+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Snow Leopard Comes with Antivirus?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
It appears the Snow Leopard due this Friday could come complete with a Virus/Malware scanner built in. There are zero details about how this works but The Mac Security Blog
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Snow Leopard Comes with Antivirus?

It appears the Snow Leopard due this Friday could come complete with a Virus/Malware scanner built in. There are zero details about how this works but The Mac Security Blog reports that the screen shot above is Snow Leopard detecting the RSPlug Trojan horse downloaded via Safari. Maybe this is Apple's response to the trojan that was packaged with some iWork '09 downloads back in January.

@ Apple fanboys - Yes OS X is vulnerable to viruses and malware. These will increase as OS X continues to gain market share.

@ Windows zealots - Yes OS X is susceptible to viruses and malware, there are just 10000000000000000 times more made for Windows.

Update via The Register:
    Apple has only included information on two Trojan Horses, OSX.RSPlug.A and OSX.Iservice inside a system file
    /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.plist

Thanks

inb4 Mac/PC flaming
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yea we have that many viruses, but nod32... ah ^#@# it, im to high for this

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    owh...
    thought mac are free from virus....
    Last edited by algojobathosai; 08-26-2009 at 04:52 AM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Jubah
    Jubah Online
    Jubah Muslimah
    Baju Hari Raya
    Baju Muslimah
    Baju Raya 2013
    Baju Kurung
    Baby Clothes

Thanks

I mainly use Windows because of work but I'm glad to see Apple being proactive. Why wait until there ARE 1000000000 virii for Mac before starting preventative measures.

I wonder if there will be some kind of subscription fee eventually or if updates will be completely free indefinitely.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Already running Snow
    I did noticed more than the usual amount of warnings when re-installing some of my apps.

We got snow from apple last week from Apple so I've had a few days to play with the product. So far looks good, and things appear to move a bit faster.

Everything is 64bit except for some plug-ins here and there such as flash... but looks solid.

Thanks

Looks good, no need to pay for a scanner, like in windows

Wait, does this search your drive as well, or just the programs you open?

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Im so ready to make the full plunge to Mac im tired of the dual boot garbage. The only reason i use windows more is the chore of making sure all my hardware is happy with OSX. Apple has just given me one more reason to just suck up the extra 500-800 dollars for a machine of similiar spec.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So...Apple's Mac vs. PC ads have to change now, right? When the lady says "I'd like a computer that doesn't get any viruses." PC says "And I want to be as cool as Mac." and Mac says "And I'd like to sell more than PC, but it ain't gonna happen." And the girl goes home without a computer.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

iPhone? More like MyPhone smuggler's Avatar
    Thanks

why do macs have to gain market share?

iPhone? More like MyPhone riku98523's Avatar
    Thanks

People always use the argument that macs are better because they don't have viruses (sorry mac fanboys I would pick my windows with its extremely Superior hardware and higher chance to get a virus over a mac any day) and I always have to explain that the reason macs don't have viruses is because there are more windows PCs which means why make viruses for Mac.

With apples very catchy bash on M$ commercials that are always playing it seem like Macs will start to sell a lot more.

I want to see a Windows commercial that has PC say "hey mac time for a new graphics processor oh wait (small chuckle) that's right sorry" Or "Hey mac my owner just built me from the ground up and I will never have one of those problems you always talk about me having... oh? your owner built you to where is he? Oh court sorry man"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, those Mac vs PC commercials have been getting worse and worse as the days go on. The line was crossed when Mac started complaining about Microsoft spending money on advertising. The claim that Macs never crash and there are no viruses are borderline false advertising (hell, you might be able to make a court case about it). It really just got reduced to grade school lying and name-calling.

I do really like Microsoft's marketing scheme though, turning Apple's claims around on them. The "I'm a PC" ads are clever and real, showing off people who use windows and enjoy it (yes, they do exist. I think they're called gamers >_>).

On an off topic note, I'm completely in love with Sony's Bravia commercials. If you haven't seen them, YouTube them now. They are quite possibly the worse waste of money I've ever seen, but totally worth it in my opinion.

Also, anyone else find it ironic that if you buy a Mac (possible for the reason that its mostly virus free), you're indirectly causing more viruses to be made for Macs?

Thanks

My big issues with mac is compatibility and the fact that its not an open OS. I don't want to buy Apple computers I want to continue using my superior desktops that I build for half the price. Compatibility is low because more people have Windows so programmers obviously aren't going to program for the lesser used system same as when the PS3 was released since it was backwards compatible with the PS2 developers kept making PS2 games instead of PS3 games that way PS3 and PS2 owners bought there games (that is the real reason sony removed backwards compatibility)

If Mac became an open OS imo it would have a lot more buyers. There are a lot of computer enthusiast like me who don't trust or want to buy a computer built by someone else.

Also I have seen those Sony commercials they are dumb lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

fantastic in some senses... but never had my mac have any viruses tho my windows... no point talking about it... no matter what virus protection i use never works!

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Thanks

I use Nod32 and I have never had a virus problem. If you are using Norton (or anything from them) you basically downloaded a virus as far as I'm concerned.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mdc929's Avatar
    Thanks

5 years and counting and no viruses
    yay mac