Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Touch Will Make Everything Better

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How Touch Will Make Everything Better

image via OpEdNews.com

In the wake of intriguing hints about a new multi-touch keyboard from Apple and a similar product from Microsoft, pundits and observers have been speculating about our brave new virtual-keyboardin' future.

Mike Elgan at Computerworld wrote a clever essay about some key reasons why on-screen keyboards will be better than the boxes-with-rows-of-buttons that have been the input method of choice since the days of Apollo 13:

1. Customizability
    Virtual keyboards will allow for a really broad array of different layouts, from Dvorak to chorded to anything the mind can imagine. It'll also allow users of ideographic languages like Chinese to devise more efficient ways to input chatacters.

2. Haptics
    Although not included in the patent application by either Apple or Microsoft, the technology of haptics - extremely subtle tactile clues, RumblePak-type vibrations that tell your fingers where they are and what's going on - is coming into its own at the same time. When playing a pinball game on a prototype tablet made by Immersion Corporation, a user was able to "feel a metal ball rolling on a hard surface." This technology will allow for much more detailed interactivity in things beyond the world of gaming.

3. Speed
    Elgan asserts that predictive typing - the auto-complete feature that replaces a popular expletive with the word "duck" in the iPhone's default dictionary - will increase in sophistication and accuracy. He also notes that the absence of a lag for keys to be depressed, as well as integrating cursor control in the same surface as the keyboard will add up to a leap in speed one users become accustomed to them.

4. Cleanliness.
    Keyboards have 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat. Nuff said.

5. Upgradability
    With the right adaptor, you can use an XT keyboard on your new Alienware box. That keyboard, though, has the same functionality as when it was new in 1985. Virtual keyboards can be modified and extended by firmware upgrades and hacks, and that will allow for innovation through experimentation.

6. Bigger screens
    Finally, the fact that a visual keyboard can appear and disappear when needed means that the entire screen will become a touch surface in applications like graphics and gaming... and your entire desk can potentially be the computer desktop.

We don't know what directions touch technology will take computing in years to come. The beauty of it, though, is that it's potentially limited by nothing but the imagination. Instead of being locked into a technology that was intentionally set up to make us type slower, the keyboards of the future can be cleverly designed to - literally in some cases - get out of our way.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 10-04-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: edit link text

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

keysloser (10-05-2009), robgoral (10-07-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

what's the point?

I'll be great. Just think about "moving things" on the screen, not just a mouse or a Wacom pen (Sorry "Cintiq", game is over, slow down your prices). Times of intearctivity are so close now. I'll be just about creativity put on soft design, no limits.

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

i'm down with just a normal keyboard a big keyboard on touch using home row just not sure how that will feel it'll be weird. also isn't the picture used not touch screen? it was just like finger motions or am i not remembering correctly?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    the point of what? virtual keyboards? the future!! minority report was actually right about this! this is the future! transparent all-in-ones! this is what the future of computers will be, and i'm stoked! bring on the new-age technology!

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

fact that minority report actually moved past the TOUCH bit because it was all about gestures and movement of the hand and fingers. where as touch would always be about a physical thing with the system.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chstriker11 View Post
    the point of what? virtual keyboards? the future!! minority report was actually right about this! this is the future! transparent all-in-ones! this is what the future of computers will be, and i'm stoked! bring on the new-age technology!
    Rubbish!

The future will be voice controls, virtual keyboards and the like are just stop gap products.

Thanks

Apple went way too far on touch devices. Using a touch keyboard for gaming? I don't think so.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Quote Originally Posted by pauldanielash View Post
    Wouldn't touch just make monitors just as disgusting?

Your articles are poorly implemented with current news it's like you find one relevant thing and try to fill your "poem" with improvised details deriving from opinion. I'm sorry bro I just liked coming here to learn what apples up to but that's changed with you new writers.
    IPhone 3GS Black 16GB 3.0
    Mac Mini Intel OSX 10.5.7

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneDummy
    Help!!! My right speaker isn't working!

Ironic. Computers used to take up entire walls and we've just spent all this time trying to get them to be smaller. Now they are, I can't think of anything i want more than a touch screen computer that would take up one of my walls.
    Stock Just Doesn't Cut It

Thanks

The iphone is the best we are going to get in the 21st Century. Maybe the itablet will be bigger but will continue the basic functionality of the iphone no matter what size the itablet comes in or OS by apple. I think the ipod touch will eventually replace out all the ipod nano and ipods. I think the Macbook Air will be the new Macbook and completely replace the plastic white updated future models.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

interesting..
    the bacteria thing is nasty though.
    cant wait to see what the future holds

Give the guy a break and STAY ON TOPIC please. If you do not have anything to say about the virtual keyoard or the Apple tablet then do not comment.

I think this is very exciting and adds to the hype of the expected Apple Tablet.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (10-05-2009)

An article well written is always appreciated.

Speculating our brave new virtual-keyboardin' future, may or may not turn to be what actually happens but it surely is fascinating...

I can't help but imagine a virtual photoshop palette and tools on the screen...
    Really hope touch technology goes in that direction.
    Last edited by keysloser; 10-04-2009 at 06:01 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to keysloser For This Useful Post:

mbaharvard (10-05-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone HungryHungryNico's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Your articles are poorly implemented with current news it's like you find one relevant thing and try to fill your "poem" with improvised details deriving from opinion. I'm sorry bro I just liked coming here to learn what apples up to but that's changed with you new writers.
    Wow. You have a problem with him using current news? He certainly isn't going to use past news. Never heard of future news. Unless whatever he says comes true. That would be interesting. As a writer, he should give his opinion. Especially if he gives details as of why, which can help us understand the article. You liked coming here to learn about what Apple is up to. Funny, that's what the article is about.

Anyway, interesting to hear the news of this. It's exciting to think about what the future holds.

Contrary to what some idiots have said before me, I think this will be amazing. I've often dreamed about a virtual keyboard/computer
    If I helped then hit the thanks button...

Thanks

My thoughts on a virtual keyboard is it could happen but I doubt apple will produce it. There are still the physical keyboard preference over the iphone basically virtual keyboard, so if there is a virtual keyboard there will always be a demand for physical in the world marketplace. Exciting for any and all innovation from the Apple company.

What is the point of a touch screen keyboard? Well if you use any graphical interface using things like Photoshop or After Effects will become a lot easier. I for one am looking forward to the extra real estate when it come to programs like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xagest View Post
    Wouldn't touch just make monitors just as disgusting?
    no.. you can clean glass much easier than a normal keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast