+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Voice: The Throwdown

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
image via TheNextWeb Friday saw a war of press releases between Apple and Google over the apparent rejection of the Google Voice app on the App Store. The Googleplex and
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google Voice: The Throwdown

image via TheNextWeb

Friday saw a war of press releases between Apple and Google over the apparent rejection of the Google Voice app on the App Store. The Googleplex and One Infinite Loop made public more details on their dispute, which cuts right to the heart of public perceptions of both companies, Apple's willingness to allow competition in key areas of iPhone functionality, and the coming battle for dominance in the mobile device marketplace.

Last month, the FCC began an investigation into reports that Apple had blocked Google Voice from the App Store. It sent letters to Google, Apple and AT&T, requesting details on communications between the companies, whether the app had in fact been blocked, and whether AT&T had played any role in the decision. In response, Apple sent a letter to the FCC, saying in part "Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application, and continues to study it."

Google also sent a response to the FCC. Surprisingly, though, portions of the letter were kept secret, or "redacted," at the time: in specific, the response to the question "What explanation (if any) was given for Apple's rejection of the Google Voice application?" Yesterday, in a clear shot over Apple's bow, Google asked the FCC to release the redacted section. In it, Google clearly points the finger at Phil Schiller, Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing, claiming that Schiller told Google's Senior VP of Engineering & Research, Alan Eustace, that Apple was rejecting the app because it duplicated Apple's iPhone dialing and voicemail functions.

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris responded by categorically denying that the app had been rejected:
    We do not agree with all of the statements made by Google in their FCC letter. Apple has not rejected the Google Voice application and we continue to discuss it with Google.
    The two companies present diametrically opposed versions of events: the difference between "rejected" and "not rejected" is not a subtle one. If Apple and Google are in negotiations over how to modify Google Voice to make it acceptable to Apple, why is Google presenting it otherwise? If, on the other hand, Apple made it clear that Google Voice would not be allowed on the App Store, why is Apple denying that?

Other developers have complained about Apple's lack of openness about rejected apps. Riverturn's Kevin Duerr expressed his frustrations over Apple's rejection of his VoiceCentral app in an interview with Computerworld in July. "What's the harm in telling developers why an app has been rejected or pulled from the App Store?" Duerr said. "Other than the volume of apps that are submitted, I don't see the problem with taking action. Why wouldn't you say: 'Here's why.'"

Obviously, both Apple and Google can't be right, and nobody who wasn't present at the discussion between Schiller and Eustace can know for sure who's telling the truth. There is one indisputable fact on the table, though, as Cult of Mac's Leander Kahney notes: Google Voice is not on the App Store. As long as that's the case, the burden of explanation lies squarely on Apple, Inc.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-19-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: image link typo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

milder (09-20-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Apple shouldn't have multiple war fronts

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm so glad I don't care. I've seen a few people say they're switching to another phone over GV. I don't know how I would live without my iPhone.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

NeO2 (09-20-2009), shadowtrainer02 (09-19-2009)

Thanks
    Typical Apple..

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds like a crazy mess to me! But what is new when it comes to apps for the appstore and to some of Apples decisions?

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Such BS. The Overlord still reigns
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple...MicroSoft... the lines of separation continue to blur.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

GV is on cydia....apple can shove it!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

lol. true

Thanks

Just Jailbreak and get GV on Cydia...that what I did and I love it. The world needs to know more about Jailbreaking their device and what it means to free their mind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to stillbrad For This Useful Post:

NeO2 (09-20-2009)

Thanks

I'm glad that jailbreaking exists. Apple likes to deny everything.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    Haha, that reminds me: remember when Apple representatives said that if you jailbreak, you can't use App Store apps on your phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    I have to agree with you, jb is one of the things that make the iphone awesome!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kaaroFC For This Useful Post:

bbillh77 (09-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaaroFC View Post
    I have to agree with you, jb is the only the thing that makes the iphone awesome!
    fix'd

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I join the chorus. The iPhone is a cool gadget, but it's not that cool if it ain't jailbroken. Anyway, even for less cool jailed iPhone the GV web app works pretty well. I think Apple is a bit prisoner of behind the scene negotiations with AT&T on this issue. But who cares? We jailbroke our phones...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If this problem is ever resolved, will affect my chances getting an invite for a gv account? I have been waiting forever...
    Please click this link and vote to support my friend! http://bit.ly/REYeH

Thanks

This is even more reason why the FCC should make it mandatory that all phones should not be carrier locked! As in other countries, we all know there are several out there that have such laws and why the U.S. should be added.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LSZ33 For This Useful Post:

mattharris85 (09-19-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

It's like this........

Apple: As soon as something is written in stone, we are screwed, keep them in limbo and send the GV app to purgatory for infinite.

Google: Apples full of _ _ _ _. Specifically Phil if you want a name. Phil, you're full of........

FCC: We see something is going on, Apple has always done whatever they want and given a 5 year old's response to everything to make themselves right in their own minds. (what color is their worlds sky we wonder), but we are going to crack nuts if something doesn't get handled soon.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

24. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

b3nny (09-19-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    It's like this........

Apple: As soon as something is written in stone, we are screwed, keep them in limbo and send the GV app to purgatory for infinite.

Google: Apples full of _ _ _ _. Specifically Phil if you want a name. Phil, you're full of........

FCC: We see something is going on, Apple has always done whatever they want and given a 5 year old's response to everything to make themselves right in their own minds. (what color is their worlds sky we wonder), but we are going to crack nuts if something doesn't get handled soon.
    the above made me seriously LOL thank you

the entire time i read the original post, all i could hear in my head was Darth Vader's Theme/The Imperial March

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    Haha, that reminds me: remember when Apple representatives said that if you jailbreak, you can't use App Store apps on your phone?
    Yeah, I remember that. I was just shaking my head. Typical Apple.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!