+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes 8.1 to be Released Shortly

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The timing of the release of iTunes 8.1 is curious, specially when you take into consideration Apple's stance and actions directed at jailbroken / unlocked iPhones. New MAC OSX computers
    Thanks

The timing of the release of iTunes 8.1 is curious, specially when you take into consideration Apple's stance and actions directed at jailbroken / unlocked iPhones.
    1. New MAC OSX computers break the DFU restore process that QuickPwn and PwnageTool use.
    2. Apple quietly released 2.2.1 firmware update for iPhone and iPhone 3G which breaks unlocking.
    3. Apple announces that "jailbreaking" is illegal.
    4. Apple & AT&T announces the limitation of 18 months between purchases for replacements, upgrades and additional iPhones. This was definately a tactic aimed at limiting the supply of jailbroken / unlocked iPhones.
    5. Apple releases iTunes 8.1 update. Will iTunes 8.1 try to detect jailbroken / unlocked iPhones? Will it try to block the DFU restore mode used in jailbreaking software?
    I hate being suspicious of Apple's intentions, but lately that's hard. Anyone updating to iTunes 8.1, let the community know of any problems with jailbroken or jailbroken/unlocked iPhones.
    Last edited by reddawg; 03-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks river0. i'm coming from the same place as you. i don't upgrade until there's a worthwhile reason to. i'm also at 2.2 so as long as it's safe with 8.1, i'll probably upgrade itunes at least. but as for the 3.0 iphone software...it would have to be worth it

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

The issue is not if you can sync your iPhone with the new iTunes version. I would doubt that there would be any problems with that. The question is if you can jailbreak with the new iTunes. I do not want to upgrade iTunes to later find out that jailbreaking will no longer work. Until I read that someone has taken their iPhone and performed a successful jailbreak with the new version of iTunes, I will not be "upgrading" to it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lightmaster View Post
    Has anyone successfully jailbroken their iPhone/iTouch with iTunes 8.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    THAT is the question that needs to be answered. Nothing else in this thread really matters at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    does anyone know whether it's safe to upgrade yet...for a jailbroken iphone obviously

thanks

alan
    I have somewhat answered this, just across more than one post...

I had FW 2.2 jailbroken, I upgraded to iTunes 8.1. Afterwards, I hooked up the iPhone and had an alert box pop up telling me that there was a new firmware version 2.2.1. I cancelled since I wanted to stay jailbroken. a few seconds later iTunes put my iPhone 3G 16 GB into restore mode and was trying to update to 2.2.1. I promptly unplugged the iPhone, turned it off. Pulled up pwnage tool, updated it. I then built a jailbroken 2.2.1 ipsw, pulled up iTunes 8.1 and loaded 2.2.1 jailbroken. Have been in the process of finding all of the packages that I had before the upgraded firmware.

So it is safe to sync with iTunes, it is okay to load a jailbroken ipsw via iTunes 8.1...it is safe to upgrade.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's strange... maybe when you update to iTunes 8.1 it defaults to automatically update firmware... that's why whenever i update any program i make sure to go through the settings and see if everything is still the same. Didn't think my paranoia would actually come to fruition but at least good to know someone can custom update firmware still through iTunes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No iTunes update has ever added any usuable features that make switching over to it seem like a good thing. I've been a Winamp user for over 10 years and will continue to be. Thanx to PWNPlayer, FunamBol and a couple other progies I don't need iTunes for anything anyways. I doubt Apple will add wireless sync or transfer anytime soon. It's really sad tho, they always talk and act like there at the forefront of technology, but then how come the iPhone is the first phone I've owned since 2001 that won't allow me to sync wirelessly. Were in the 21st century apple, cables are for charging only.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ignore this
    Last edited by d4hwt; 03-13-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: completely mixed up with osx and itunes updates..ignore

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

lol. Hackers not the best in grammar. lol.

I haz failed!

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

My iPhone is a Part of Me lightmaster's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSimpson View Post
    I have somewhat answered this, just across more than one post...

I had FW 2.2 jailbroken, I upgraded to iTunes 8.1. Afterwards, I hooked up the iPhone and had an alert box pop up telling me that there was a new firmware version 2.2.1. I cancelled since I wanted to stay jailbroken. a few seconds later iTunes put my iPhone 3G 16 GB into restore mode and was trying to update to 2.2.1. I promptly unplugged the iPhone, turned it off. Pulled up pwnage tool, updated it. I then built a jailbroken 2.2.1 ipsw, pulled up iTunes 8.1 and loaded 2.2.1 jailbroken. Have been in the process of finding all of the packages that I had before the upgraded firmware.

So it is safe to sync with iTunes, it is okay to load a jailbroken ipsw via iTunes 8.1...it is safe to upgrade.
    So, you can successfully jailbreak an iPhone/iTouch with iTunes 8.1. My next question is: Does anyone know if iTunes 8.1 has anyway to detect that you're jailbroken? Is it going to call home to Apple and say "Lightmaster has a jailbroken iTouch. You need to go break down his door and arrest him." I really doubt that they'd actually come arrest me, but I'd still rather Apple not know that I'm jailbroken because there are other things that Apple can do, like stopping my iTunes Store account or something.
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Thanks

Running Windows XP, just got brave and tried my 3G with 2.2fw, upgraded to iTunes 8.1 without a hitch and I got no forced upgrades or even indications of a fw upgrade being present, but I think I told it previously to just download and leave me alone. All my settings are the same.

