Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple.com Goes Dark, Conspiracy Theorists Unite

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple.com Goes Dark, Conspiracy Theorists Unite

Image via AfterDawn.com

This morning I found myself reading the Washington Post online and stumbling across how Apple's website actually went dark last night. Personally, I didn't notice. But according to MG Siegler of Tech Crunch in a piece carried by the Post, a "big boy" crashed last night.

No, I'm not talking about the Apple Store being taken down for its routine maintenance. I'm talking about the entire site being down, returning a "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" error for about 15 minutes now.
    A crash for Apple isn't an every day occurrence. Using Akamai to serve the website and its content, the Apple site was down everywhere, according to Siegler who quickly ran some tests. Typically, when Apple turns off the lights its because a major change or update is coming.

Well, that didn't happen. But it certainly is making people wonder what's up.

That's fairly crazy, and likely points to a an original source server error not on Akamai's end. But still, you'd think Akamai would have have a cache to serve rather than an error.
    Since looking into the matter myself, I have already encountered more than just a handful of conspiracy theorists who say there's something rotten in Denmark. Was Apple.com intentionally taken down last night for a reason yet to be made public? I have no answers to report on that front, only the questions I am hearing from others.

Let's break out those conspiracy theories. I blame Twitter.
    In and of itself, the outage isn't major news, but as major media outlets and other blogs continue to reported it, a "big story" has been made of a brief glitch that probably holds no significance or untold secrets.

Of course, if you think I'm wrong, please weigh in on the matter and let us know why you think differently.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

gcalpacket (10-14-2009), tattoojack (10-14-2009)

Apple.com actually went down? Umm.
    Yea well, some error I suppose, not a big deal to get so worked up about.
    Some people will just go around making false accusations and dumb people will believe them...
    I mean really so what if the site went down, Server failed so what o_o.
    Simply there is no Conspiracy, otherwise if there was, apple would have said something to the public.
    Last edited by eZStaR; 10-14-2009 at 06:16 AM.

-Win7 Ultimate Retail Dualboot with Mac OSX 10.5.8 On PC, Core 2 Duo, 4GBRam, 300GB Drive, 500GB External, Nvidia Geforce 8400GS

Well, I say nothing can work 100% all the time.
    I love my iPhone Cydia style.

Yup! I totally agree with eZStaR.
    Peoples get hyped up so easily for simple things theses days, and alot other believe what they read on the internet

Correct me if i'm wrong but TECHNOLOGY DOES fail, does it not?!

Looks like this is new? Or did i miss out on this?

Apple's Recycling Program?
    Apple - Recycling Program

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJob View Post
    Looks like this is new? Or did i miss out on this?

Apple's Recycling Program?
    Apple - Recycling Program
    I've never noticed that before. Either way, it's a great idea!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post
    Since looking into the matter myself, I have already encountered more than just a handful of conspiracy theorists who say there's something rotten in Denmark
    What's in Denmark?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sounds like someone tripped over a power cord. Nothing is perfect.

iPhone? More like MyPhone waroftyr's Avatar
    Thanks

try the weather, here in cupertino we dont get a whole lot of big storms with high winds that cause power outages. obviously bad enough that my college less than a mile from apple had to shut down for power outages. no news here.

My guess is that the hiccup was likely due to microsoft finally deciding to just take over apple instead of endlessly battling them:

Phase one: Web takeover

Phase two: Steve Jobs will be replaced with Microsoft made android.

We can probably expect a large decrease in Jobs' rhetorical skills at the next MacWorld

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    when apples HQ blows up ill be interested till then the roumors are nothing but a huge snore fest

Microsoft did it
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

thats my avatar

Thanks
    Sometimes things just break down and need to be fixed... Thats how the world works..

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

Default Redundancy
    I would say the real reason so many people get all antsy when something like the Apple website goes down is because of simple standards used by corporations, redundancy. Everything has a backup and some backups even have backups. If a server fails another picks up the slack, I doubt the entire apple website is hosted on a single server, single harddrive, or even single connection. That would be some crazy good equipment to be able to handle the load!

So if a company ever goes down it is either because they meant to, they were hacked and forced down, or a lot of things went wrong at once. This is why you get conspiracy theorists crawling out of the wood work HOPING something exciting is about to happen.

Thanks

"Microsoft did it" LOL thats funny!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

They used blackra1n and got stuck at boot, recovered with pwnage 15 minutes later.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

a system designed by imperfect humans failed?
    no!!!!
    thats impossible!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Obama did it! Man I can't wait until 2012 rolls around and wipes all the idiots off the face of the earth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast