+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Store DRM Free. Variable Pricing Goes Live.

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
As of yesterday all the tracks on iTunes are DRM Free. Yes all! Also all songs on the iTunes Store are now at 256kbps AAC encoding, which according to Apple
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default iTunes Store DRM Free. Variable Pricing Goes Live.

As of yesterday all the tracks on iTunes are DRM Free. Yes all! Also all songs on the iTunes Store are now at 256kbps AAC encoding, which according to Apple is indistinguishable from the original recordings.

With the death of iTunes store DRM comes variable pricing. There are three options for someone (record labels?) to set the songs at for purchase. $1.29, $0.99, and $.69. There doesn't seem to be many that have changed from the $0.99 price point yet although there are a few at $1.29. There is also at least one or two $0.69 tracks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

AKCHRIS (04-08-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    Also all songs on the iTunes Store are now at 256kbps AAC encoding, which according to Apple is indistinguishable from the original recordings.
    Can't they get over themselves and their apparent indiscernible ears? I've don a double blind test and got 7/10 which format is which. That was on 320kbps. 256kbps is a joke.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cellmate75 View Post
    First!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't get it
    What is a DRM?
    Digital Rights Management. It basically is an anti-piracy step. In iTune's case, you can;t really transfer their media to non-Apple products and even then you were limited to how many of those products. Removing DRM makes it so you can put it anywhere, anytime, as many copies as you want... like ripping a song from a CD for example.

And please, don't be an immature kid. Stop with the "first" nonsense. Whoever started that trend was a tool. Don't be the same...

Quote Originally Posted by haibane View Post
    Can't they get over themselves and their apparent indiscernible ears? I've don a double blind test and got 7/10 which format is which. That was on 320kbps. 256kbps is a joke.
    I do think the average person can't tell the difference. Depends on the tracks though. And of course the hardware you are playing it on.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 04-08-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

cellmate75 (04-08-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me cellmate75's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh
    AWESOME!!!
    Lol
    So it means I can use a sony MP3 player and use it with itunes?
    And I say first because it isn't everyday that I get the first comment on a website like this
    >/

Green Apple
    Thanks
    seems like they are finaly being smart since itunes store is nicely laid out. so making it so non apple products can be used with it as well seems to be a smart marketing skill as well. but im to busy with my iphone to worry about other mp3 players haha

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does this mean all my existing music is DRM free? or just future stuff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Digital Rights Management. It basically is an anti-piracy step. In iTune's case, you can;t really transfer their media to non-Apple products and even then you were limited to how many of those products. Removing DRM makes it so you can put it anywhere, anytime, as many copies as you want... like ripping a song from a CD for example.

And please, don't be an immature kid. Stop with the "first" nonsense. Whoever started that trend was a tool. Don't be the same...

I do think the average person can't tell the difference. Depends on the tracks though. And of course the hardware you are playing it on.
    I think if they bothered to pay attention you could tell the difference between 256 and 320, but most people just turn on the music and ignore it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big "dd" View Post
    Does this mean all my existing music is DRM free? or just future stuff
    No, you have to pay to upgrade it if you bought it from iTunes.

I'm really glad to see this change and welcome it very much!

Thanks

how to you get the song DRM free. do you have to click somethign special?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I don't know if it's still there but there was an update all songs link on their front page. I don't know I don't download AAC files. I'd rather buy CD's or download MP3's.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cellmate75 View Post
    Oh
    AWESOME!!!
    Lol
    So it means I can use a sony MP3 player and use it with itunes?
    And I say first because it isn't everyday that I get the first comment on a website like this
    >/
    "1st" or "I'm first" posts get deleted... It doesn't add to the conversation and opens yourself up for ridicule.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Ringtones!!!
    This apparently would mean that now you can make ringtones from your itunes music without paying the extra $.99, is it was the DRM that prevented you from doing it before.

Am I correct in this logic?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

i dont think so

Thanks

Well It's about FRAKKIN time...But still..All us People who bought Music in the Past...I guess we'll have too live with it..
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sure you can use it on any brand player you want... as long as it can play AAC. I don't see the point if they still format it in AAC. Maybe if it was AIF, or WAV, or even (god forbid) MP3.

As to all of the people talking about quality, I'm glad that Apple moved up to 256kbs, but I wish they could go smaller with lossless formats. I can definately tell between MP3 and "CD Rips", but Lossless audio files are so big. There needs to be a happy medium.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gastonm's Avatar
    Thanks

Great News! Glad to hear the quality is improved as well. Nice to hear Jazz music clearly!
    JESUS CHRIST SAVES

Unlocked Tmobile

Thanks

wait... so 256 is higher than before right? I remember when they first annonced this, i didn't want to use there "we will un DRM ur already purchased music for like 30 cents a song" program. Not because of the money (tho i do think that is absurd even with the increase in quality), but because i actually didn't want the quality increase... i remember reading that it would make the music files like 30% largere or something like that... I personally have no problem with the sound quality they were using before, and if upgrading meant that my 8 gigs of music would become like 10 or 11 gigs, that was the only thing that realy stopped me. Does anyone know if this is all accurate, and if there is a better way to convert my music to non-drm without increasing the size (and yes i know i could do the rip it to cd and then back thing, but that is just rediculously time consuming)