Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Windows Mobile 6.5 Released... Wait, What?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Windows Mobile 6.5 Released... Wait, What?

image via PCWorld

There's a number of amusing - from the non-Microsoft perspective, of course - reviews out on the Interwebs this week about something called Windows Mobile 6.5. The Macalope remembers - as I had not - that Windows Mobile 7 was supposed to completely pwn the iPhone when it was to be released this year. Instead, we got this "placeholder" release, and one could conclude (though I don't) that Windows Mobile is "doomed to failure."

The Windows Mobile design team acknowledge themselves that the interface was designed in a rushed fashion and is not as complete as they would have liked. The App Store competitor, Windows Marketplace for Mobile, has all of 600 apps on it at this writing, with some apps free and some costing an inexplicable $19.99.

John Herman at Gizmodo calls the new interface "half-assed, to put it kindly," saying "there's no excuse for this." The stopgap release is even more inexplicable in light of the news that Microsoft is slating the full release of Windows Mobile 7 for about six months from now. It's hard to see what they gain from having a half-done system out there.

Underestimating Microsoft is a fool's game. They may not be quick or nimble, they tend to over-promise and under-deliver... but they learn from their mistakes and they are - above all - massive. What Microsoft does will have large and dramatic effects on the industry as a whole.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-11-2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: image URI mistyped

its funny how this site will discriminate microsoft and respect apple =D

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ultimatexpka For This Useful Post:

Carrbone (10-11-2009), florevil (10-11-2009), Hackin' Fool (10-13-2009), saifeeab (10-11-2009), Teoyaomqui (10-11-2009)

Love my iPhone, but in that one screenshot I see two things I wish the iPhone had: customizing the look and File Explorer.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm, when will someone port this over to the iPhone!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

Umm.. so why is a WinMo post on an Apple site?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    Not always, we dislike what Apple has done is that they claimed that "jailbreaking is illegal."
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    Not always, we dislike what Apple has done is that they claimed that "jailbreaking is illegal."
    And we're all terrorist drug dealers!
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
    And we're all terrorist drug dealers!
    And that, too.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks
    Agreed

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

Master Theme Creator (aka Bluemetal) Blue's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,296 Times in 3,353 Posts

as a former wm user: it is not only ugly, its complicated and slow as hell!
    So thank god for you iphones, trust me !

SO, do a jailbreak and you have your wallpapers and use "iFile", a wonderfull File explorer !

how would windows work on the iphone,is that like a replacement for the current software,or that would be like opening an app ?

i love how they have task manager as one of the programs ... bet that will come in handy when the apps start freezing "a la microsoft"

The real reason apple is better (or worse depending on your point of view) is not that apple has some amazing new, never seen anything like it product.

What apple does, is they only release what they know they have mastered, as is evident by there relatively small product line.

Apple did not release a phone, until they knew they had a winner.

Microsoft releases products, just to release products.

Apple is AMAZING at marketing and brand building (yes this prob accounts for over 50% of all iPod sales)

Microsoft puts out ads to do little more then defend itself.

In my opinion, apple is only good as long as Steve Jobs is around.

Most executives push for more and more because they feel thats what makes money. I know how it is on the development side, I'm a programer, and I know that no matter how many times you tell executives that the product is not ready, they will still go out and start selling it.

So do I love apple? Am I an Apple fanboy? NO!!!!
    I love the genius and leadership that is Steve Jobs!

Once he is gone, apple will fall to pieces just like they did before.

But for now... I love my iPhone... (though android is looking GOOD!)
    "What do you want me to do? I'm sorry"

Thanks

I had the HTC Touch original from Sprint and I remember the interface and how complicated it could be but it was fun. The iphone is just easier to learn. Most of these Mobile 6 platform phones have an mini sd cardslot that makes adding movies and songs easier than the iphone without all those updates.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I am both, WM user and iPhone user... the one thing I give to the iphone is speed... you click and app and it opens, hit the Home button and closes. WM is really slogagge and when you "close" an app it really doesn't close, it keeps running on the background (which might be actually good) and that's the reason for a Task Manager as an App on the home screen, because once you run more apps, the phone gets slower and slower, so you go into the task manager and close running apps and then phone free up memmory and starts working again :P

that's my personal opinion and both have pros and cons, afterall, I like the iPhone better I think

"with some apps free and some costing an inexplicable $19.99."

Thank God apple won't sell any app costing more then $6,000 showing only a freaken picture right.

Yeap M$ are dumbasses. ;-)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatexpka View Post
    Not so much the site, but the newer "writers". I have definitely been frequenting MMI much less because of what they call "news"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

kebab2kuk (10-12-2009), xxdobermanxx (10-12-2009)

I had borrowed HTC HD from friend and had it for like a month.
    The only real advantage i see is ability to do anything without much cracking. For idevice,you need to JB first,but then you more/less have the same options. Why do i use iphone as my main device? it just WORKS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast