+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Making a Habit of "Shovelware?"

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
image via ZDNet Apple's Software Update utility has been installing an enterprise iPhone profile management tool on Windows PCs that had accepted the default update suggestions, even if the users
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Making a Habit of "Shovelware?"

image via ZDNet

Apple's Software Update utility has been installing an enterprise iPhone profile management tool on Windows PCs that had accepted the default update suggestions, even if the users had never used an iPhone. Although Apple pulled the utility from the default list later Monday, some observers raised objections about Apple's seeming propensity to push unnecessary software on Windows users.

Users of Apple Software Update for Windows who accepted the suggested updates found the iPhone Configuration Utility - including an Apache web server - was installed onto their PCs Monday. The utility - as UK blogger Simon Bisson of itexpertmag.com noted in a Twitter update later that day - is actually an enterprise-grade tool for network administrators, who use it to create and deploy device profiles so users can securely connect to a company's Exchange mail servers.

This is not the first time Apple has been caught red-handed shoveling unnecessary software to Windows users of Apple Software Update, nor the first time they quietly removed the update without comment or explanation. In early 2008, users who had installed iTunes on their systems got Safari as a default update, even if they had never installed the Apple web browser. After the ensuing uproar, Apple changed the Updates list so that the browser was no longer included as a default.

Similarly, Apple removed the iPhone Configuration Utility from the default list by midday on the East Coast yesterday, but did not make any statement as to why the enterprise utility had been placed on the list in the first place.

Some [ame="http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034678056&postcount=21"]observers[/ame] suggested the common-sense expedient of uninstalling Apple Software Update if they had a concern, or, similarly, checking the Updates list before clicking the Install button, and deselecting any unwanted items. However, the great majority of users may not be so cautious, and benefit from the ease of use of the Software Update tool. Apple risks alienating many users by forcing unwanted software on them, either by accident or by design.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

inspirit (09-29-2009), kirkie1 (09-29-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

i still think people should look at the list before installing the software. maybe after reading this users will pay more attention?

iPhone? More like MyPhone law111's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollow0 View Post
    i still think people should look at the list before installing the software. maybe after reading this users will pay more attention?
    Smart
    iPhone Firmware - 4.1
    Service - AT&T
    Device - iPhone 4 BLACK 16GB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Makes You Buy Mac
    The idea behind this is simple. Put as much apple software on the Windows PC as possible, and the Windows user is more likely to buy a Mac the next time that Windows user buys a new computer.

I wonder what everyone would say if Microsoft said we could only install Windows on Microsoft hardware...
    Or when the "Microsoft Phone" is introduced, will they limit WinMo 7 to only their hardware?

@Hollow0 @law111... if only the general public had the intelligence you're talking about

@Rota... agreed

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    It's still unnecessary to be putting this crap under the default update list. I remember when they did this with Safari a while back and it really is just annoying and pretentious on Apple's part. I just uninstalled the update manager after that because I'm tired of their ****.
    Agreed. I just think it's funny that Apple of all companies is doing this. Everyone acts like Apple can do no wrong. If this was Microsoft doing this they'd be sued.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ggab View Post
    Agreed. I just think it's funny that Apple of all companies is doing this. Everyone acts like Apple can do no wrong. If this was Microsoft doing this they'd be sued.
    If MS had tried to pull a stunt like that, it would be the lead story on the evening news everywhere in the english speaking world....and of course the EU would have them in court TOMORROW!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHSKayak View Post
    The idea behind this is simple. Put as much apple software on the Windows PC as possible, and the Windows user is more likely to buy a Mac the next time that Windows user buys a new computer.

I wonder what everyone would say if Microsoft said we could only install Windows on Microsoft hardware...
    Or when the "Microsoft Phone" is introduced, will they limit WinMo 7 to only their hardware?

@Hollow0 @law111... if only the general public had the intelligence you're talking about

@Rota... agreed
    yes if only, but microsoft adds unneccessary updates to their windows updates as well. you just have to go through and deselect what you don't want. So it's not like Apple is the only one. But yesss i do agree they shouldn't be doing that and you can't rely soley on people knowing what and what not to install.

"microsoft phone"???

