+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Abuse Detection Technology?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by spongebobiwan Houston, Tx. A Houston man identified by police only as "Chris", has been arrested and charged with "assault and battery" and "neglect" in connection with his
    iPhone? More like MyPhone thekid05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spongebobiwan View Post
    Houston, Tx.

A Houston man identified by police only as "Chris", has been arrested and charged with "assault and battery" and "neglect" in connection with his alleged unlawful treatment of an Apple iPhone. Police first learned of the inappropriate conduct through a website posting in which it was alleged that he wrote:

"Also in Houston these past few days the temperature outside has been 99 or higher, so If I go in a jog using my iPhone for one of it's purposes, I'm abusing it, So I guess I should only workout in cool temperatures and try not to break a sweat also."

Police took "Chris" into custody earlier today, and are investigating. "Additional charges may be pending, as this possible criminal activity may have been going on for some time", police said.

(Disclaimer: To those that are incapable of differentiating between legitimate posts and sarcastic humor, this was the latter. I'm merely having a little fun).

On the other side of this issue, I can't count the very large number of times I have read postings on this board, from persons who knew full well that they were the ones who had dropped, drowned, folded, spindled or mutilated their iPhones, yet NEVERTHELESS were here asking advice from people on "the best way to go about having Apple repair, replace, or refund their money" for the damage to their iPhones that they knew FULL WELL was their OWN fault, not Apples. I cringe every time I read one of those posts.

I grew up learning to take personal responsibility for my own actions and often wonder how so many others seem to have grown up learning only to blame others for mistakes they themselves have knowingly made.

***End of Sermon*** I will now pass the offering plate. Please put IN this time, instead of removing.
    lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone GHOSTYAIRO's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol
    I'm taking this to a lawyer to petion to make it legal, roflol
    also I will have to send her a copy so when I slap her she will know why I can do it.

On the other hand apple is right, there is a lot of people out there who treat cellphones like s#!& and then come back to the store to say "it's not my fault It just stop working" and as the phone or device is "under warranty" apple has to replace it.

I agree with them because that happen a lot in my store (let me refresh that, in the store where I work --my boss was giving me the "so, now is your store???" look--).
    Everyday people come compleining the phone is not working anymore, and the stories are like, "I don't know I dissconect the charger and the phone was off, just like that" when we open the phone it turns on that the port was completely broken the pins were all messesd, hence the costumer had to take the charger is such a way that distroyed all the pins.
    But when we tall the costumer thay are like "no it wasn't me I just want a new phone that's it"
    The other day a costumer came becasue the phone won't turn on, I asked the rutine questions like have you droped tha phone, have the phone had direct contact with water etc. the costumer answered all the questions with a firm NO. I took the battery cover, the paper detector was red which indicate tha the phone has somehow had contact with water, I asked again, she said I TOLD YOU NO. I think ok, I'm going to give her a break here because sometimes that paper gets red even when you put your phone in your pocket in a really hot day. I came to the back to the store, open the phone and oh surprise, I think I could get about 1/4 inch of water from that phone. the phone was so wet that some components were even oxidated already. The reaction of the costumer was, "It wasn't me, you took the phone on the back and put my phone into a glass of water just to void my warranty" the phone had 2 days of use. She even called the police.

So apple is right, it's going to be really easy to detect what was the cause for the device to stop working. Let's hope they get accurate and don't take advantage of it, because they could just said that everything it's the costumers fault.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GHOSTYAIRO For This Useful Post:

daxter146 (08-08-2009), peariFone (08-09-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

yea i live in a super humid area so my iphone is bound to get moisture from that alone that shouldnt void my warranty Apple better watch it their seriously reaching Microsoft level with their dealings and there wanting to control everything is down right scary, and this new abuse detection will screw over tons of people I guarantee it, because all software messes up its just a matter of time.

Btw the gf comment was funny as hell lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone GHOSTYAIRO's Avatar
    Thanks

Houston, Tx.

A Houston man identified by police only as "Chris", has been arrested and charged with "assault and battery" and "neglect" in connection with his alleged unlawful treatment of an Apple iPhone. Police first learned of the inappropriate conduct through a website posting in which it was alleged that he wrote:

"Also in Houston these past few days the temperature outside has been 99 or higher, so If I go in a jog using my iPhone for one of it's purposes, I'm abusing it, So I guess I should only workout in cool temperatures and try not to break a sweat also."

