+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PCWorld/Infoweek Calls Snow Leopard a Copy Cat

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Default PCWorld/Infoweek Calls Snow Leopard a Copy Cat
    This isn't even remotely news, but it is an example of one of the most pathetic flame pieces ever published on a "professional" site. If you thought Apple fanboys were bad and you need a good laugh, jump on over to PCWorld and check out the full article by the now infamous Randall C. Kennedy. It's possibly one of the most bitter and ignorant articles I have read in recent memory; on any subject including politics.

Kennedy's article examined:
    64-bitness: Yippee,! Apple finally goes 64-bit -- BFD! As a Windows user, I've been livin' la vida 64-bit for more than three years. Vista was the first mainstream desktop OS to deliver a viable 64-bit experience, and Windows 7 has taken this migration further by making it the preferred flavor for business users.

Meanwhile, Apple can't even deliver a fully 64-bit implementation. Snow Leopard boots into a 32-bit kernel by default -- something about a lack of 64-bit device drivers, which is ironic when you consider how small a hardware ecosystem Apple must govern when compared to Microsoft and its burden of having to run on just about anything with an Intel-compatible CPU.
    Almost, Apple had the first usage of 64 bit back in 2003 with OS X Jaguar. Apple has been silently making more and more things 64 bit since then through updates. Leopard for example has been able to support 64 bit gfx apps since its release.

Also the whole driver thing. So? It boots a 32 bit kernal and then runs 64 bit apps. No driver issues to worry about whatsoever, good performance, not stuck on a 64 bit kernel trying to unsuccessfully run some 32 bit apps (which haunted all Windows OS releases till midway through the Vista Development cycle), etc.
    QuickTime Pro: Can you believe the Apple folks used to charge for this thing? I guess they saw the writing on the wall, what with Microsoft releasing yet another excellent iteration of its free Movie Maker application. Way to play that reactionary card, Apple!
    Well, Windows Movie Maker was a reaction to Apple's Quicktime Pro in the first place . . . oh wait, no one cares, you suck at writing.
    Exposť Dock Integration: This one's a joke, right? Am I to understand that Apple is just getting around to adding this? Microsoft has been offering this type of functionality (aka thumbnail preview) for years, and Windows 7 has taken the concept further with Aero Peek, Shake, and Snap.
    They switch through apps. After that the similarity ends. OMG something besides Windows 7 can switch through apps in a nifty fashion!?!?!??! Your point is a joke sir.
    Expanded PDF Preview: If this constitutes a "feature," then Apple must really be grasping! I mean, Windows has supported PDF file preview -- via an installable ifilter module -- ever since Desktop Search debuted pre-Vista.
    . . . . seriously? This almost non-feature of Snow Leopard has knocked you off your rocker? I thought everyone knew that Snow Leopard's upgrades are mostly under the hood.
    I could go on, but I think I've made my point. Mac OS X Snow Leopard is truly an underwhelming release, one that borrows most of its "new" ideas from Windows Vista.
    Oh please don't go on, most the world is already laughing at you or puking in their shoes out of embarrassment. It fairly evident that you don't have a clue what the Snow Leopard release is intended to be -- under the hood stability and performance upgrades. Oh and it costs $29.
    I've often referred to Windows 7 as "Vista R2," an incremental follow-up release that was mostly about righting the wrongs of its predecessor. Viewed in these terms, Mac OS X Snow Leopard is more like a service pack: a collection of bug fixes and minor functional enhancements that, quite frankly, should have been in the original release.
    Oh no, he went on. WTF @ "Vista R2" is this guy high? He is right that Vista contained a lot of fail in it hence the new OS so quickly which many parts have been redone from the ground up. Even if you called Snow Leopard a "service pack" the $29 price point kills any new Windows OS in the category of value for the money.

