+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Psystar Files for Bankruptcy, Trying to Slow Down Lawsuit with Apple

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Apple and Psystar lawsuit seems to have taken an ugly turn. Psystar, the "Mac clone" maker, has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Florida last Thursday. This is
    Thanks

Thumbs down Psystar Files for Bankruptcy, Trying to Slow Down Lawsuit with Apple

The Apple and Psystar lawsuit seems to have taken an ugly turn. Psystar, the "Mac clone" maker, has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Florida last Thursday. This is reported to be a move to slow down its lawsuit with Apple, based on the violation of Millennium Copyright Act. Apple's legal firm was made aware of the move on Memorial Day. This filing by Psystar is a clear indication that those supporting them against Apple seem to have withdrawn support, and Psystar neither has the power nor the money to fight Apple anymore.

While Apple claims that the PC maker has no rights to sell PCs installed with Mac OSX, Psystar has not ceased retail operations.

The Florida court will be holding a hearing on June 5, which is likely to reveal the name of the mysterious investors who have been working in the background till now.

This smart move by the Psystar will put the lawsuit filed by Apple on hold while the Bankruptcy Court proceeds with the filing. Maybe it will give them some time to gather some investors and resume fighting Apple when the hold is lifted in the next few months.

Still, it might be the case that even when this stay is lifted, Psystar won't be in a position to resume it's fight with Apple against selling of Mac clones. It's clear enough that Psystar is on the verge of defeat - but there might be some hope for the PC maker.

[MacObserver]

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol just pay some jack a*$ to take the fall for you; be clear of your name so you won't be sued
    Last edited by badass1469; 05-26-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: cuz i can

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

wow

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if they bought each copy of OSX can't they do what they want with it as longvas they are not reselling it?

Thanks

don't they give you the copy of osx with the computer? I'm pretty sure they just install it for you. it's in the eula that it can't be installed on anything except mac hardware, but that might have to be changed soon
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

good thing my psystar is being shipped to me now, i knew i had to get this machine before they run out of buisness. $1800 MAC FOR THE prICE OF $800, iLL TAKE IT

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Oops

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslotito View Post
    good thing my psystar is being shipped to me now, i knew i had to get this machine before they run out of buisness. $1800 MAC FOR THE prICE OF $800, iLL TAKE IT
    As for buying one from them I don't think I would have because there will not be any warranty on it because of them going out of business.... what happens if something goes wrong with it... you are out the $800.00.....

Sounds like a good deal but I would rather have the real thing.....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks
    Thanked 9,169 Times in 5,675 Posts

sad, who's next
    Last edited by blkcadi; 05-26-2009 at 08:14 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Poor Psystar. I wish them luck in the end.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Channan For This Useful Post:

tivoselecta (05-27-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

and people say Microsoft is evil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happyjam64 View Post
    That's nothing wrong anyways

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happyjam64 View Post
    If compared (in diablo terminology), Apple would be a "fallen one" from Act I (little red-skinned demon), and microsoft would be a "Diablo" himself

---

Anyway, it is sad, that independent Apple-cloner goes down. My opinion is, that if someone wanted to buy a mac, but didn't because of the steep price, he/she wouldn't have done it anyway, with or without Psystar on the market. On the other hand, this person would probably buy a Psystar MC (Mac+pC), hence become one of many Mac OS users, buy iWork, maybe iLife, use iTunes and Apple Store thus investing in Apple products anyway. And maybe, just maybe, next time buy a real Mac (as i did, after a year of "hackingtoshing").
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

I am glad psystar is going to be gone soon. it was a stupid business in the first place. just buy a mac mini. let your money go to Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

i donno... macs all good and all but i still think it should be used else where, like build your own mac like how people build pc's??? right ???? in that sense youd know what you want and what you dont want...

i mean not all hardware work with mac and as for a pc you can you all types of hardware with out problems?

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    If compared (in diablo terminology), Apple would be a "fallen one" from Act I (little red-skinned demon), and microsoft would be a "Diablo" himself
    Oh, I'm not so sure that's true any more. With their tight control over the AppStore, plus things like this, I think Apple is posturing to become the next "bad boy" of the computer scene. Nobody really cares what Microsoft is doing at the moment. How the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    I am glad psystar is going to be gone soon. it was a stupid business in the first place. just buy a mac mini. let your money go to Apple.
    Well, I'm glad the way that you see the world is now going to be foisted upon the rest of us. One might argue though that Pystar had no effect on your life: If you wanted a Mac hardware based machine, you could buy one. With Pystar around, you had a choice of using them, or going with a Mac-hardware based machine. At the end of the day, people are still going to make PC based Macs. Now, they're just going to buy a Dell and install OSX on that. Probably with software that they steal. At least with Pystar, Apple was getting its license fee for OSX. Seems like a big shot in the foot to me, akin to music companies not wanting to sell their music online, because they need the control of the format. Apple showed them the way... it just doesn't like being SHOWN the way.
    Last edited by tivoselecta; 05-27-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

As bad as Micro$oft is, I don't remember them ever suing anyone over installing Windows on a Mac using bootcamp...

Also I agree that this kind of company only helps Apple. Personally after Hackintoshing for a year with illegal software, I bought a Mini, from the Apple store no less! I would have never done this had I not been able to use the Mac first on inexpensive PC hardware.
    Last edited by yomamashump; 05-27-2009 at 07:44 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

i second that... i havent got my mac yet but if it wasnt for hackingtoshing aswell..

i would of never considered a mac, i mean using a mac still is hard getting used to but i like it. ive been using windows for since windows 3.1 or better yet dos only recently i tried using leapard and its kool so yea thats why im considering it...

"try it before you buy it"

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Will this lawsuit help apples legal battles against jailbreaking?

Thanks

Cant we all just get along ?
    I would love to try out the Mac OS but cant afford the steep price and I dont want to turn my MSI Wind into a Hacintosh .