't know? Get yourself a game system.
    Last edited by awesomeSlayer; 10-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I will run both Snow Leopard and Win 7 on my Macbook. Even though I used Snow Leopard 95% of the time. I like to have Windows just in case.
    Me too....
    [SIhttp://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2631011&dateline=1251 526432GPIC][/SIGPIC]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I love windows 7 I think pc has a lot to offer but on the other hand mac is more reliable. It's all user choice

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    So the only area tested where there was a huge difference was the one that could not be tested without some sort of bias? Great. That, coupled with the two other areas which can be fine-tuned and tweaked to the extreme by Apple and should therefore be thrown out, leaves only the iTunes encoding as any sort of accurate comparison, which is somewhat impressive I suppose if you do a hell of a lot of CD ripping, even though I thought the whole point of the iTunes store was to eliminate the need for physical copies of your music.

Also: "However, the tester noted that the Mac is "the only platform, for now, that can run both Windows and OS X."" That statement by the tester is entirely false, almost anybody with an Intel Core2Duo processor can run Mac OS X on their machine, and it's also beginning to reach out to AMD users as well as developers create more fixes to make OS X more compatible with every computer. Though some hardware configurations will be a heck of a lot more compatible with OS X and be far easier to set up, the Hackintosh community is working constantly to make OS X work flawlessly on any x86-based computer.
    Do these intel based PCs install Mac OSX because of the hackintosh community? if so then, maybe that's why he didnt' include it. Maybe he's only referring to Systems tha aren't hacked to get the OS installed... But idk.. Only the tester would know that answer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The reviewer still assumes Macs are more expensive. Matched spec machines, Macs are not more expensive, AND they hold their value better. I know, I've owned and sold several and I'm always surprised at how much I get! Also, unlike most people my primary work app, QLab, is Mac only! How weird is that! That said, I do have a PC at home with Win7 (& a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard), at it's pretty damn nice, a huge improvement over Vista. Still spend 95% of my time on the Mac.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A) My laptop has the capabilities of a MacBook Pro and costs 1/2 the price so I can deal with a 6 second longer shutdown.

B) Who the hell uses a Mac for gaming?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxa View Post
    A) My laptop has the capabilities of a MacBook Pro and costs 1/2 the price so I can deal with a 6 second longer shutdown?
    You probably get less than 1/4 the looks from any of the girls though

END

much love, boxxa
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

kainisable (10-16-2009), steve-z17 (10-16-2009)

Thanks

I already run both on my MBP...I use windows for programs that aren't available on the mac.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

END

Because having a useless argument about which OS is superior to the other is a key trait that all the 'girls' are looking for.

Thanks

END

much love, boxxa
    If ur relying on a Mac to get girls....we gotta talk dude!!!
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

22. The Following User Says Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (10-16-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BitTitan View Post
    Because having a useless argument about which OS is superior to the other is a key trait that all the 'girls' are looking for.
    It either went over your head, or you purposely set yourself up for the troll bait.

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    If ur relying on a Mac to get girls....we gotta talk dude!!!
    Nah dude, I gotz the stunner shades, the shoes, the crip walk, the deep voice and everything else to accompany a metal macbook on my arm
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

It either went over your head, or you purposely set yourself up for the troll bait.

Nah dude, I gotz the stunner shades, the shoes, the crip walk, the deep voice and everything else to accompany a metal macbook on my arm
    lol, however if ur using the C-WALK (crip walk is soooooo 2004) I might advise carrying something else metal made under the arm not carrying the mac book....I'm just sayin!
    Neo Style by k.nitsua....early front runner for THEME OF THE YEAR

Now in a dead heat with liveOS c/o bluemetal....

Let us all welcome the newest fighter to the TOTY ring...iNavHD c/o reeco

25. The Following User Says Thank You to creasy425 For This Useful Post:

dale1v (10-16-2009)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast