+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Releases Snow Leopard "Performance Update" for Hard Drive Problem

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple Releases Snow Leopard "Performance Update" for Hard Drive Problem

Image via Apple

Apple is looking to patch things up with a nagging Snow Leopard problem without using a "patch" at all. The computer giant is partial to different language in speaking to the matter. As a result, Apple has come out with a "performance update" to correct a feature in Snow Leopard that makes your Mac's hard drive wind to a screeching halt before hitting the gas and returning to warp speed once again.

Using the announcement to stealthily issue a biting critique of both Apple and Snow Leopard, The Inquirer addressed Apple's admission and proposed fix this morning.

In a statement, Apple said that a feature in Snow Leopard causes the hard drive to "pause"... a problem that is more like what other PC users call a crash and it is bloody annoying. Like most Apple confessions of poor quality, its statement says that the problem of philosophical Macbooks only affects a small number of users. In other words it's just those Mac computers that believe in "thinking differently", just like Steve Jobs has always told them to.
    If you haven't personally experienced this issue, more than likely you don't own one of the following: MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009), - MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008), MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009, MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008), MacBook Air (Mid 2009), MacBook Air (Late 2008), iMac (20-inch, Mid 2009), iMac (24-inch, Early 2009, iMac (20-inch, Early 2009) and the Mac mini (Early 2009).

Rather than patch its shoddy software workmanship, Apple has instead released what it calls a "performance update", presumably because making a computer work right improves its performance. Snow Leopard was supposed to be to Leopard what Windows 7 was to Vista, however it is proving to have even more bugs than its predecessor.
    This non-patch patch comes as hundreds of complaints recently hammered Apple from Snow Leopard users who once again began reporting a bug that wipes clean all data from the main profile after logging into a guest account on their computer. Apple said that issue only occurred “in extremely rare cases.” Nonetheless, Apple is actively working to fix the problem.

While eliminating the data-deletion bug remains an obstacle to conquer, the new "performance update" is at least proving to Snow Leopard users that Apple is taking steps to work out the kinks that we all knew were there long before Apple was willing to admit it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

jiniej (10-15-2009)

Thanks

first again?? :S
    good job fixing that apple!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    phew... so glad i didn't update yet between this and the data loss... i'm glad i'm still with leopard for the time being. maybe when they get to .3 or .4 i'll switch over!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by extremzocker View Post
    first again?? :S
    good job fixing that apple!
    First.. don't they teach you to count in the UK mate? You would be number 2.

I never had any problems outlined above but did the small update just incase.
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickh View Post
    First.. don't they teach you to count in the UK mate? You would be number 2.

I never had any problems outlined above but did the small update just incase.
    lol, he does NOT represent us.

And yeah i've had my MBP for two weeks and run into the stalling issues quite a bit. They're gone now, but it pissed me off quite a bit :/
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Any of you UK residents updated 10.6.1 yet?

It's not showing in SU for me so was just wondering if it hasn't reached these fair shores yet?

***EDIT***

Just found out my MacBook's a bit too old for this update. Hopefully they'll take it back a little further as mine has the occasional "hiccup" since SL.

On further investigation it appears it's not just for SL, it applies to 10.5 as well....

Installation instructions from Apple....

Quit all open applications, then download and install the update for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard.
    Full article here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3901
    Last edited by iGuy; 10-15-2009 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks

i faced this problem yesterday only. with my external firewire hdd, and i was cursing the manufacturer of the hdd. i have updated and things have not gone any worse yet..( i have a 2009 Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz 15")

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

mmm kinda weird i dont get that update and when i download the file tried to install it. It wont let me cuz i had the sdd HD on my air.
     Think Different

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ever since installing snow leopard, my MBP has been freezing CONSTANTLY. I though this update would be my godsend. However my hardware apparently doesn't qualify. I have a 15 in 2.33 Core 2 Duo processor 2GB RAM MacBook Pro. I have 162 GB free on my HD. This is so frustrating, it has taken literally 15 minutes to type this post. Any help would be very much appreciated!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

its good to not see band-aids but actual fixes...

BTW, if anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated...
    http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ml#post4997108
    Last edited by rwin84; 10-15-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe this will fix up the problems i've been experiencing....
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

Thanks

Poseidon, lmfao...
    Last edited by dale1v; 10-15-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

i have a mac mini with snow leopard with no issues
    i gess im lucky

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Default solid update
    I feel bad for the ppl who actually have had their data erased since updating to SNL (). As much as I've wanted to update I haven't and won't til there's a solid version of it. Really just don't want to have to deal with all those bugs...specially since my video card just went out..

Thanks

Haven't had any probs on my 2009 MBP but I installed the update anyway.
    Apples taste good.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

I guess I don't need the updated. But it did freeze on me early today.

Thanks

This always happens with software updates, things have to get fixed as issues come up...just like app store apps...

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

i really should listen when they say wait a couple months to upgrade to a new OS.
    Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

iPhone? More like MyPhone gsmumbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. I didn't know this issue existed. It was getting so bad I was about to send my HDD back to the manufacturer(replaced it with 3rd party HDD) but as soon as I ran the update... haven't had a single problem yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruejl View Post
    Haven't had any probs on my 2009 MBP but I installed the update anyway.
    Ditto. Snow Leopard's been treating my quite nicely actually. I'm a graphic designer and I use it very heavily for work.

Not really sure what all the fuss is about...