+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Ad Wars Inspire Mac to Reach for the Stars

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Ad Wars Inspire Mac to Reach for the Stars

image via CNNMoney

On Sunday evening, I spoke with an old friend who has worked as a talent agent in Southern California for nearly three decades. As our conversation turned to where the coolest and most sought-after commercial gigs are today, Apple was brought up - much to my surprise.

Although signs are starting to emerge that Apple is stepping up efforts to recruit major star power for their promotional campaigns, it's becoming clear why that strategy might be more relevant and necessary than we realize. And, luckily, the timing beautifully coincides with the end of the honeymoon for Snow Leopard. Basically, we've had one solid weekend to poke, prod, and play with Snow Leopard, and suddenly everyone is an expert... or a critic.

A report by the BBC this morning calls Snow Leopard "a strange beast." Why? Mac users are beginning to notice how Apple opted to minimize colorful new bells and whistles and instead, emphasize major changes "under the hood." In the long run, the move by Apple bodes well for all, particularly, as the article notes, for third-party application developers who will certainly have a lot more to work with in the future than they've ever had before. Nonetheless, Snow Leopard isn't "sexy" enough to advertise itself the way, shall we say, the new line of alleged iPod upgrades likely will after Apple's media even next month.

As a result, Apple is expected to continue efforts to make the biggest star-studded pushes possible to help remind the masses just how cool Apple is. As our friends at PC World pointed out over the weekend, Apple has already recruited former Seinfeld star Patrick Warburton for two new "Get a Mac" ads.

The commercial, which is titled "Top of the Line" is a clear and obvious response to Microsoft's seemingly successful "I'm a PC" commercials which focus on the price difference between Mac and PC systems. In the latest ad, Warburton plays a "top of the line" PC, but when questioned about his capability of dealing with viruses and other PC-related headaches, he has no acceptable response, and the interested shopper, surprise surprise, decides to go with Justin Long, who of course is the "Mac."
    In another new ad out this week, actor Robert Loggia portrays a physical trainer trying to whip a poor PC into shape with inspirational messages such as, "Come on get started you bucket of bolts" and "PC Mag rated Mac #1 in customer support. Are you just going to take that?"

It's funny stuff for sure... but it's also a very serious component of a much larger advertising campaign that, according to my sources, has only just begun. Although there is no word yet as to the other "big names" reportedly in talks for Mac ads, more celebs are on the way to help give Mac a big push going into the holiday shopping season. According to TNS Media Intelligence, Apple spent $264 million on television ads in 2008, 71% more than Microsoft. But in the first six months of this year, Microsoft put up $163 million for commercials - that's twice Apple’s spending.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    just watched those last night on the apple site. funny stuff.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What...isn't Jerry Seinfield still a celebrity?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow so desperate to beat Windows. It's convertting some users I'll say but will never beat the huge market share that windows has.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Get a Mac ads are funny but it makes the Mac look cocky!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I love both OS I have as a Home Computer Windows PC, and as a Labtop I own a MACBOOK PRO. The problem with people and Microsoft Windows is that don't known how to use it, in reality Windown is a very complicated OS so people feel less stupic on a MAC cause everthing is almost done for you, the most advance Computer user take real advantage of the PC can do, like me. So don't complain about Windows if you don't known how to take real advantage of it.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 08-31-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks

I love how they always make Mac seem compassionate.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ticko's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    I love both OS I have as a Home Computer Windows PC, and as a Labtop I own a MACBOOK PRO. The problem with people and Microsoft Windows is that don't known how to use it, in reality Windown is a very complicated OS so people feel less stupic on a MAC cause everthing is almost done for you, the most advance Computer user take real advantage of the PC can do, like me. So don't complain about Windows if you don't known how to take real advantage of it.
    agreed it only works for people who know how to make it work for them!

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft lost the battle after Windows Vista. I don't have the funds to throw away my relatively new PC and laptop running Vista and XP respectively, but when the time comes for the upgrade you better believe I'm getting a mac.

My vista machine crashed 3x (for no reason at all) the 3rd time I could not restore it and had to send the CPU back to HP for a swap out! I'm an intermediate to advanced user... so this was a HUGE deal!