Add one to the successful list. This is enough for me to consider 8.1 "safe". Also, no major speed improvements as far as the GUI. Seems to be backend speed to avoid the "loading / saving library" progress bars. False advertising if you ask me. Scrolling and cover flow still blows. Also the cover flow font is now the Mac font instead of Verdana/Tahoma. I hate the Mac font.. looks blurry.

So, you can successfully jailbreak an iPhone/iTouch with iTunes 8.1. My next question is: Does anyone know if iTunes 8.1 has anyway to detect that you're jailbroken? Is it going to call home to Apple and say "Lightmaster has a jailbroken iTouch. You need to go break down his door and arrest him." I really doubt that they'd actually come arrest me, but I'd still rather Apple not know that I'm jailbroken because there are other things that Apple can do, like stopping my iTunes Store account or something.
    There's no real way to tell this, and honestly, Apple wouldn't care about this information. They've already proved with previous updates that they're not going to brick your phone when you sync. Other than preventing you from doing it, why would they care? Also, if you opt to not use iTunes, your phone's usability is going to be greatly reduced, and you know it.. so why ask?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    There's no real way to tell this, and honestly, Apple wouldn't care about this information. They've already proved with previous updates that they're not going to brick your phone when you sync. Other than preventing you from doing it, why would they care? Also, if you opt to not use iTunes, your phone's usability is going to be greatly reduced, and you know it.. so why ask?
    I didn't mean that I wouldn't use iTunes, just that I might not upgrade. I think I will try updating iTunes on my Macbook when I get home. So, here's to hoping that updating iTunes doesn't screw me over somehow, cuz Apple's never tried to secretly screw us jailbreakers over before (cough) (cough).
    "In computer networking, a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer." (1)

"The Macintosh, or Mac, is a series of several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc." (2)

Thanks

My iTunes was able to detect my iPod touch. I have no problems with interfering with my jailbroken iPod touch 2.2.1!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Just bricked my phone, so tried to restore with custom software, can't get my phone in DFU mode. On itunes 8.1. I'm going to try to downgrade and see if that works.

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Just a thought
    I have my credit card linked to iTunes. I was thinking that maybe all they do is compaire the apps you've bought in the past and see what you have in the list and charge you for the ones you've downloaded or transfered via SSH onto your iPhone/iPT2G.

I'm not saying I heard this anywhere, I was thinking it when I was reading these posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Night101 View Post
    I have my credit card linked to iTunes. I was thinking that maybe all they do is compaire the apps you've bought in the past and see what you have in the list and charge you for the ones you've downloaded or transfered via SSH onto your iPhone/iPT2G.

I'm not saying I heard this anywhere, I was thinking it when I was reading these posts.
    Interesting idea, but I don't think that Apple knows what's in you iTunes library. That would be a major invasion of privacy and Apple would end up getting sued by half of America. I'm not sure that they're willing to risk that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iTunes Library
    Interesting idea, but I don't think that Apple knows what's in you iTunes library. That would be a major invasion of privacy and Apple would end up getting sued by half of America. I'm not sure that they're willing to risk that.
    Agreed but as for the "I don't think that Apple knows what's in you iTunes library" doesn't the Genius app scan your song library which then sends it off somewhere so (what the main perpous is) to gather similar songs for users to play and enjoy?

So now Apple has your credit card (for most) and your song library. Who knows if they also have a list of the apps. I'm going to wait about a month or so before I update to 8.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Night101 View Post
    Agreed but as for the "I don't think that Apple knows what's in you iTunes library" doesn't the Genius app scan your song library which then sends it off somewhere so (what the main perpous is) to gather similar songs for users to play and enjoy?
    Yes, they have the list of what your songs are. Remember that TOS agreement you had to accept before Genius would work? By clicking Accept, you gave Apple permission to gather data on your music. I read through that very boring TOS to make sure I was agreeing to what I thought I was agreeing to. Though I don't remember all of it, I don't remember there being anything in it about allowing Apple to collect data on your Applications. If they haven't made you accept a TOS that said Apple could collect data on your Applications, then Apple is legally not allowed to.

Thanks

Im still running iTunes 8.0 and have successfully jailbreaks on 2.2.1with it. My personal philosophy is dont fix whats not broken.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

i got a message on itunes 8.1 that asked me to send info to apple that could help diagnose problems and i looked under details it was going to send my jailbroken baseband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juar3z View Post
    i got a message on itunes 8.1 that asked me to send info to apple that could help diagnose problems and i looked under details it was going to send my jailbroken baseband
    Ive had this message a few times on iTunes 8.0 as well. I just say "no" to sending info.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.