+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FTC Investigating Apple & Google for Antitrust Violation

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
According to a report by The New York Times the Federal Trade Commission is currently investigating both Apple and Google for possible antitrust violations. Unnamed sources say that Apple and
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Default FTC Investigating Apple & Google for Antitrust Violation

According to a report by The New York Times the Federal Trade Commission is currently investigating both Apple and Google for possible antitrust violations. Unnamed sources say that Apple and Google have been notified of the investigation by the FTC.

The issue is that Google CEO Eric Schmidt and former Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson both hold positions on the boards of Apple and Google. Sharing directors could mean that Apple and Google are violating provision under Section 8 of the Clayton Antitrust Act, regarding "interlocking directorates." The prevision is in place so that companies that both compete in the same markets will actually compete with each other -- sharing directors could lead to them working together in a market rather than competing.

While just a few years ago this wouldn't have been a problem recent advances by both companies have left them doing business in the same markets. The iPhone and Andriod both compete in mobile communications, Safari and Chrome both are web browsers, Pisca and iPhoto both play with photos, etc etc etc.

[via electronista]

Thanks
    It's quite interesting. In the old days the fools say Apple is not popular enough, now they are saying Apple is too popular?

Nice old style apple font... lol

Apple has been using Sans-serif font for awhile now. Quick image search fail? =p

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The assertion that they are violating the Clayton Antitrust Act via "interlocking directorates" actually would make a decent amount of sense. It would seem as though Google has given us iPhone users quite a bit of love, just about as much as they give their own Android. This gives us iPhone users very little incentive to even consider the Android platform (I've considered it and rejected it), especially if we are going to continue to get the sweet sweet google love that we've been getting.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

i wonder how this is gonna play out, and what will be the impact on consumers?

Thanks

under what setting are they competing in the same industry?!
    Google is in the information supply industry offering widgets and gadgets to gather that information while in general being a Marketing company.

Apple on the other hand is giving products to the public and its consumers that will keep them mobile, in a stylish and classy way, with service to their product unmatched by others.

Might be that I am standing in the forest and cant see the trees because I am biased - but any suggestions on this one?!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

^^^Google's mobile operating system Android, in contrast with Apple's iPhone OS. Granted, google doesn't manufacture the hardware, they most definitely are responsible for Android.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

"sharing directors could lead to them working together in a market"

Working together is not allowed. Nice.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

two major companies trying to work together towards a common goal of world domination?!? preposterous, inflammatory and down right offensive. Apple would never engage in such things. Steve, dont listen to the slanderous bigots. (laugh till vomitous and curse at the idiots fanboys who believe apple isn't a scumbag money monger like the rest of 'em)
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    two major companies trying to work together towards a common goal of world domination?!? preposterous, inflammatory and down right offensive. Apple would never engage in such things. Steve, dont listen to the slanderous bigots. (laugh till vomitous and curse at the idiots fanboys who believe apple isn't a scumbag money monger like the rest of 'em)
    lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwin84 View Post
    (laugh till vomitous and curse at the idiots fanboys who believe apple isn't a scumbag money monger like the rest of 'em)
    Apple may be a money monger like the rest of them, but at least they don't produce a sub-standard product. You get what you pay for.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.