+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Abuse Detection Technology?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
But it doesn't count if it's open handed, right? Wrong. In February of 2008 Apple filed for a patent that would be able to detect abusive acts on products such
    Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Abuse Detection Technology?
    But it doesn't count if it's open handed, right? Wrong. In February of 2008 Apple filed for a patent that would be able to detect abusive acts on products such as Macbook Pros, iPhones, iPods, etc.

These abusive acts would be stored into memory and would be used by Apple employees to determine whether a warranty is voided or not. The
    Consumer Abuse Detection System and Method
    has already been implemented, to a degree, in the devices listed above but Apple plans to take it to a whole new level.

In theory, this abuse detection system would be able to tell Apple if the device was exposed to moisture, extreme heat, dropped, or tampered with. Bad news for people trying to take advantage of the warranties by saying it is hardware failure .

According to Apple, this detection system would also be able to aid the devices by being able to:
    disable the electronic device if an issue is detected, potentially reducing the risk of damage to the device. The system would aim protect a myriad of parts on devices, including the screen, processor, memory, and potentially inserted devices like SD or CompactFlash cards.
    Source:
    AppleInsider | Apple working on device abuse detection technology
    Last edited by NeoNightmareX; 08-07-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

20Eyes (08-08-2009), alnk1015 (08-07-2009), arman360 (08-08-2009), chemalito (08-07-2009), choihyun (08-07-2009), DutchessMaster (08-07-2009), ELHUASTECO (08-07-2009), Icepecks (08-07-2009), jeystar (08-07-2009), me_danish (08-07-2009), NsG_DirtySanchez (08-07-2009), operate (08-07-2009), rockstarblech (08-07-2009), Sunerfan09 (08-08-2009), thekid05 (08-07-2009), Tweetix (08-08-2009), vigge (08-07-2009), wingy (08-07-2009)

Thanks

Liquid detection has been around for a while. This really can't be good for anybody. I don't see why a billion dollar company really cares about this. I mean all the good parts go into another machine and sold as new. They're still making the money, they get credit from suppliers for defective parts. The money spent on this could go to something way better imo. Now with intel macs they are already making a killing on them anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jay316 For This Useful Post:

AKay724 (08-08-2009), Carrbone (08-07-2009), Gustavo Saliola (08-07-2009), Gyngabread Man (08-07-2009), honeybebe (08-07-2009), kaician (08-09-2009), Piazza331 (08-07-2009), rockstarblech (08-07-2009), taz1981m (08-07-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoenix3g's Avatar
    Thanks

Abusing your iPhone, wow. I think apple are a tad controlling over there products. Accidents can happen, but they sometimes isn't the cause for the product to be defective.

I thought Microsoft were a little evil, but i think apple are now gaining ground.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff?
    Apple are not trying to stop people abusing products. If you wanna dunk your iPhone under water or drop it repeatedly on the floor then go ahead.
    This is to prevent people doing such things to their iPods or iPhones and then trying to get a free replacement off Apple if they are within warranty. If its your fault that you broke it, why should Apple replace it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

bluaeon (08-07-2009), Windmeel (08-07-2009)

The 20th Member
    Thanks

Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol
    im making this my sig lmao

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yea but what if you accidentally drop it and it still works fine. But then a month later, the board gets fried. They will play the "You dropped it so we will not fix it" card even if it is still their fault. This is some BS.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j3rman For This Useful Post:

Carrbone (08-07-2009), The Digital Alchemist (08-07-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

Its impossible for Apple to tell the difference between "accidentally dropped" and thrown on the floor. No amount of software and sensors will tell them that
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

now thats just wrong... i see why apple would put this kind of detection onto their product... they are trying to cut back on their expenses on devices that were "accidentally" dropped onto water, or claims that it was hardware failure... this is where people down own up to their mistakes.

as for your girlfriend quote... thats just wrong... hope you dont slap your girlfriend cuz buddy, you dont own anybody... you just own you, and yourself alone... not even your wife. it may be a joke when you said it, but people can interpret them in so many ways, especially on the net.

