+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Sued for Stopping Open Source iTunes Discussion

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Back in November we reported about Apple shutting down discussion on how to reverse engineer iTunes to make syncing of iPhones and iPods work with applications other than iTunes along
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,271 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple Sued for Stopping Open Source iTunes Discussion
    Back in November we reported about Apple shutting down discussion on how to reverse engineer iTunes to make syncing of iPhones and iPods work with applications other than iTunes along with unsupported operating systems like Linux. Back then we thought the whole thing was a bit ridiculous. IF you want to sync on Linux or without iTunes you should be able to right?

At the time Apple claimed that the discussions were in violation of the DMCA Act because this reverse engineering could possibly lead to copyright violations.

Some months later the folks behind the site that Apple insisted discussions be removed from, Bluwiki.com, have filed a lawsuit against Apple in order to establish their right to restore the previously removed discussions. They claim that reverse-engineering to create a new product is perfectly acceptable under the DMCA Act and that the discussions were only about reverse engineering iTunes in order to use Apple devices with other software and iTunes on linux which in no way violate any of the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions or Apple's copyrights.

[via macworld]

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Thats actually kinda funny.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Apple will never learn

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good. About time Apple is checked for perspective. First the patent, now this. I'm glad to see the little guy step up to defend themselves...even though their efforts might be futile against Apple's legal team(s).

Thanks

Take them down Bluwiki

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

i think apple might lose one

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know how long some of you have been using Apple products, but as a LONG time Apple user I can say that I am very disappointed in how Apple has been representing themselves the past couple years. Other than iPhone, I'm going to have to think hard about buying Apple hardware in the future. I'm running a pretty darn sweet Hackintosh right now and I think I'll be content to build future ones.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    i think apple might lose one
    you mean another one lol
    [ame=http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=97621]OPTi wins $19 million from Apple in patent lawsuit - AppleInsider[/ame]

Thanks

Knock em down a few pegs, apple is cool and all, they make good products and they have seen lots of growth, but like all company's that get big, they're head gets to big and think they can control the world. I hope these guys win, if not apple should create a Linux specific version to work correctly.

Thanks

meh, nothing new that apple is trying to keep everything closed. look back a few years at some of the bull **** they were involved with

id love to see syncing on linux

Thanks

apple is just a big bully with a lot of big lawyers. ive been an advocate of apple for some time now, but this is starting to get ridiculous. i wanna see them go down for a change. maybe that will teach them to stop suing people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone blazingangel1986's Avatar
    Thanks

here we go again i hope they win
    www.ccbahamas.co.nr

Thanks

How can you punish for something they MIGHT do??? now that is illegal...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iman07 View Post
    apple is just a big bully with a lot of big lawyers. ive been an advocate of apple for some time now, but this is starting to get ridiculous. i wanna see them go down for a change. maybe that will teach them to stop suing people.
    They have lost $19 million against OPTi already.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I hope this opens doors to an open source itunes for linux. This is really the only thing that is holding me back from being exclusive to just linux and not have to switch back and forth from linux to windows.

Thanks

This is just strategy for Apple. Pound the little guys with legal action so others are scared to defy Apple. Otherwise once the floodgates are open Apple will lose all control.

Not to say Apple needs to be in total control. But I can see how they'd rather draw the line on their terms.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The real question is (since I don't feel like researching right now), is it perfectly legal to reverse engineer software in this way? I mean really the intent isn't so much to make a new product than to change the way the product works, right?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

love my iphone and my macbook pro,
    but i friggin HATE apple

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there something wrong with keeping quality control under control? I mean look at microsoft....with so many third party applications around it is no wonder a lot of people's windows boxes fail. Consistently. Should Apple release a Linux iTunes? Absolutely. People need to stop ragging on Apple about wanting to control their products. It works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Is there something wrong with keeping quality control under control? I mean look at microsoft....with so many third party applications around it is no wonder a lot of people's windows boxes fail. Consistently. Should Apple release a Linux iTunes? Absolutely. People need to stop ragging on Apple about wanting to control their products. It works.
    At the moment I guess the linux population is too small for Apple to really care about. Why should Apple care to support linux? IMHO linux is a really great OS. What better way for Apple to prevent OSX users from switching over to linux, or to encourage linux users to switch over to OSX.