+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OSX 10.5.7 Finally Out, Last Stop to Snow Leopard!

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Hi.. I went from 10.5.6 (patched DFu mode) to 10.5.7 via "Software-Update" and everything went smoothe DFU mode works fine on my unibody MacBook FOr the first time Nice update!
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi..
    I went from 10.5.6 (patched DFu mode) to 10.5.7 via "Software-Update" and everything went smoothe
    DFU mode works fine on my unibody MacBook FOr the first time

Nice update!

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

bit of a noobie here when is comes to mac etc, so whats DFU?!?!?

lol

like someones signiture says

"ask a question and remain foolish for 5 mins, dont ask the question and remain foolish forver!
    Last edited by shabz_de_don; 05-13-2009 at 02:02 AM.

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

Thanks

Just updated my MB from 10.5.6 without a hitch. Also then ran SU again to get the latest Safari (although it did work for the brief few seconds I tried it after installing .7).

DFU mode is what you put your phone into to JB etc. It's only mentioned here as there was a "problem" with OS 10.5.6 that prevented you from being able to do it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iGuy For This Useful Post:

shabz_de_don (05-13-2009)

Thanks

Apple has finally fixed issues with DFU mode!

iPhone? More like MyPhone shabz_de_don's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks guys, atleast im one answer clever now :P using a mac is a whole new language for me lol

iPhone? ... No?... MYphone!!!

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

My iPhone is a Part of Me ekidd's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Hmmm, see I did the Delta and got the gray boo screen, rebooted twice and now everything is happy again.
    got the same result with my girlfriends macbook except with the combo package....
    Last edited by ekidd; 05-13-2009 at 03:54 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dhruvmalik's Avatar
    Thanks

Did it through SU, no issues here. SU Update again to get the latest Safari 4 PB Update. DFU Mode works here without any issues.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Updated my MacBook Air (New Nvidia type) from 10.5.6 using Software Update (10.5.6 - DFU not working) to the new 10.5.7 - no problems, two restarts and all is good.

DFU working when my iPhone is connected directly to my Air USB.

Thanks

Whenever updating OS X it is best to always follow the procedures I had outlined in my post. These are tried and proven steps over the past 21 years and had never given anyone issues, no matter what versions of Mac OS or Macintosh computer people had.

Updating OS X is unlike updating any other piece of software, especially OS X, since it is usually a fairly comprehensive replacement/upgrade of key files within the OS.
    No Sig Spam

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vinko For This Useful Post:

iGuy (05-13-2009)

Thanks

Thanks vinko for your link (although I haven't ever had any problems), but I'm sure it will help a lot out there.

You say run Disk Utility beforehand, but I was advised to always run DU afterwards, which I do. Am I wasting mine (& my Mac's) time in doing this straight away after installing new software?

Your wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Default huh? 449MB??
    Just to put some minds at ease - not everyone will have an update sized at 449MB. As evilspoons mentioned, some are 289MB (give or take) and another friend mentioned hers was 401MB. I suspect (though am absolutely not certain) it depends on which updates you've already installed, and which model Mac you have.

Thanks

My Macbook Air Updated thru the SU with no problems it took an hour or so and did the download and install accordingly. Itunes is already updated. How do I become the Administrator without having to reinstall OSX Leopard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    My Macbook Air Updated thru the SU with no problems it took an hour or so and did the download and install accordingly. Itunes is already updated. How do I become the Administrator without having to reinstall OSX Leopard?
    If you are the sole user of your laptop, you should already be adminsitrator?
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

An hour?! My Air took less than 10 mins to download and install. Are you on a slow connection?

Green Apple
    Thanks

anyone knows if there is any incompatibility between iTunes 8.2 and quickpwn on mac?
    quickpwn does not recognize my iphone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post
    You say run Disk Utility beforehand, but I was advised to always run DU afterwards, which I do. Am I wasting mine (& my Mac's) time in doing this straight away after installing new software?
    To answer your question you need to first understand the purpose of running "Repair Disk Permissions" from within Disk Utility.

Since OS X is an Unix based operating system, permissions of files are very important, but sometimes; for whatever reasons, these file and folder permissions are messed up by either Apple or 3rd party applications; it is often the latter.

Therefore ensuring the permissions are as expected by the OS is the best thing to do before allowing an OS update to update its files. The less variables you offer to the update process the happier you will be. Trust me.

Keep in mind that sometimes the issues, resulting from bad update process, do not manifest themselves until months after the initial execution of the update, due to usage patterns. In some cases, because of this usage patterns the problems are not apparent until things get really messed up.

This is all reasons why the procedures I had outlined are the recommended steps for applying any OS X updates on the Mac.

Of course, there are no harm in running "Repair Disk Permissions" after an OS update, but you need to always make sure you're using the same version of Disk Utility that came with the OS you're running.

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    If you are the sole user of your laptop, you should already be adminsitrator?
    You should never use your Mac from a user account with "Admin" rights. See my reply to Mikerlx below.

How do I become the Administrator without having to reinstall OSX Leopard?
    Why do you want to be in the Administrator of your Mac? You should never use your Mac on a regular bases from an account with full "Administrator" rights.

If you always use your Mac from the user with "Standard" rights, then if your Mac is ever hacked the hacker will only have the same rights as that user. On the other hand if you are using your Mac from a user with "Admin" rights, the hacker will have full access to your Mac; there is also "root" users, but I will not get into that.

This is why I always set up my Macs and anyone else I helped, with at least 2 user accounts. One with full "Admin" rights, that is usually the first account created when setting up a new Mac, and the second with "Standard" user rights.

If you ever want to login as the Administrator, you just have to choose "Log Out XXXX..." from the Apple menu and relogin with as the user with Admin rights. Alternatively, if you have "Enable fast user switching" on, you can switch user from the User menu at the top right side of the menu bar.
    Last edited by vinko; 05-13-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    No Sig Spam

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vinko For This Useful Post:

iGuy (05-14-2009)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

idk about anyone else but i'm having bluetooth mouse issues after the update.

now instead of it not working sometimes after a sleep start up, it randomly drops the mouse while i'm using it and i gotta goto prefs and have it search for new devices and that gets it going again. ugh, this sucks! ******* apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

im having hard drive issues now.. sucks none of my hard drives will stay connected nor will my extigy work now... frustrating!

Thanks

Just updated to 10.5.7 from 10.5.5 today with no problems. Jailbreak works fine as my son happened to bring his friend's iPod touch home so I could fix his failed jailbreak. Pwnage and iTunes worked without a glitch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

DFU Fixes!!! wooohoooo
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123