Conclusion
    There are plenty of things to debate in the continual Mac vs. PC battles, with plenty of valid arguments and points on both sides of the divide. If you choose to debate one or the other, don't be like Randall C. Kennedy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (08-26-2009), dsg (08-26-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone FURBY8704's Avatar
    Thanks

Jealous much??

iPHONE 3G FW 4.0 JB & iPHONE 4 4.0 READY TO BE JB=]

Thanks

Ugh, anti-Apple fanboys. Can't blame him I guess, I used to be the same way; ignorant and misinformed.

what with Microsoft
    releasing yet another excellent iteration of its free Movie Maker application.
    This put me on the ground with lolz. WMM is the worst piece of video editing software I've ever dealt with... You must be kidding me.
    Respect your elders.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Your responses are as laughable and childish as his arguments. Seems you both lose here.
    If you cant beat them join them

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mista Brothason's Avatar
    Thanks

Ppl need to get a life
    64 GB iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 Jailbroken & Unlocked
    64 GB iPad 3 on 5.1.1 Jailbroken

Green Apple
    Thanks

if im not mistaken, all native OSX apps are all 64-bit in SL. If an apps is 64-bit it will run that program as 64-bit and if another program is on 32-bit it will run that 32-bit. What apple did is really flexible. I don't see a problem with it. It even handles threads very well for multi cores. Instead of programmers having to manage the threads for every program they make, snow leopard takes care of it. $29, is worth it in my opinion.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used to hate macs and love pc's. now its done a 360. i have an imac, and already preordered snow leopard, although my mac is slow at times its still better than my pc. not as good integration and apps out there, but oh well. regardless windows is a pretty sad excuse for an os. all of them have their pros/cons but its pretty good when osx is 'near' perfection that they really dont need to change much in upcoming versions. thats not a bad thing.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    No OS is perfect.
    So true
    yet I would rather use both OS's on Apple Hardware

Thanks for the laughs cash7c3
    Last edited by dsg; 08-26-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks

That Randall C. Kennedy sounds like a frog in a well knows nothing lol ...........

Thanks

$29 is a valid price. If it were any higher, I'd be sort of annoyed. I use the final build- it's not amazing or worth a hyped pre-order. As an upgrade It's good, but it doesn't go any higher than that really.
    Oh, those who like using Cyberduck- it's broken

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Interestingly enough the OP response to the article he was talking about is just as much of a flame piece. You say who cares a few times... obviously YOU do...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Haha Cash, the maddox of Macintosh.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as Mac can run Windows 7 and Snow Leopard, I don't care.
    Although I got to say Apple have been very lazy this year!!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

It's called pcworld for a reason

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

All windows user talk crap about mac and viceversa... If Mac was such a piece of sh** then why Windows user came up with OSX86!!

And I know what they are gonna say... Mac runs bootcamp... that is only a smart way of Mac to make more money, because some places choose Mac because it has a slick design and make their desk look more professional and they can run Windows on their network with their POS softwares that are only designed for Windows

Thanks

wow really??? TWO little children fighting over OS's? Both of these guys need to grow up. Let me tell you guys a few things.... I personally run on a Vista and enjoy it VERY much! WMM is an alright program.... I DO NOT have a MAC but i DO hope to own one in the not-so-distant future. MAC's and PC's have their advantages AND disadvantages. MAC's are a more sophisticated type of computer, since they are very useful when it comes to running "hi-tech" software. WHEREAS PC's are cheap and affordable, but are more common than MACs, therefore SOME (not all, don't shoot me now lol) applications only run on PC, and MAC has its own applications.... SO everybody stop whining and be happy that you HAVE a computer wether its a MAC or PC

Thanks

^True, except for WMM being decent. I think Cash's point was the incredible bias and misinformation of the aformentioned article, not an OS war.
    Last edited by ALL DAY; 08-26-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Respect your elders.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Renblade's Avatar
    Thanks

@energiesource

Sorry to be an *** but if you "done a 360" wouldn't you be facing exactly the same way?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Renblade For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (08-26-2009)

Thanks

all day, your sig should have been used in the op haha ^

Quote Originally Posted by Renblade View Post
    @energiesource

Sorry to be an *** but if you "done a 360" wouldn't you be facing exactly the same way?
    lol
    Last edited by Chase817; 08-26-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned
    Thanks

If you think $29 is good value for money then why cant it run on nearly every computer out there? It wont run on my PC so its not good value to me.

I do believe Windows XP/Vista/7 can run on a Mac so even if it is more expensive it will run on any PC where MacOSX wont.

Thats why windows is better. It runs where MacOSX wont.