Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Manufacturing "Hiccups" Cut iPhone Supply, Especially in Europe

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Manufacturing "Hiccups" Cut iPhone Supply, Especially in Europe

image via Mobile Computer

Apple has demand for more iPhones than it has the ability to supply, and this is worrying the money people who have banked on Apple's success. In particular, there's concern that supply problems - noted in global markets outside the US - will hurt revenue and cause the stock price to drop.

With Apple due to report its quarterly earnings on Monday, Wall Street analysts are going through the manufacturer's sales numbers with a fine tooth comb. While there are many who see boom times ahead for Apple, one in particular, Yair Reiner at the investment bank Oppenheimer has his concerns.

"We believe Apple could report in line to slightly disappointing [fiscal fourth quarter] revenue," he wrote this morning, suggesting investors should wait for Monday's report to buy shares because he thinks the stock price will be cheaper. He blames "component/manufacturing hiccups" for sales he estimates will only reach 6 million by the end of the year.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster is slightly more optimistic, estimating Q4 sales of 7.5 million iPhones but notes that Italian wireless carrier 3 Italia says it could double its sales rate of 20,000 iPhones per month if they only had the supply.

"While supply constraint is an issue near-term," Munster wrote, "we see it as a long term positive, as worldwide demand appears to be very strong for the iPhone 3GS."

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like more underpaid minors need to be hired. J/K Ramp it up Apple! Money, Money, Money!!!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

good thing we are getting out of the resecion!

Thanks

iPhone is taking over the world. If Apple open it's door to Verizon, Then demand for iPhone will be off the chart.

I will empty my kids college funds for Apple Stock.

I wouldn't, if Apple keeps trying to stop jailbreaking, then you will see the demand decline significantly. Jailbroken phones help users that don't jailbreak as well, notice when Apple added copy and paste? Shortly after someone got it working for jailbroken phones. When did Apple introduce the App Store? Only after people started jailbreaking their phones to add additional software.

Bottom line is competition breeds innovation, but if the App store is all that is available, then there is no competition and honestly other platforms, such as Android look more appealing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cmwade77 For This Useful Post:

robogobo (10-19-2009)

Thanks

hopefully it does go down, and apple does sonething drastic as opening up to other carries, that means this is the time to buy some stock soon and make us some money to pay for the next overly expensive phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    I wouldn't, if Apple keeps trying to stop jailbreaking, then you will see the demand decline significantly. Jailbroken phones help users that don't jailbreak as well, notice when Apple added copy and paste? Shortly after someone got it working for jailbroken phones. When did Apple introduce the App Store? Only after people started jailbreaking their phones to add additional software.

Bottom line is competition breeds innovation, but if the App store is all that is available, then there is no competition and honestly other platforms, such as Android look more appealing.
    All Apple needs to do to stop Jailbreaking is to relax the App Store fascism. I only Jailbreak because the Apps I need aren't allowed on the App Store.