+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Tablet To Have Pen Interface

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
image via Gizmodo Billing it as "kung fu eagle claw to Apple's tiger style," Gizmodo has highlighted a breathless review of the Microsoft Courier tablet. The device is said to
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Tablet To Have Pen Interface

image via Gizmodo

Billing it as "kung fu eagle claw to Apple's tiger style," Gizmodo has highlighted a breathless review of the Microsoft Courier tablet. The device is said to be a "late prototype," and is in a "booklet" form factor with two seven-inch touchscreens connected by a hinge. But the main way in which the demo shown in Gizmodo's piece differs from most visualizations of the Apple tablet is the inclusion of an almost anachronistic interface devide: a pen.

The pen, or stylus, brings up memories of the Newton, which almost no one (including myself up until about ten seconds ago) remembers as Apple's failed PDA. It appears from the demo that the pen is an optional or secondary input method: although no keyboard is shown, gestures are also used to control the device and manipulate various pieces of media.

The demo is very graphically appealing, but there's no real indication of exactly how to use the device. There's an "Apps" screen that appears to come up with a pinch, and something like a Home button in the device's hinge. It'll be interesting as more details leak out how much Microsoft is cribbing from Apple interface design (long time no see, Windows 3.1!) and how much they're going in a new direction (Microsoft Bob?)

Seriously, Redmond-bashing is easy, but the general-purpose tablet is unknown territory. Apple has certain advantages in both interface design and general brand coolness, but it's worth remembering that they had that in 1984, before being utterly crushed by ugly, uncool, hard-to-use Windows boxes.

This is about to get interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Are you serious, Way to steal my article
    Microsoft's 'Courier' tablet to compete with Apple

Just please remember to check the Member Written news forum first. Don't Bash him guys...
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

kher (09-24-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Eh, I like the Apple tablet

Thanks

I think competition is why we may see an itablet but that depends on how well it sells for Microsoft maybe an epic fail like apple newton........

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by melech518 View Post
    are you serious, way to steal my article
    lmao!!!
    I see you removed "douche" from your post!!
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 09-23-2009 at 04:22 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

pf edit: come on, guys, a little politeness.

<Edit after poetic>Sorry Paul...I'm just not happy with the way you've been spinning your articles...this is MMi, not 'Apple Fan Boys'. Don't be biased
    Last edited by agent005; 09-23-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Windmeel View Post
    Eh, I like the Apple tablet

You mean the Apple tablet that has no specs or prototype? Are you also enjoying your 3G touch with camera and video recording?

If this is any example of what MS plans to release, it looks nice. I have my doubts about the demo being 100% what we will actually see in it's final stages but we shall see.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Are you serious, Way to steal my article
    Quote Originally Posted by agent005 View Post
    Seriously Paul, you suck, pf edit: come on, guys, a little politeness.

First the continual condescending remarks atypical of a Apple Fan Boy (an extreme one, I may add), but then you steal an article from a member and give no credit?

I'm sure he just didn't check through the posts in those forums first. No stealing, Paul just needs to remember to check those forums.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

^Agreed and edited
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Default Looks dumb.
    The book format thing is just silly. I don't see the point. See, through the magic of software, the displayed page on a screen can change, say to page 2. Two screens is a gimmick. An expensive gimmick.

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

apologies... I didn't, and still don't, see the post. I checked after I saw Melech's comment, and am checking now. Mods, please delete this...

Thanks
    What do you mean "the Newton, which almost no one (including myself up until about ten seconds ago) remembers" I still have a newton in the Old PDA box in the attic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by organik View Post
    The book format thing is just silly. I don't see the point. See, through the magic of software, the displayed page on a screen can change, say to page 2. Two screens is a gimmick. An expensive gimmick.
    joke post?

Courier: First Details of Microsoft's Secret Tablet - Microsoft courier tablet - Gizmodo

watch the video. then comment.

this will be a major step forward for touch-screen computing if it comes to market at a reasonable price.

If it said "Apple" on it, you'd still be trying to pick your jaw up off the floor.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (09-23-2009), leram84 (09-24-2009), Quister (09-24-2009)

Thanks

apple failed to add a pen to the touch and iphone, and i have a feeling its going to happen to their tablet, and i believe they will overprice their product aswell. I'm going to get the microsoft one, simply because it has a pen. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 Times in 828 Posts

Apple has a tendency to under-power its hardware (to save a buck and then sell it at a premium). If MS busts out of the gate with some powerful hardware it will force Apple's hand to make theirs more powerful as well. I hope. We need some good competition here.

If Microsoft can turn their tablet into a 'social' machine like the Zune, something Apple never really achieved with their iPod/ iPhone, then they'll really have something interesting to exploit.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agent005 View Post
    pf edit: come on, guys, a little politeness.

<Edit after poetic>Sorry Paul...I'm just not happy with the way you've been spinning your articles...this is MMi, not 'Apple Fan Boys'. Don't be biased
    ^ this. Recently we have had a lot of bad new writers doing this... sad thing is the mods spend their time editing our responses rather than canning the threads all together. Hey, whatever gets the sites hits and money in your pocket, right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

gr8 i'll start saving some money and get whatever turns out best...does anyone know if they'll come out next year!!!???

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

HOLLLLY ****! that will be awesome to have! =DDDDD

Imagine everyone using these in schools, we can do homework in them, school would be so much fun with them

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

in the video looks pretty dang sweet i woudln't mind having it at alllll

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    joke post?

Courier: First Details of Microsoft's Secret Tablet - Microsoft courier tablet - Gizmodo

watch the video. then comment.

this will be a major step forward for touch-screen computing if it comes to market at a reasonable price.

If it said "Apple" on it, you'd still be trying to pick your jaw up off the floor.
    ihave to agree, this thing looks like a big step forward.. it has things that remind me of that table that microsoft was showing a while ago, plus this seems a lot more portable than a table due to that it folds... and as it has been mention before.. now that schools are starting to take on using computers for everything, this might just be the kick...
    Last edited by -Blue-; 09-24-2009 at 04:15 AM.