Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Talk of Snow Leopard Bug Resurfaces

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Talk of Snow Leopard Bug Resurfaces

Image via NewTech

Only days after Snow Leopard was released, talk first surfaced (September 12th) of a data deleting bug. Strangely enough, in the last seventy-two hours, the Apple Support message boards have been cluttered with comments from users who report seeing their data lost as the result of this bug in Snow Leopard.

According to iTWire, which is covering the surge in complaints, the bug resets user settings and deletes all user data.

A bug has been reported in Apple's new Snow Leopard version of OS X that can result in the loss of an entire user account's data. The glitch seems to be triggered by using a Guest account and then trying to log back into a regular account.
    Here's what is apparently happening. After a user logs into the 'guest' account and then back into their usual account, the user then discovers that their primary account has been fully reset. The home directory still exists under "/Users/username" but is completely empty.

Speculation is that something makes Snow Leopard treat the regular account like a Guest account, from which by default all data is deleted upon logout.
    Some are theorizing that users who had Leopard before the upgrade and had the guest account enabled are at the greatest risk of losing their data from this glitch.

For now, the simplest proposed solution for this problem (which has proven a disaster for some) is restoring the deleted data from a backup. Inventive solution? No. But, at present, it's how some are guarding against losing everything permanently.

An article on MacFixIt suggests disabling the Guest account entirely, or at least disabling it and then re-enabling it so that it's a native Snow Leopard account. Another suggestion for those who need a temporary account is to create a new Standard account and use Parental Controls to restrict it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It just works

Not good. Hope the fix that.
    I love my iPhone Cydia style.

Wow thats gotta suck for anyone that's happened to

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luppin View Post
    It just works
    i was gonna type- inb4 troll rushes in with old phrase and rolleyes. Too late.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Hope that does not happen to me!

Thanks

Always something wrong with either Tiger Leopard Snow Leopard. I guess there is no perfection in any OS. I still think 10.5.8 was closest to perfection. You can agree with me or not but the most stable OS was Tiger 10.4.11!

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Its still better than vista
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Oh bummer... just installed it the other day... hope I don't run into this....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks

wow wow i can't beleieve something like that happeing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    Always something wrong with either Tiger Leopard Snow Leopard. I guess there is no perfection in any OS. I still think 10.5.8 was closest to perfection. You can agree with me or not but the most stable OS was Tiger 10.4.11!
    Oh, 10.4.11, 10.5.8 compared to 10.6.1?
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

thank god i have a time capsule and it is backing up every hour.. lol

This is ridiculous...Get it together Apple!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    Its still better than vista
    only an apple fanboy can think that losing every piece of data on your computer by logging in once as guest is better than using vista.

Quote Originally Posted by gotem3303 View Post
    only an apple fanboy can think that losing every piece of data on your computer by logging in once as guest is better than using vista.
    ANY thing is better than v***a, it is vile, 7's a lot better (it works)

Default Think Differently
    At least there living up to there old slogan "think differently", logging in deletes all you userdata, it certainly is a feature no other OS has! But i agree, its still better then vista.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gotem3303 View Post
    it does beat a fatal error every other day

Thanks

I must vent. Leopard Sucked!!! Yes I have had many Mac laptops with Tiger Leopard and now Snow Leopard on my AIR. XP rocked and Vista gave me no problems, it was me not reading the directions that brought along its FAIL with me. So, I failed myself?? Leopard froze and updates were needed, but Tiger and maybe Panther were old school friends that were stable and got the job done. All this bootcamp intel stuff really was too powerful for Leopard to handle. It was like a V12 engine running on 87 octane!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikerlx For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (10-13-2009), tattedbass82 (10-12-2009)

Guest account? Phhhh! Yeah right, my guest should feel lucky I let them in. Have a separate account on my computer for "guest" to use? I don't think so, if you don't know the password don't even think about it. Guess account bug solved!
    PS3 ID : glassJAw624 : add it

22. The Following User Says Thank You to glassJAw For This Useful Post:

tattedbass82 (10-12-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast