Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Life with the Snow Leopard

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Life with the Snow Leopard

source: Dot Earth

As advertised, the new release gives a number of stability and speed improvements, much of which may be be imperceptible to the casual user. This is still a must-have upgrade, though it doesn't provide much white-knuckle excitement for the early adopter. It's an important step forward for an operating system that's been two years without a major upgrade, solidifying what's already under the hood and building a strong foundation for what's to come.

The only significant piece of software I have that just doesn't work is SonicWALL's NetExtender VPN client. SonicWALL claims to be hard at work on a fix, but for now, I'll have to work around (basically, hauling out my poor, ignored ThinkPad).

Firefox was having some odd, memory-hoggy behavior until I deleted Firefox and Mozilla folders in ~/Library/Application Support. I did mess around with Safari 4 a bit while trying to figure the problem out. It's solid and fast... I'm considering making a shift, despite my general preference for open-source software.

The Finder is smooth and visually appealing in its new Cocoa-based incarnation. The massive 512x512 icons are a bit much for my MacBook's 13" screen, but offer yet another reason for me to get that Cinema Display I've had my eye on. One subtle but immensely useful enhancement is the ability to set the default scope of a search. Previously, Finder searched your whole drive by default. Now, you can choose the option of setting the local folder as the initial scope of a search, which is more intuitive and a great time saver in terms of workflow.

The new black-look Dock contextual menu is kind of cool, I guess, but the Mac purist in me is somewhat offended by the inconsistency. Why just that menu in black? The ability to use Grid view in Stacks, though, is a real improvement. I'd avoided using Stacks, because they were just unmanageable for all but the simplest folder. You can nest Stacks, and view those Grids as well. I am thinking of moving my XMenu folders to the Dock, for a full stock-Mac UI.

One other feature which appeals to my bithead side is Apple's adoption of the true gigabyte. What the Mac OS had been using - and Windows still uses - is the gibibyte: two to the thirtieth power (1,073,741,824) bytes. Now, when Apple says a gig, it means a gig: a billion bytes. It ends up making your drive look bigger, though nothing has changed... and the amount of space used looks bigger, too, which means the space you saved in the upgrade will actually be more than you think.

All in all, if you have been sitting on the fence, you should feel confident making the upgrade. You'll appreciate the speed bump, everything works smoother, and it makes what was already the best-in-class OS that much better.
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 08-30-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spellcheck, repetition

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

bader14 (08-30-2009), feminale (08-30-2009), michellefabio (08-30-2009), redmagic (08-30-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Great review. I agree about the black contextual menu.

The true gigabyte is interesting...

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Just adding to list of why I need snow leopard in my life. Hackintosh support please.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

^ I thought I read about people running it already

Thanks

LolWut?
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

nice, can't wait to make the upgrade and join the party

Thanks

While I appreciate the refinements Vuze/growl/Apple Remote(with VLC) are not playing nice.

The Biggest plus for me is the reclaiming of HDD space which is in short supply in my 2007 Mac Mini.

Thanks

Anyone else having problems with Cyberduck?

Nevermind you have to use the new beta of Cyberduck Cyberduck 3.3b1
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 08-30-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anyone installed SL one single disk license on more than 1 macbooks? I'm asking cuz For some weird reason I installed SL on my macbook air thru my other macbook optical drive. and by accidentally install SL on the macbook as well. Isnt supposed to be license on 1 machine? Thanx for an answer guys
     Think Different

RightZoom is really inconsitent for me.

Hey I was curious b/c I have not installed the OS on a mac before, can you do an upgrade with the Snow leopard cd or do you do a fresh install? I was wondering which would be better? My mbp is starting to run sluggish and was contemplating just doing a fresh install. Thanks for the advice.
    I cant wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    Has anyone installed SL one single disk license on more than 1 macbooks? I'm asking cuz For some weird reason I installed SL on my macbook air thru my other macbook optical drive. and by accidentally install SL on the macbook as well. Isnt supposed to be license on 1 machine? Thanx for an answer guys
    there is no license for SL. Therefore it will work on as many machines as you choose

Anyone else getting the "Choose Application" window from Setup Assistant asking "Where is System Events?" right after installation completes for SL???
    Last edited by Melech518; 08-30-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    there is no license for SL. Therefore it will work on as many machines as you choose

Anyone else getting the "Choose Application" window from Setup Assistant asking "Where is System Events?" right after installation completes for SL???
    s u r telling its useless to get the family pack instead just buy or use my single upgrade license SL for 29 for my whole household?
     Think Different

I just installed it on 2 MBPs, a MB, and 2 mac minis without a hitch if thats says anything.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I just installed it on 2 MBPs, a MB, and 2 mac minis without a hitch if thats says anything.
    awesome!!! with the single upgrade license rite? haha
     Think Different

Yes sir...and it was the nice man at the Apple Store who told me it would work

I like how generally the system runs as smooth as Tiger did.

yeah...cyberduck not loading. neither is mactuneup...anybody else have non functioning apps on sN0w?
    killall Terminal[]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    yeah...cyberduck not loading. neither is mactuneup...anybody else have non functioning apps on sN0w?
    here is the newest cyberduck that works with sl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast