+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sanyo's New Camcorders Tap Apple’s iFrame

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Sanyo's New Camcorders Tap Apple’s iFrame

Image via Wired

Apple's latest video format, iFrame, is intended to make camcorders more efficient across the video production landscape (particularly in exporting video). And Apple has teamed with Sanyo to help push iFrame onto the world's digital video stage.

From Wired's Gadget Lab:

Apple is aiming to make camcorders more friendly to the user. Or at least, it wants to make importing and editing video easier. To this end, it has revealed a brand-new video format called iFrame, and it is included in the latest iMovie update. This would be useless on its own, but Apple has persuaded Sanyo to have its cameras default to iFrame, and two models have already been announced.
    iMovie 8.0.5, which rolled out this past Tuesday, helps camcorders peacefully coexist with the iFrame video format. For now, though, only Sanyo's VPC-HD2000A and the VPC-FH1A support iFrame. But expect that to change.

To be sure, iFrame is a sweet offering from Apple, but its unorthodox video resolution of 960x540 (30fps) is somewhat puzzling, particularly since both Sanyo cameras shoot 1080p at 60fps. This leads Charlie Sorrel at Wired to postulate that "iFrame mode will be a little like shooting jpegs on a RAW-capable camera — easy and quick to use straight from the camera but also of lower quality."

Although iFrame is being billed through Sanyo as a "revolutionary new format" for optimal video production and computer editing, serious videographers take heed. This is more like a toy for an amateur than it is a tool for a professional. Then again, there will likely be no shortage of folks for whom the decrease in file size will compensate for the loss of quality.

Why bother? Because many video cameras shoot in formats that cannot be directly edited. When you hook up a camera to iMovie (or another program) and it says it is “importing”, it is converting the file to a format which can be edited. iFrame, on the other hand, can be edited directly as it comes from the camera.

Green Apple
    Thanks

interesting but Apple = FTW and will always be!

First
    Last edited by cssoz; 10-16-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks

Default maybe
    Maybe a dumb question but can they put out and update to make iphone 3gs use this new format?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I would much rather shooting 1080p, import, edit, and just convert it to the format that I want. This is obviously for amateurs that just want a quick transfer and edit, but maybe this is a start to what may come in the future for professional equipment as well.. hmmmm

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

iFrame will be updated I'm sure. Updated to higher FPS and resolution.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

this is great news for me.. i have been looking at these sanyo recorders for a few weeks now.. looks like i may be picking up a new imac when they are released AND a new sanyo

Quote Originally Posted by khaoticsquirrel View Post
    I would much rather shooting 1080p, import, edit, and just convert it to the format that I want. This is obviously for amateurs that just want a quick transfer and edit, but maybe this is a start to what may come in the future for professional equipment as well.. hmmmm
    i prefer to do the same with high quality stuff, but let face it with a cg-10 sanyo (for example) youre really not gonna make a magnificent quality picture with a $200 camera... this will work great for those of us that want to shoot better than average res videos and have them for out collections or youtube.
    Last edited by VenomousSVT; 10-16-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is cool! i have VPC-FH1

Thanks

Its a very Very nice camcorder

Thanks

ahhh youtube servers are finally overloaded as every 13yr old with this camera will upload some *G*a*Y video, this is only the beginning¿
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Looks like a great camcorder and camera but I am hesitant since it does not have a firewire port on it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

HD is way overrated and bloated. I can get better quality out of my 5yo miniDV with a Leica lens.

So a slightly lower resolution would be welcome.