Police took "Chris" into custody earlier today, and are investigating. "Additional charges may be pending, as this possible criminal activity may have been going on for some time", police said.
    LOL love the sarcastic humor.
    I guess I have to stop making my iPhone play music 14 hours a day like I've been doing for about 3 weeks, y'all know it's abuse when you force to work more than 8 hours if you don't pay overtime lol. I don't want my iPhone's lawyers in back

(Disclaimer: To those that are incapable of differentiating between legitimate posts and sarcastic humor, this was the latter. I'm merely having a little fun).
    Good thing you post the disclaimer, Chris' wife was about to sue the police department because she said his iPhone is masoquist, it enjoy being abused.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ

iPhone? More like MyPhone dangerousandre's Avatar
    Thanks

Once you purchase a product surely its up to you if you put it in a blender or drive over it in a car, what right do Apple have to stop us abusing our stuff? thats like saying you can't slap your girlfriend, she's your girlfriend, you own her, you can do what you want to her lol
    Hahahahaha... Made my day... Thank you!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rel1215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj979 View Post
    Wow it can even disable the device. So whats the gauge on the accident before it is disabled? Lets say my iphone is sitting on the passenger seat, I make an abrubt stop and it slides to the floor of the car, the device disables itself and when I take it to apple, the say I abused it and void my warranty and force me to pay FULL RETAIL for another, WTF.

Like Jay316 said it's impossible to tell if it were an accident or not. Also in Houston these past few days the temperature outside has been 99 or higher, so If I go in a jog using my iPhone for one of it's purposes, I'm abusing it, So I guess I should only workout in cool temperatures and try not to break a sweat also.

As for bluaeon, you should think "outside the box" and stop thinking everyone is trying to scam Apple. Accidents DO HAPPEN, everyone is not perfect. I've dropped my iPhone before I definatly would not call it abuse, I was not TRYING to drop it. You are happy about the software now, but if its approved and some slight bump makes your phone disable itself (like if you were running while it was in your pocket)and you take it in the store and the software says it was dropped and they tell you your warranty is void and you have to buy a new one (full retail cause your 2years are not up), you'll get what we are saying.

You see Apple will believe the software not you, and the problem with that is ALL software screws up at one point or another, other wise there would be no need for these "Dev Teams" and Apple Techs, and PC techs, technical support staffs, etc. etc.

As for the girlfriend thing that was a joke, notice he put LOL. Stop being so anal.
    can you even read? it said the device could disable itself to prevent damage to other components....not brick the damn thing. you people are paranoid.....have you even been to an apple store before? have you ever seen how many people are up at the genius bar trying to get a replacement for stuff they obviously broke, or even parts on computers that are more than two years old? we don't know the details of this, but their are aspects that could actually be helpful. say you do drop your iphone....it reports no damage due to the drop, then a month later a component does fail....you take your iphone in and at first glance there is a dent visible to the store employee....they would normally tell you to take a hike, but instead their software says the drop didn't cause it.....and don't go off on this "accidents do happen" bs....of course they do...but people DO try to scam for replacements they shouldn't get, and thus those jerks ruin the system a little for the rest of us....stop complaining....go by a palm pre and come back to tell us about your experiences getting replacements for multiple cracked screens and oreo twisting sliders.

Thanks

LOL You people crack me up. I don't know what to think about this abuse detection sh@t. Could work out to be alright but it could also end up being a complete disaster for us the consumer (not that apple gives a d@mn or anything). The ONLY thing that companies such as Apple care about at the end of the day is prophet and how to make more of it. Anybody that thinks anything different is just plain ignorant.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    The ONLY thing that companies such as Apple care about at the end of the day is prophet and how to make more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    Could work out to be alright but it could also end up being a complete disaster for us the consumer (not that apple gives a d@mn or anything)
    At the same time you can't make a profit if you have to continue giving people products for free because they keep breaking them, and you can't make a profit if the majority of your consumers are pissed at you for your crappy goods; they'll only find a substitute.
    Last edited by dale1v; 08-07-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

dopestyle67 (08-07-2009)

Thanks

Neo you wannabe Mod.

