+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 43 Cent Big Mac Attack is Back

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Image via Techrant Computerworld is reporting that a group of Russian malware writers and their antics prove that Macs are becoming increasingly larger attack targets. According to information the publication
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default 43 Cent Big Mac Attack is Back

Image via Techrant

Computerworld is reporting that a group of Russian malware writers and their antics prove that Macs are becoming increasingly larger attack targets. According to information the publication learned this week, the aforementioned Russian spammers reportedly pay hackers 43 cents for every Mac they infected with "bogus video software."

In a presentation Thursday at the Virus Bulletin 2009 security conference in Geneva, Switzerland, Sophos researcher Dmitry Samosseiko discussed his investigation of the Russian "Partnerka," a tangled collection of Web affiliates who rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars from spam and malware, most of the former related to phony drug sites, and much of the latter targeting Windows users with fake security software, or "scareware."
    In a long and detailed presentation, one shred of evidence after another was offered to validate the many tactics employed by both the "Partnerka" and their associates - "codec-partnerka" - to sell and distribute "fake Mac software."

One example, which has since gone offline, was Mac-codec.com, said Samosseiko. "Just a few months ago it was offering [43 cents] for each install and offered various promo materials in the form of Mac OS 'video players,'" he said.
    For years, many reasons, excuses, and technologies have been presented as to why Macs will be "eternally shielded" from the hackers and spammers who have destroyed innumerable PCs. But wherever there is money to be made, there will be progress made. And, unfortunately, the business of Mac attacks is growing highly profitable for those capable of widespread machine infection.

"The growing evidence of financially-motivated criminals looking at Apple Macs as well as Windows as a market for their activities, is not good news -- especially as so many Mac users currently have no anti-malware protection in place at all," said Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant at U.K-based Sophos, in a blog entry Thursday.
    So what does this mean for the future? More than likely, we will see a greater effort on the part of Apple and security software makers to step up traditional safeguards. Even though threats to the Mac are not an every day occurrence, they do take place. And usually, those that make an impact are substantial.

Last year, as you may recall, Mac security vendor Intego alarmed the Mac community with a waning about an active Trojan horse that "exploited a vulnerability in Apple's Mac OS X." Earlier this year, another Trojan was found through pirated copies of Apple's iWork '09 application suite.

Mac OS X's security has been roundly criticized by vulnerability researchers, but even the most critical have acknowledged that the Mac's low market share -- it accounted for just 5% of all operating systems running machines that connected to the Internet last month -- is probably enough protection from cyber criminals for the moment.

Thanks

Only .43 cents? How cheap.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iN2K View Post
    Only .43 cents? How cheap.
    agreed lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

omg thats exactly how i sit in my chair too!!

Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Thanks

i love lamp!!and meh on 43 cents,i bet there best hackers are in line for that!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Boker's Avatar
    Thanks

lolz at the guy in the chair. .43c that can get me a half of a beer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boker View Post
    lolz at the guy in the chair. .43c that can get me a half of a beer.
    You drink pbr I assume?

Thanks
    Well this isn't good for Mac users. Does this mean anti-virus for Mac?

Hit "Thanks" if I helped

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

$.43 per? That can add up real damn quick.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I have Norton on my MBP anyway, just in case

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

iAntiVirus = free protection
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

MetallicaFan1991 (09-27-2009)

Thanks

The low price just motivates them to infect as many Macs as possible, say goodbye to not being able to aimlessly click away on the internet without having to fear malware.

Thanks

Geee... and those stupidazz "i'm a Mac" commercials would have me believe that Mac's cant get virus's, malware, etc! Hmmmmmmm...

Just another load of BS from crApple I guess....
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my Mac's... and that is what I loved so much is you didn't have to worried about crap like this..... $.43 is a lot to those dudes they hired to do this... I figured in time Mac's would have to have as much protection and windows do...

But I sure hope not... its so nice to cruse around and do what you want without dealing with all that crap that windows users do.... I like my freedom! I hope Apple stays on top of this!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I figured in time Mac's would have to have as much protection and windows do... !
    More... unless Apple makes changes. OSX currently the least secure OS out there..
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow what a surprise, an Anti-Virus company spreading scare stories about Mac Viruses.

Surprised they didnt advertise their product directly after it

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

That's sound like a good deal. I would start with my parent mac, then my brother, then my friends. This could add up :-)

Thanks

I have an anti virus but its always off. I scan my laptop once a month and haven't had a virus in years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    Geee... and those stupidazz "i'm a Mac" commercials would have me believe that Mac's cant get virus's, malware, etc! Hmmmmmmm...

Just another load of BS from crApple I guess....
    LMAO and that is their selling point in the stupid Mac commercials.

"Macs don't get Virus."

LMAO

Thanks

OSX (Snow Leopard) is MORE vulnerable than Windows 7 or Vista. Some hacker even warned Apple, but they did not take heed. The only reason Apple computers aren't spammed as much as Windows is because Apple has 10% of the market share, at the most. So for every one Mac a hacker infects there are ten PCs he or she missed.