+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Building a Better Mouse?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
image via Engadget A report in AppleInsider today asserted that Apple is preparing an update to the "MightyMouse" for release with the new iMac in fall. Later, an FCC filing
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Building a Better Mouse?

image via Engadget

A report in AppleInsider today asserted that Apple is preparing an update to the "MightyMouse" for release with the new iMac in fall. Later, an FCC filing showing a new Bluetooth mouse was shown briefly on the FCC's website before it was taken down. Fortunately, Engadget captured the image above before it disappeared.

According to reports, the new mouse will do away with the scroll wheel in favor of a touch-sensitive surface, possibly controlled using methods described in a patent filing Apple made in 2006. In that filing, iPhone interface designer Brian Huppi discussed a touch-sensitive mouse with two operating modes. "The method generally comprises first sensing in which hand position the mouse is being held, each hand position indicating a corresponding mode of operation of the mouse," Huppi wrote. "If the mouse is being held in a first hand position, the mouse performs according to a first mode of operation, whereas if the mouse is being held in a second hand position, the mouse performs according to a second mode of operation." The notes suggested the first mode of operation may be a cursor control mode the second mode may be a pan and/or scroll control mode.

The reports also indicate that the touch-sensitive mouse will also use multi-touch capabilities - like those on the iPhone - to extend interactive control. Such a method was described in a 2007 patent by Apple. Details are unavailable as yet, but possibilities include creating virtual buttons on the mouse surface, and programmable functions for various multi-finger taps and movements.

The Mighty Mouse is currently on two-to-three week backorder, like other products that reports have said are going to be refreshed. This is an indication that the new mouse may well be shipped along with those new Mac models, possibly as soon as this month.

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

Wasn't there something about a touch sensitive mouse a little while ago?

Excited to see what updates they're going to make to the iMac, but what about the keyboard? It seems to be the least changed Apple Product.
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

Green Apple
    Thanks
    OMG Finally! You guys have no idea how many mighty mouses I've gone through. I'm about to buy a new one because my current mouse won't scroll down, I've tried cleaning it and what not but no luck. I think i'll wait a few more weeks for this new one to come out.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Its about time because I hate the Apple mouse.... it frustrates me to no end....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

would be kinda kool if they put in a second button like a right click, just incase the user would like to rune boot camp and not need to swap mouses every time they do.
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Thanks

I hated the mighty mouse so much that I purchased the Logitech bluetooth mouse. It works great too!
    Last edited by drflaco216; 10-02-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misspelled word

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

no problems with my mouse i actually like it
    just mad that apple is apparently refreshing their mac 2 months after i just bought one for 2 grand

Thanks

I'll just wait a few more weeks to get my first mac! ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

The touchpad on my MBP is all I need

Green Apple
    Thanks

The current Mighty Mouse does have a second button for 'right-clicking'. Just click on the right side of the mouse.

Thanks

That would be nice. My Mighty Mouse has been acting up for several months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    would be kinda kool if they put in a second button like a right click, just incase the user would like to rune boot camp and not need to swap mouses every time they do.
    You do realize that you can enable right and left clicking feature for the apple mouse from system preferences right?

Just go to System Preferences --> Mouse (or Keyboard/Mouse on Leopard), Then where it has an arrow point to the right and left side they will both say "primary click" but you can change either one to say "secondary (left) click"

Sorry if you wasted money and time by apple not having this feature enabled on installation but hope i helped. (hit "thanks" if i did (:

Also, the secondary click acts as a command click

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So with all this talk of new Apple product coming sounds fun. So how about this. I order a 3gs and a macbook pro last week. The shipping information of both said it would be delivered today. I got the iphone. I checked the status of the MBP and it says it is still on time and what not, BUT it says it is still in china and just left the shipping facility WTF is up with that? lol