+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple TV Begins Disappearing Overnight

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Image via i.testfreaks.com In case you didn't already notice, Apple made a few changes seemingly overnight. And I mean overnight ... literally. Our friends at MacRumors just rolled out with
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple TV Begins Disappearing Overnight

Image via i.testfreaks.com

In case you didn't already notice, Apple made a few changes seemingly overnight.

And I mean overnight ... literally.

Our friends at MacRumors just rolled out with the news.

Apple has quietly discontinued the 40GB Apple TV overnight and reduced the price of the 160GB model down to $229. Previously, the 40GB and 160GB models were priced at $229 and $329, respectively.
    Although many were hoping for Apple to unveil newer and bigger plans for Apple TV at last week's media event, it seems the company is moving further from this possibility with each passing day. And for now, Apple is only offering the 160GB model at $229.

The Apple TV hardware has remained essentially unchanged since its introduction with the exception of hard drive size. Apple has always referred to the AppleTV as a "hobby" project and is still exploring ways to expand the market.
    Of course, no one is pronouncing Apple TV completely dead in the water yet. As the article also highlights, we have to keep
    in mind that Apple's new iTunes LP bundles were "likely formatted specifically for the Apple TV."

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet that is already heading down the road for big expectations of a substantial Apple TV software update in the coming weeks or months. For now, it just seems like Apple's plate is too full to roll out any game-changing developments for Apple TV.

Of course, if you think I'm mistaken, I would be happy to hear your thoughts otherwise.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Never understood why someone would buy one of these when for a few $$$ more you could have a macmini and set it up not only as a full computer but a media server running Plex.

Maybe with the reduction in price it might be more appealing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone JustinPizzle's Avatar
    Thanks

^+1
    If i helped you, clicking thanks would be nice

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

I wanna try that idea the first poster put up. It makes much more sense and would be a lot more fun overalll...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Why not just get one of these?: fit-PC2 Wiki

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

While I love my iPhone when it comes to apple products, I'm all about Windows 7 Media Center with my cablecard tuners and blu-Ray drive in the livingroom. (love it) Extra bonus for my media center extender in the bedroom plus inline slingbox pro HD for iPhone slingplayer too
    Last edited by JazJon; 09-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

there going to hook this bad boy up to the app store

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I disagree completely, although i'm sure there are several better ways to hook up a Windows Media Center or XBMC/Boxee, Apple TV is an intuitive and easy to use device for the non-techy folks like myself.

The availability to rip all of my dvd's to a virtual device then stream them seamlessly over a wireless network while also being able to sync my itunes & photos is worth $200.00 alone to me.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I love AppleTV
    My 5-year old operates my ATV and finds a movie to watch via iTunes streaming of my 200 DVD collection on WinXP server in basement. You can't beat that for user simplicity.
    I LOVE APPLE TV

Thanks

To me this actually hints at an upgrade soon. They will probably bring the 160 GB in to replace the 40 GB and offer a new hardware upgrade.

Thanks
    I don't understand... isn't this something that Apple would be proud to announce and make sure that public knows?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Apple TV 320gb ftw!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

In a household with non-tech people the appletv, ie kids or wife, has been useful. It is easy to use for anyone. Mine is also setup to run Boxee.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    if I had the money, every room in my house would have one. I have one in my living room as the main source of entertainment at the moment

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I'm not surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Image via i.testfreaks.com

In case you didn't already notice, Apple made a few changes seemingly overnight.

And I mean overnight ... literally.

Our friends at MacRumors just rolled out with the news.

Although many were hoping for Apple to unveil newer and bigger plans for Apple TV at last week's media event, it seems the company is moving further from this possibility with each passing day. And for now, Apple is only offering the 160GB model at $229.

Of course, no one is pronouncing Apple TV completely dead in the water yet. As the article also highlights, we have to keep
    in mind that Apple's new iTunes LP bundles were "likely formatted specifically for the Apple TV."

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon just yet that is already heading down the road for big expectations of a substantial Apple TV software update in the coming weeks or months. For now, it just seems like Apple's plate is too full to roll out any game-changing developments for Apple TV.

Of course, if you think I'm mistaken, I would be happy to hear your thoughts otherwise.
    My family bought one, tried it for two weeks, and sent it back. It didn't handle video clips worth a damn (if at all) and was a much too expensive photo delivery system. Each of us came to the same conclusion independently: it was very good at delivering products from the iTune Store. But paying over $300 to help a company pull even more $$ out the house didn't seem reason enough to keep it. In fact I wonder if that's why it's failed, too much emphasis of product funneling and too little dealing with 90% of what families want it for.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I was about to buy one this weekend. I wonder if I should wait

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple is extremely smart with their marketing and product offering but they messed up with this one BIG TIME......

Basically, as one poster pointed out, they have used this devise as a way of generating more revenue buy limiting its power and forcing you to be extremely dependent on itunes for media. Out of the box (without knowing how to hack into the unit) one can ONLY play mp4's. While I like the quality of this compression, the world still uses the .avi format 95% of the time.

Apple could easily add some key features like:
    1. multiple media types
    2. safari
    3. mail
    4. ichat
    5. (and this one i still dont get) an app store for downloading paid apps.

BUT.... this would make it more like the macmini and reduce sales of that unit.

$200+ for a device that will be used to purchase (and generate more revenue for apple) movies from itunes is just too steep. There are other devices on the market already for 1/2 of that price with more available content.

To me the added benefits of a macmini are well worth the few extra $$$$$. Those who say the AppleTV is just simple, how hard is it to just click (or just always leave it on) the Front Row icon? But those who want to do their homework can (for free) use some great media applications like plex or boxee. Plus, have all the benefits of having a computer (most likely) set up on a large flat screen tv in the family room.

To me it just doesnt make sense... If Apple wants this type of item (which i'll call a novice media player) in their offering they need to subsidize it more (like the cell phone industry) and bring it inline with the competition ($99.00 price point). They would more then make it up with the additional purchases from itunes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannyben View Post
    Never understood why someone would buy one of these when for a few $$$ more you could have a macmini and set it up not only as a full computer but a media server running Plex.

Maybe with the reduction in price it might be more appealing.
    if i wanted to play movies, etc. on my HDTV i would definitely consider this route before ATV would even cross my mind