Anyways this is just another excuse so apple wont replace our TOYS!

I hate em >.<
    @#$%^&*()(*&(*^%&$#
    EDM

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First why do people think that Apple's warranty is against accidental damage as if it were insurance? Their warranty is for defects against craftsmanship and materials. If you accidentally drop your phone or purposely toss it on the ground is not Apple's fault/problem. Take responsibility. If you crash your car you don't go to the dealer and say whoops it was an accident so its on you to fix it.

Second I worry about how sensitive the detection systems are but being an engineer I know how simple it would be to test that (DOE) but yeah right no one does that anymore.

Third those thinking that they just take the parts and resell them so its no loss to Apple obviously knows nothing about manufacturing and business and the business impact. They "resell" the parts to not lose AS MUCH as they would if they just toss them, no profit involved. How do I know this: manufacturing/industrial engineer.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So besides hardware failure, which even could be "caused by you" because of the new sensor, what is the warranty going to cover? I'm really struggling to think of what is left, because the sensor can just say that whatever happened was our fault.

It's like dropping the phone one time voids the warranty.

Thanks

I was ready to leave my opinion, but you made my day, and now i feel not in the mood to write.
    I'm gonna put my Prodigy CD on and slap my bi*** up. She deserves it.

PD.: Apple, please, quit The Gestapo Matrix Crap, and take that time for (keep) doing happy stuff for us.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Awesome
    Hey really nice info i would also like to share this with you guys
    <code>http://www.techmasher.com</code>

Thanks

i think they should provide accidental warrenty like best buy does on most of their products.. people drop stuff.. y should we be punished to pay outstanding amounts of money for our mistakes? apple already knows theyre gonna fix the phone.. then sell it as refurbished.. and still make more money off the broken phone

thats a good point there lmao
    Last edited by tonester1; 08-07-2009 at 12:31 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

apple can suck it they are really tryin to own there products even after its sold same thing with the jaibreaking its ours wtf is the problem

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo Saliola View Post
    I was ready to leave my opinion, but you made my day, and now i feel not in the mood to write.
    I'm gonna put my Prodigy CD on and slap my bi*** up. She deserves it.

PD.: Apple, please, quit The Gestapo Matrix Crap, and take that time for (keep) doing happy stuff for us.
    lmao

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

LMFAO!!! ahahaha

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is awesome because when its out and when these products specifically the iphones are jailbroken a way to crack this feature and disable it will be created and that will enable any iphone user who jailbreaks to get a new phone no matter what because apple will no longer care for a reason they will just check and if they see that there has been nothing then they will give you free iphone after free iphone

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good idea for apple to implement this. Here's where it pisses me off. I go to an apple store to buy an iPhone for the first time and tell them i want insurance on the phone. They say there is no insurance available for the iPhone. All they offer is apple care. I say no I want real honest to god insurance. All i can get is a warranty that only insures me from manufactures defects. F*** that I'm going to use the warranty like insurance. AT&T won't insure it, Apple only charges you $70 for an extended manufactures warranty. Where is the consumer protection in that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Things like this get blown so far out of proportion.. Can people honestly not grasp that apple is doing this as a defensive move? they aren't out to f*** all of their customers.. they aren't out to f*** everyone that jailbreaks (mostly).. How many times have you seen the youtube videos or hell, even the threads here? "How to guarantee a device swap at the apple store." "How can I break my phone enough to get it swapped."..

They are just making the decision idiot proof for their employees.. plug it in to some device, if it shows that it's bad. no swap... simple as that.. how many thousands of iphones have been swapped at the apple store that have been broken on purpose for various reasons? It's not like they are free, and even if they do get credit for the defective parts, there is no way its 100% credit. iPhones don't grow on trees do they?

From a business standpoint it's a perfectly valid thing to include in a device.
    -Eric

-White iPhone 3GS 32GB. (For SALE)
    -15" MacBook Pro. Aluminum.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric.Catalyst For This Useful Post:

dale1v (08-07-2009), peariFone (08-09-2009)