I'm done with Microsoft.

tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ticko View Post
    agreed it only works for people who know how to make it work for them!
    I concur.
    I've been using my laptop for the past 8 months without a anti-virus program installed and had very little, as far as I remember, problems that I easily fixed that same or next day's time. What Mac is advertising is arguable to reason. For now, all I got to say to my defense is that with PC, I can change the OS theme, login, boot screen, etc... easier that I can with a Mac. I'm not saying I don't like Mac, I do,but I like PC better.
    Always do what you are afraid to do.
    Visit my site at http://www.visionhow.com

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Ad wars, Shmad wars... Apple PWNS!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

No thanks, I work for computer technology support for my college and i cannot tell you how many hysterical students come to us with the BSOD and other problems after working an a x page essay or whatever. School hasn't even started yet here and two girls came in after owning their new pcs for a week, they didnt even put any software on it yet, and bam! BSOD. When i had a pc, i had to run a c drive defrag once a month, have every anti-virus software from here to timbucktwo, and i still was doing full system restores every few months. I have had my MacBook for 5 years and have not had 1 single issue with it. If thats the "advanced" knowledge you just have to learn to deal with a pc, I'll be an idiot with my dumbed down mac
    iLive an iLife

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

ehh ive had enough problems with PC to last a lifetime
    im sticking to my guns.. i mean my macs
    Last edited by mdc929; 08-31-2009 at 09:31 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    My vista machine crashed 3x (for no reason at all) the 3rd time I could not restore it and had to send the CPU back to HP for a swap out! I'm an intermediate to advanced user... so this was a HUGE deal!
    You sent it back to hp to swap the CPU and this is a Windows problem???? Sounds like your problem was hardware related for all 3 failures. But do whatever makes you feel better.
    Last edited by MikePA; 08-31-2009 at 09:39 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post
    No thanks, I work for computer technology support for my college and i cannot tell you how many hysterical students come to us with the BSOD and other problems after working an a x page essay or whatever. School hasn't even started yet here and two girls came in after owning their new pcs for a week, they didnt even put any software on it yet, and bam! BSOD. When i had a pc, i had to run a c drive defrag once a month, have every anti-virus software from here to timbucktwo, and i still was doing full system restores every few months. I have had my MacBook for 5 years and have not had 1 single issue with it. If thats the "advanced" knowledge you just have to learn to deal with a pc, I'll be an idiot with my dumbed down mac
    haha i love it
    i tried to convince my friend to get a mac and had her hooked
    unfortunately her father got her a toshiba with vista installed
    3 weeks and it had already crashed on her twice
    shouldve got a mac

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie-Mac View Post

I have Windows Vista from Day 1 and I never to restore my system once my cousin in law have a PC and he restore his every 5 month's and he teld me all time "Man I Know, know I mess up is my fault for not doing what you told me.", but guess what he goes and f*** with the system again and again. So is the user not the system and sometime the Hardware like everthing else. Is most your doing, and for your infomation I am computer programmer/IT Tech.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 08-31-2009 at 10:41 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ifonemaniac's Avatar
    Thanks

my 2 pennies..
    I like the iPhone; I dont like apple. They're unflappable attempts to sell a lifestyle rather than a product are always captivating. If you see someone with white earbuds they're cool all of the sudden? Take the oversize glasses off a pedophile and put some white earbuds in his head and he's your friend on myspace the next day. Then Tim Loucakis knows all about you...

Thanks

wouldn't linux be considered an advanced operating system that you need to know what you are doing to take advantage of it? And that doesn't suck. I'm pretty sure I rarely hear of the problems occurring with it that occur with Windows...

Now, I'm not exactly an expert...I'm just going from what I have heard and read.

IMO Mac always over windows. I used windows up until last year and always debated what to do, and I am so glad I finally decided to just buy a Mac.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

More advertising = more expense.

Watch out, my next generation already expense iMac will be even more expensive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    wouldn't linux be considered an advanced operating system that you need to know what you are doing to take advantage of it? And that doesn't suck. I'm pretty sure I rarely hear of the problems occurring with it that occur with Windows...

Now, I'm not exactly an expert...I'm just going from what I have heard and read.

IMO Mac always over windows. I used windows up until last year and always debated what to do, and I am so glad I finally decided to just buy a Mac.

Ok! I never said the MAC is not a good system, from the beginning I said I Love both System's and I prefer to use as a PC Windows and as a Labtop Mac.
    Linux never like it cause it was complex but too simple for me. Windows felt more complex if you really want to learn IT troblem shooting network and so on, cause some of the problem people get in to with Windows PC. One is not better than the other is all on the user preference. That why God made Colors and I love Both.
    Last edited by DarkDragonAn; 08-31-2009 at 12:53 PM.