+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple

Image via Apple Insider

Maybe the reason it's taking so long for Apple to introduce the new products we're looking for (if not downright "inventing" evidence to further our speculation) is because the folks at Apple are too busy with weird legal battles to focus on the work at hand.

After settling out of court last week with Eminem's music publisher, we're now learning from our friends at Apple Insider that Apple is challenging Australian-based Woolworths Ltd over their corporate logo - which, if you hadn't noticed, invokes imagery that Apple apparently believes is too close to their own logo.

Attorneys for Apple have begun a legal response against the largest supermarket chain in Australia over a logo the electronics company says is too similar to its own iconic trademark. Apple, which has a long history of defending its world-famous bitten apple logo, has decided the similarities are a little too close for comfort.
    Apple is concerned that the retailer will begin using the logo on electronic goods and other technologies.

Apple is reportedly making a big splash "down under" as the company has already presented its argument to IP Australia, the agency that governs trademarks, and asked the organization to reject the trademark application put forth by Woolworths.

At a time when Palm, for example, would seem like the most obvious aggressor worthy of combat from Apple's legal team, this scuffle with Woolworths has some Apple lovers like myself scratching their heads and astounded by a building effort that, according to numerous published reports today, suggests a substantial investment of time and money by Apple to see this effort through to a successful conclusion.

Almost one year ago, Apple challenged a Canadian school that used its own apple logo on a storefront with other logos, including Adobe and Microsoft Office, arguing that it could lead to confusion amongst customers expecting one of Apple's stores.
    Hans Hulsbosch, the designer of the Woolworths logo, also seems to think Apple is going a little too far to protect their brand.
    “Based on this logic," Hulsbosch said, "they would have to take action against every fruit-seller."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009), SnowLeo (10-05-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow that's dumb. That looks more like a green pumpkin than an apple.

Gimme a friggin break.

Matt
    WHITE 32GB Verizon iPhone 4 - 6.0.1
    Dual 1.2 Ghz G4, OS X 10.4.11
    2.2 Ghz MacBook, OS X 10.7.5
    69 Nova
    71 Duster

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

this is just sad it doens't even look close to the apple logo i woudlnt' say looks liek apumpkin i would say looks like an apple it's just completely different than the logo everyone knows is apple. this is just sad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009)

Thanks

What a joke ~_~

Thanks

Prior art: an apple existed quite many millenia before this money grabbing suckers did (if I were overly religious, I'd say that the apple comes from the time of Adam and Eve!). Time to boycott Apple and this stupid attitude of theirs. Repeat with me: you do not own the apple.

Thanks

Amazing what people will do these days, that doesn't even come close to resembling the apple logo somewhat similar but the question is who was around first with their logo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ecd5000 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Aussie Pride...Man Up Apple

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoNova View Post
    Wow that's dumb. That looks more like a green pumpkin than an apple.

Gimme a friggin break.

Matt
    I agree entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks

I just took a bite of an apple and set it on my desk. If I take a picture of said apple, and post it on my gallery website, will i get sued and be forced to take the picture down?

/sarcasm

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rescuer For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009), reanimationxp (10-06-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Lol what's going on with apple, they think they own the whole world, no one is able to do nothing or ape will be ofended.

I am hungry I want an apple but I need to ask Apple if I am not going to be sued for eating their logo lol
    Last edited by petterloco1; 10-04-2009 at 10:06 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to petterloco1 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

it seems that apple is taking up a new hobby these days. apple became the king of taking something old and making it look new and selling it back to people that already have that product, and now they want to start to sue people over stupid ridiculous things like this. it seems that this is the only other thing that they are good at now. next thing you know, the apple will belong to apple and it will no longer be allowed to be used any where else. its funny how apple thinks that woolworths a supermarket that sells fruits and vegetables and other foods, will start to put their apple logo on other electronic devices. lol. can anybody say money hungry bastards??

WHO CAN TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS?? AND PLEASE DONT STAIT THE OBVIOUS. (CARTOON AND DUCK)

Last edited by treble26; 10-04-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treble26 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-04-2009), petterloco1 (10-04-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow Apple, that's pretty pathetic. They for one have too much money to complain over this, which it doesn't even resemble it at all imo. 2nd I can see why apple never really listens to us consumers as well on things we want such as bluray and maybe an iPhone that can do everything most free phones come with today such as a2dp like the original iPhone supposedly doesn't support. Apple has just got their head shoved so far up there ***** and they remind me of people that are OCD and Bipolar. Everything has to be done there way and no one knows anything better or more than them.

Just my 2 cents

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Apple they own everything, so if you have any apples in your fridge they can come and take it because it's their logo. Even if you paid for it apple still owns it lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone aglitch's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ecd5000 View Post
    Amazing what people will do these days, that doesn't even come close to resembling the apple logo somewhat similar but the question is who was around first with their logo?
    thats not even the question at all... the logos dont look alike.(period)

i hate apple because of their attitude. it sickens me.

Thanks

Really? They're gonna sue those guys, but not these guys?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Lolz!

I manage for Woolworths!

Most people aren't stupid enough to confuse our branded products with Apple goods! (I do say MOST)

Banned
    Thanks

Suing coz their logo looks like an apple. HAHAHAHA This has to be a joke as there is no way they can be that stupid.

Apple, get a real life. Not everybody thinks the same disturbed way you do.

So instead of fixing the problems in their hardware they would rather put money in to lawyers to sue everyone for anything that looks like an apple.

No wonder people think Apple suck. They just give us more proof like this.

Thanks
    I just love it when any press org. mis-represents or only partilly represents the facts.

Here is the complete Woolworths/Safeway corporate branding specifically stating 'fresh food & liquor'. The new logo is the joining of two Aussie supermaket (= food chains) Safeway and Woolworths. The have over 700 supermarkets, 19,000 employees and 13 million customers (taken from thier web site).

Slogan " the fresh food people"
    http://woolworths4.smedia.com.au/Oli...sh/default.htm

The 'device'(fancy shaded fat W) will never appear in press without the Company name & slogan !

Come-on Apple get real!!

/Cherokee - A proud Aussie!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple-w-1.jpg   Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple-w2.jpg   Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple-safeway2.jpg   Another Bizarre Legal Battle to Distract Apple-safeway-2-300x64.jpg  
    Last edited by cherokee; 10-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I shop at Woolies all the time. Never noticed the similarity of Apples Logo to theirs.

What next. Will they sue mother nature for growing their logo on trees for free?

Thanks

I say we should just email steve jobs every single logo we can find that includes an apple, that way the ALMIGHTY APPLE OVERLORDS will have less work to do when they attempt to take over the world