Image via BusinessWeek

Finally, the madness will come to an end today. After days and weeks of maddening speculation about the many things Apple "could" say or do at their annual media event, the wait to find out exactly what the tech pioneer has in store concludes today.

Of course, that means there are still a few more hours remaining for frantic guesswork. And, as always, I'm more than willing to participate.

Like many Apple fans, I have my handy-dandy scorecard ready to fill out as the Apple event unfolds. Comparing my predictions with the actual announcements is an annual tradition. Although I usually get average marks, some say this year's likely announcements are so obvious that guessing what's in store is easier than cheating on an exam.

According to PC World:

This time around, Apple is rumored to be adding cameras to its iPod classic and touch models. Whether that's a good idea or not is an interesting question, but it would add a new dimension to Apple's media players. However, some reports claim that Apple has had technical problems during testing and may not release such products on Wednesday.
Although an upgrade to Apple's iTunes store is a strong contender for possible announcements today, I'm reluctant but optimistic that Apple could very well unveil a new and more affordable MacBook. Since Apple traditionally uses their September event to usher in the holiday shopping season, what could possibly be a cooler gift (for someone else or for yourself) even during a relatively bleak economic climate? While others are seemingly more distracted by the likelihood of a "refreshed Apple TV," I think a new MacBook could steal the show this morning.

Then again, today's Apple event could ultimately be better remembered for what it takes away than what it provides.

Wednesday could also be notable for products that get discontinued--specifically the iPod classic. After last year's iPod unveiling left the 120GB music device as the last hard drive-based player in Apple's lineup, the classic's days appeared numbered.
Finally, the next major rumor is that the Beatles will finally hit the iTunes Store. Although this speculation is by no means new or original, this could be the year fans get what they want. Today, after all, coincides with the release of the band's remastered catalog.

Indeed, there are many possibilities and very few certainties. And in only a few hours (at 10 a.m. PDT, in fact) we can begin separating fact from fiction.