+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OSX 10.5.7 Finally Out, Last Stop to Snow Leopard!

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has finally release the much awaited and the last major update for leopard, till their next OSX release- Snow Leopard! Apple has been busy, constantly updating 10.5.7 and seeding
    Thanks

Arrow OSX 10.5.7 Finally Out, Last Stop to Snow Leopard!

Apple has finally release the much awaited and the last major update for leopard, till their next OSX release- Snow Leopard! Apple has been busy, constantly updating 10.5.7 and seeding it to developers in short periods for the past few weeks and now it's here.

The update of course is a big leap for Leopard over 10.5.6 which was released few months ago. As usual, the update comes in two flavors - combo (729 MB) for updating from any version of OSX 10.5 and the delta version (442 MB) to upgrade from 10.5.6.

The list of changes is quite huge.

General

* Includes latest security fixes.
    * Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
    * Improves performance of video playback and cursor movements for recent Macs with NVIDIA graphics.
    * Resolves an issue with Dvorak keyboard layout in Mac OS X 10.5.6.
    * Improves the reliability and accuracy of Unit Converter, Stocks, Weather and Movies Dashboard widgets.
    * Addresses a situation that may cause issues when logging into Gmail.
    * Improves reliability when syncing contacts with Yahoo!.
    * Expansion Slot Utility for Mac Pro now reports the correct PCIe slot configuration.
    * Improves network performance when connected to certain Ethernet switches that have Flow Control enabled.
    * Improves stability for network home directories hosted by Mac OS X Server v10.4.
    * Improves Finder search results for network volumes that may not support Spotlight searching, such as Mac OS X Server v10.4, Time Capsule, and third-party AFP servers.
    * Includes several improvements to Directory Service and Client Management, which are described in the About Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 Update article.

iCal

* Improves overall reliability with CalDav.
    * Improves reliability when automatically syncing with MobileMe.

Mail

* Addresses reliability and sync issues with Notes.
    * Addresses an issue that may cause the BCC field to populate incorrectly when redirecting a message from the Sent mailbox.

Parental Controls

* Improves consistency with Parental Controls and application restrictions.
    * Addresses an issue in which time limits may not work properly with full-screen games and Fast User Switching.

Printing

* Resolves an issue that may cause certain third-party printers to print to the incorrect paper tray.
    * Non-admin user accounts can now be allowed to add and remove printers by enabling Parental Controls and selecting "Can administer printers".
    * Includes other printing reliability and stability improvements.
    This version greatly increases the stability as well as security of the OS. You can get it from your familiar Software Update window
    Last edited by sayam; 05-12-2009 at 03:30 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question: DId they ever fix the issue with Safari 4 Beta not working on 10.5.7?

BTW, downloading right now....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Gd can't wait 4 snow leopard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domaid View Post
    Gd can't wait 4 snow leopard
    me too

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Last stop for clarksville

with all the updates, why didn't the just wait and deploy them in snow leopard???

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Any update on how this affects DFU mode?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    Last stop for clarksville

with all the updates, why didn't the just wait and deploy them in snow leopard???
    apple doesn't want to release a new OS leaving a laggy one behind for users unwilling to update.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jschmall View Post
    Question: DId they ever fix the issue with Safari 4 Beta not working on 10.5.7?

BTW, downloading right now....
    There is a update for that as well, you will notice it after the restart then check the Software Update button again
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    ^^^Any news yet??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I just read that on MacRumors. Thanks though!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Andy51081's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the first time i have updated leopard, do i need to make a backup, or will it be done for me, or is there no need?

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm downloading now. Should take 20-30 minutes on my connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I'll test after it downloads and installs, but I doubt that Apple is going to ever fix that. In their eyes, its a feature, not a bug.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I got this little never ending event after the install. After about 5 minutes I just hard restarted and all is well so far. Any idea as to what it was? Video driver glitch?

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i111.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid111.photobucket.com/albums/n158/jbathehut/100_1104-1.flv">

Thanks

I only got about 10mb into the download and it kicked up an error saying that the signature could not be verified and that it may have been corrupted since Apple signed it? Any ideas?

Plus the download is only showing as 264mb or so?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy51081 View Post
    I only got about 10mb into the download and it kicked up an error saying that the signature could not be verified and that it may have been corrupted since Apple signed it? Any ideas?

Had the same issue. Reset the machine and try again

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Excellent, downloading now...

Thanks for the heads up!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Maybe my question was misunderstood. I am currently on 10.5.6 with the DFU mode fixed by the Apple script program. What I'm wondering is if this update undoes that fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

On the Apple website it says to do a backup before any updates. Are we all expected to have an ex hd or is there an easier way? New to all this

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy51081 For This Useful Post:

OneNila (08-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is there any info on how this update will effect dfu mode?

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

I downloaded the combo update from the original post since I have speed download and I knew it would download a lot faster. It took about 10 minutes total to download. I then went and installed it, and about 15 minutes after installing, almost everything froze. I was talking to a friend on Skype and I could still talk to him and hear him, but I couldn't move the mouse, the keyboard didn't work at all, and the counter on Skype that says who long you've been in a conversation had frozen. I gave it about another 10 minutes but it didn't appear to do anything. Then I held down the power button and did a forced shutdown and turned my MacBook back on. It booted right up and the "About This Mac" page under the Apple menu said I was running 10.5.7. Interestingly, my external 1TB hard drive was mounted 4 times and my Windows partition was mounted twice:

I figured having Skype running during the update messed something up, so I ran it again and it finished in about 15 minutes with no problems. After rebooting, I noticed that my external hard drive and my Windows partition where mounted only once each. Then I opened up iTunes to check DFU mode. I plugged in my iTouch and put it into DFU mode. Shockingly, iTunes told me an iPod was discovered in recovery mode! Previous to updating, if I connected my iTouch in DFU mode, iTunes would freeze on the screen saying "Waiting on iPod". I haven't attempted to actually use DFU mode yet because I don't want to restore my iTouch right now, but it would seem that DFU might work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy51081 View Post

Try downloading the update from the link in the original post. That's what I did and I had no problem downloading it.
    Last edited by lightmaster; 05-12-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lightmaster For This Useful Post:

cleanconscience (05-12-2009)