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So when are the companies that install ****** toolbars by default gonna get chastized?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (09-30-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NHSKayak View Post

@Rota... agreed
    Umm they would have to force software onto us Windows users that did some pretty hardcore stuff because so far anything that gets forced on us like this (this iphone junk and Safari for sure) is worthless. I only use Safari on my iPod Touch because I have to if I had the choice and Mozilla made a mobile version of FireFox you can be damned sure I would uninstall Safari (annoying *** browser) Of course on the iPod Touch/iPhone Safari is just like a basic browser but on Mac its the equivalence of IE (grant it I would still pick Safari over IE god I hate IE)

Anyway what I'm trying to say is 2 things 1. Apple software that runs on PC wouldn't make me switch to mac because guess what the software I want is running on windows already and 2. Any Software the Apple develops is usually junk and you can get a universal version that runs on both Windows and Mac better than Apples version.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why would this encourage anyone to go buy a Mac? When I'm presented with default selections for unsolicited software that I'm not even remotely interested in, my first thought is that this is not a company I want to rely on.

I feel the same way about software that, by default, installs a browser toolbar. The only difference is that it's generally free software from small companies that are just trying to pay the bills. However in Apple's case I've shelled out a small fortune for an iPhone which locks me into iTunes with no other options, and iTunes installs this crappy update manager by default and then it tries to install a 100% completed unrelated software package (Safari) to me. This is beneath Apple........ or at least it used to be.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The bottom line is this, any company that has an "update manager" is stupid and usually unhelpful

I'm fine with programs checking for updates on startup, but otherwise I uninstall any so called update managers. Apple, Googles, Adobe, hell now adobe makes you use a special update manager just to download flash for the first time.

I don't give a crap what company is doing it, the bottom line is end users need to educate themselves and actually read **** before clicking yes.

Most users who were "alienated" by Apple offering Safari were the users who actually read and saw that Safari was being offered and had to uncheck a friggin box...give me a break. The average idiot user just clicked yes, now has Safari installed, and will still use IE anyway and so the cycle continues.
    Last edited by qumahlin; 09-29-2009 at 05:01 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone know what is the news on the 3.1 3gs jailbreak it's almost a month and no news on what is going on is the 3.1 no more jailbreak

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

just deselect the sh!t you dont want...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qumahlin View Post
    The bottom line is this, any company that has an "update manager" is stupid and usually unhelpful

I'm fine with programs checking for updates on startup, but otherwise I uninstall any so called update managers. Apple, Googles, Adobe, hell now adobe makes you use a special update manager just to download flash for the first time.

I don't give a crap what company is doing it, the bottom line is end users need to educate themselves and actually read **** before clicking yes.

Most users who were "alienated" by Apple offering Safari were the users who actually read and saw that Safari was being offered and had to uncheck a friggin box...give me a break. The average idiot user just clicked yes, now has Safari installed, and will still use IE anyway and so the cycle continues.
    Word. I mean, not that i agree with Apple for putting on unneeded updates (mobile me control panel?!!?!?!!) but as a user i think you are responsible for READING WHAT YOU ARE INSTALLING.

For instance, today my mom was a victim of one of those sites that claims you have a virus, then WHILE IN THE FIREFOX WINDOW, shows you a giant fake .gif of "my computer" being taken by a virus. Then a pop-up window that claims it will remove a virus.

Now i know this is different, Apple is being much more discreet and less abrasive, but the point is, anybody who uses a computer regularly SHOULD have basic knowledge enough to catch these things.

The point i am trying to make is that there is such a thing as "computer common sense". ANYTIME that ANYBODY makes a change to their computer (especially something as simple as a software update) it is the users responsibility to READ what the heck they are doing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation itunes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    I agree
    this is getting out of hand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    If MS had tried to pull a stunt like that, it would be the lead story on the evening news everywhere in the english speaking world....and of course the EU would have them in court TOMORROW!!!
    That would be only because of MS' history or abusing its monopoly power would warrant an investigation.

Movie Player? Silverlight? Windows Search 4.0? .Net Toolbox? Search Assistant? Office Assisant (aka clippy)
    MS would NEVER do such a thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    shouldn't have to, end of story. you're the guy that's ok with unchecking the Ask.com toolbar in every f***ing piece of software you install. i'm not.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, you know, you guys are right. Just read what you're installing and unselect what you don't want.

In other words, you can no longer trust Apple the way you once did, even for things that should be as simple and straightforward as "updates".

No, sadly today we have to treat Apple like all the other bottom-dwellers out there and carefully read the fine print because chances are that Apple's trying to scr*w us. That's the reality, get over it, the company that has worked so hard at winning over your hearts is really just a pig with lipstick.

It's funny how small but avoidable mistakes like this can be so telling about a company.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I always felt like apple degraded the performance on window apps, for some apparent reason i dont trust them. Since they are a mac company and against pcs, with all those mac commercials, they could do something small on the pc version and then not care about it ...

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

no windows for me