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has been making some big mistakes lately. It seems to me that they are starting to forget about the people that made them a multi-billion dollar company, their customers. They started making some great computers and then they came out with the iPhone and now it's all going to their head. They now look like one of the most greedy and stingy companies in America. Taking away great apps from their customers and nickel and dimming people to death over their warranties is just pathetic! They better start remembering where they came from because if this type of greediness continues it will come back to bite them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Besides mechanical damage, what will this do to all of the jailbroken phones? BTW of checking the memory & such, Apple will say if it's jailbroken, tough luck, even though it was a mechanical fault not caused by you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Apple are not trying to stop people abusing products. If you wanna dunk your iPhone under water or drop it repeatedly on the floor then go ahead.
    This is to prevent people doing such things to their iPods or iPhones and then trying to get a free replacement off Apple if they are within warranty. If its your fault that you broke it, why should Apple replace it.
    I agree with this also, you bought it, do what you want with it, but don't go crying to the manufacturer about it not working afterward. I can definitely understand a company trying to stop people from scamming them in this way, you shouldn't do this anyway.
    If I did something to my stuff to break it, I wouldn't expect someone else to pay for it.

BUT, on the other hand, what defines abuse?

A company could get out of covering such products by saying "You abused it, so we're not covering it."
    I'm not saying a company would do that, but......

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    seriously...so if I buy something, it's still not mine WTF
    This is getting a bit rediculous to control the market...HMMM are we sure Jobs isn't the real life Dr. EVIL MMUUUHAAAHAAAHAAAHHAAAAA

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow it can even disable the device. So whats the gauge on the accident before it is disabled? Lets say my iphone is sitting on the passenger seat, I make an abrubt stop and it slides to the floor of the car, the device disables itself and when I take it to apple, the say I abused it and void my warranty and force me to pay FULL RETAIL for another, WTF.

Like Jay316 said it's impossible to tell if it were an accident or not. Also in Houston these past few days the temperature outside has been 99 or higher, so If I go in a jog using my iPhone for one of it's purposes, I'm abusing it, So I guess I should only workout in cool temperatures and try not to break a sweat also.

As for bluaeon, you should think "outside the box" and stop thinking everyone is trying to scam Apple. Accidents DO HAPPEN, everyone is not perfect. I've dropped my iPhone before I definatly would not call it abuse, I was not TRYING to drop it. You are happy about the software now, but if its approved and some slight bump makes your phone disable itself (like if you were running while it was in your pocket)and you take it in the store and the software says it was dropped and they tell you your warranty is void and you have to buy a new one (full retail cause your 2years are not up), you'll get what we are saying.

You see Apple will believe the software not you, and the problem with that is ALL software screws up at one point or another, other wise there would be no need for these "Dev Teams" and Apple Techs, and PC techs, technical support staffs, etc. etc.

As for the girlfriend thing that was a joke, notice he put LOL. Stop being so anal.
    Last edited by chrisj979; 08-07-2009 at 07:54 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisj979 For This Useful Post:

daxter146 (08-08-2009)

Thanks
    That may be the funniest thing I have ever read on this forum. Haha!!

Thanks

Wow, this is going to make jailbreaking a lot harder. What happens if you take that abuse detector chip out?

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Big brother closing his grips on the public yet again. thanks apple...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekid05's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this mean future detection of Jail breaking?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

iPhone? More like MyPhone spongebobiwan's Avatar
    Thanks

Houston, Tx.

A Houston man identified by police only as "Chris", has been arrested and charged with "assault and battery" and "neglect" in connection with his alleged unlawful treatment of an Apple iPhone. Police first learned of the inappropriate conduct through a website posting in which it was alleged that he wrote:

"Also in Houston these past few days the temperature outside has been 99 or higher, so If I go in a jog using my iPhone for one of it's purposes, I'm abusing it, So I guess I should only workout in cool temperatures and try not to break a sweat also."

Police took "Chris" into custody earlier today, and are investigating. "Additional charges may be pending, as this possible criminal activity may have been going on for some time", police said.

(Disclaimer: To those that are incapable of differentiating between legitimate posts and sarcastic humor, this was the latter. I'm merely having a little fun).

On the other side of this issue, I can't count the very large number of times I have read postings on this board, from persons who knew full well that they were the ones who had dropped, drowned, folded, spindled or mutilated their iPhones, yet NEVERTHELESS were here asking advice from people on "the best way to go about having Apple repair, replace, or refund their money" for the damage to their iPhones that they knew FULL WELL was their OWN fault, not Apples. i.e. "I accidently ran over my iPhone with my mom's BMW. Do you think if I take my phone to Apple and tell them I was just minding my own business when suddenly for no reason my iPhone got hot which caused me to drop it and that's why the screen is shattered, that they will replace it for me?" or some other such dribble. I cringe every time I read one of those posts.

I grew up learning to take personal responsibility for my own actions and often wonder how so many others seem to have grown up learning only to blame others for mistakes they themselves have knowingly made.

***End of Sermon*** I will now pass the offering plate. Please put IN this time, instead of removing.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 08-07-2009 at 09:12 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to spongebobiwan For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (08-07-2009)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast