Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: More on Apple’s Touchscreen Netbook, This Time by Dow Jones!

Thanks

I don't know if a touchscreen netbook would be as amazing as many would imagine it to be. I mean, you're not gonna be doing a whole load of stuff on a netbook that really requires touchscreen. Assuming its a netBOOK. we will have a keyboard and a trackpad.

On a computer, practicality goes in this order:

Keyboard > Mouse > Touchscreen

Keyboard shortucts and indexing can take you where you want to go in a matter of seconds (typing "Fir" into spotlight will open firefox faster than you can by clicking on it).
    A mouse lets you do the stuff a keyboard cannot do, and it's extremely useful; you know this because there hasn't been anything to replace it since it's arrival. However, we know that the mouse is not always needed if you know your keyboard shortcuts.
    Touchscreen, meh. Can you imagine sitting down, wielding your laptop, and constantly rasing your hand from the neutral zone (the keyboard and trackpad, that is) to the screen just to carry out a task that you could easily perform in a shorter space of time with a flick of a mouse or a tap of a key?
    Try it with your laptop and see (pretend you have a touchscreen); race yourself and try to press the x on the screen with your finger before you can press alt-f4 or command-q on your keyboard. Or try and imagine to rotate an image with "innovative multi-touch" before you can click the buttons
    [rotate image 90 degrees clockwise] or [rotate image 90 degrees anticlockwise] (usually directly below the image) with your mouse.
    Blergh.
    I for one can't be bothered with touchscreen on a laptop, unless it was a tabletPC where i would only really use it to draw diagrams in a lecture or something like that.
    Last edited by dale1v; 03-10-2009 at 06:52 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

After the disaster with the Mac Book Air, I highly doubt that Apple will sell a tablet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

uShow® is a registered trademark of NOT HAPPENING Inc. No rights reserved.
    hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.
    oh the true ness.

This notebook would look cool, but as you said, Dale, it's not very practical.
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

thats really cool

This will be really really awsome if its real.
    Last edited by manbearpig; 03-10-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

IT'S MANBEARPIG!
    I told you it was real!

Device: iPhone 2G 16 GB
    Firmware: 2.2.1 Unlocked + Jailbroken w/ Quickpwn.
    Computer: Windows XP & Vista (64 Bit)

This is kind of a novelty thing to me I guess. It's not like it'll fit in your pocket like a phone. I can't imagine the functionality being anything close to a laptop.

I guess it's a niche for people with too much money, who always want the latest things. There is nothing wrong with that, but for the rest of us, I just can't see it being that great.

IMO, for me, completely useless. It sure is cool, and I'd love to own one, just to say it. But other then that, it's dumb.

Can't see how you'd use it without the screen tilting at some point.

First it would need a stand that's be housed in the back so you don't lay it flat on the table to use it, second if it has a stand then how would you type on it? It's way to big to hold up with one hand and type with the other ala iPhone..

PLUS typing with all fingers is just not possible with a touch screen. Trust me, I know. I clock in everytime I work by way of touchscreen and it quickly rid me of the idea that a touchscreen could be usable on anything but a palm-sized device.

I hate to be negative but we've got to think rationally about our spending in these times!

OK, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but lets take a look at a few things...

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

On a computer, practicality goes in this order:

Keyboard > Mouse > Touchscreen
    Says you. Computers now days are so good that some people believe the future of computing will be pushed forward by HID. Human interface. They way we interact with electronics is changing, and maybe what has always been practical might not last forever. Look at the freaking WII.

Keyboard shortucts and indexing can take you where you want to go in a matter of seconds (typing "Fir" into spotlight will open firefox faster than you can by clicking on it).
    A mouse lets you do the stuff a keyboard cannot do, and it's extremely useful; you know this because there hasn't been anything to replace it since it's arrival.
    You mean like a trackpad? Trackball? Tablet with pen? There are plenty of options out there that have replaced conventional mice for a lot of people. I agree the mouse has dominated, but honestly, is a mouse really THAT intuitive? You can be much more precise with delicate movements of your fingers. Especially with advancements with multitouch gestures and what not. Who knows, someday maybe a computer will a giant glass screen with a GUI plastered onto it, and humans will interact with this computer by touching the glass. (think star wars, minority report, etc... )

However, we know that the mouse is not always needed if you know your keyboard shortcuts.
    There is still a keyboard, check out the mock picture at the top of this post. You can still use your precious key commands....

Or try and imagine to rotate an image with "innovative multi-touch" before you can click the buttons
    [rotate image 90 degrees clockwise] or [rotate image 90 degrees anticlockwise] (usually directly below the image) with your mouse.

You mean using the multitouch gestures to rotate pictures an infinite number of degrees (not just strict 90)? The multitouch tracking that is ALREADY available on the trackpads now?

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a ****.... but try and be open. Even if YOU don't use a touch screen, it will most likely be useful to a lot of people. Why stick to conventions? Apple is all about innovation.

Think different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royalnewjersey View Post
    OK, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but lets take a look at a few things...
    ok...

You mean like a trackpad? Trackball? Tablet with pen? There are plenty of options out there that have replaced conventional mice for a lot of people. I agree the mouse has dominated, but honestly, is a mouse really THAT intuitive? You can be much more precise with delicate movements of your fingers. Especially with advancements with multitouch gestures and what not.
    No I was thinking more like how the 3.5" floppy got replaced completely by USB as opposed to the devices listed above that are just variations of the mouse. To be honest, I should have been more generic in my post; when I said mouse I meant the trackpad, trackball etc as a whole.

Who knows, someday maybe a computer will a giant glass screen with a GUI plastered onto it, and humans will interact with this computer by touching the glass. (think star wars, minority report, etc... )
    Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I'm sure they're using keyboards and mice now.
    At the end of minority report, the precrime project was shut down, and that glass computer was laid to rest Furthermore, John Anderton also had a desktop with a keyboard at his home. This was in the year 2054.

There is still a keyboard, check out the mock picture at the top of this post. You can still use your precious key commands....
    The mock picture at the top of this post would also be a SOB to type on, and to hold on my lap. would i need to put it on a stand (just £25.99 from your nearest Apple Store) so that it's tilted enough for me to type comfortably AND see the screen?

You mean using the multitouch gestures to rotate pictures an infinite number of degrees (not just strict 90)? The multitouch tracking that is ALREADY available on the trackpads now?
    Ok then, but I'm still guessing that it's is still faster than doing it on your touchscreen, because the trackpad is directly underneath the keyboard, in direct reach of your thumbs.

Apple is all about innovation.

Think different
    lol
    Last edited by dale1v; 03-11-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post

Star Wars was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. I'm sure they're using keyboards and mice now.
    At the end of minority report, the precrime project was shut down, and that glass computer was laid to rest Furthermore, John Anderton also had a desktop with a keyboard at his home. This was in the 2054.
    lol
    His serve!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

All I have to say to add to the "argument" is this: They keyboard and mouse are popular because they are comfortable. I am not saying that a touch screen can/should be better, but the only reason we can't fathom anything else is because we don't have it yet. If you can fathom something else you can probably make a shitton of money marketing it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

It looks like a huge iPod Touch

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

lol i just thought about it and typin on that thing would be very tough, cuz u can't use ur fingers like an iphone and u cant use it like a normal keyboard :P

Thanks

I need a new netbook now, hopefully it's not as crappy as the other ones that comes with Windows XP.
    They are going to leave out bootcamp right?

Quote Originally Posted by sayam View Post
    You seem to be pi**ed of right now! You must be banned i guess..
    lawl, power hungry nerds..

Would be cool if we ever actually see it realeased
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

netbook skins

Hi your laptop cover looks great. I'm looking at using this paper for my daughters laptop at Xmas but the laptop is larger than A4 - it is an Advent 1115C, how does it look if you use 2 sheets to cover the full laptop? Cheers.
    Last edited by anneparker; 02-25-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12