+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Announce Touch Screen Netbook Mac in June?

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple to Announce Touch Screen Netbook Mac in June?

A report by DigiTimes claims that Apple is has contracted the Taiwanese based company Wintek to supply touch panels for a new Apple netbook.

Wintek revealed that it is currently working with Apple to develop some new products, but it said it does not know what applications the new products are for. Wintek added that no shipment schedule has been worked out yet, but shipments are likely to begin in the second half of the year.
    Could Wintek's revenues increasing 25% from January to February be the confirmation that they are really going to be providing these panels to Apple?

Wintek has reported that its consolidated revenues for February totaled NT$1.81 billion (US$52 million), representing a 25.69% increase from NT$1.44 billion in January, but a 21.65% decrease from NT$2.31 billion for the same month in 2008.
    Rumors of a touch screen notebook or netbook from Apple have been running rampant for ever. When Apple COO Tim Cook said, "We don’t think people will be pleased with those products. It’s a category we watch, we’ve got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they’re happy with,” it looked like the Apple netbook rumor was put to rest but now it appears otherwise. We believe at least that Apple has been testing a netbook of some sort behind closed doors even if it is not intended to go to production.

Netbooks are a section of the market that Apple doesn't currently participate it. I for one would like to see an Apple netbook.

note: the image is not real

Thanks

Taiwanease??? no offence but American technology is MUCH more advanced than Taiwanease. I've Never heard of Wintek, but im not sure they are capable of handling huge pressure from Apple. The anonymity of the Company is another factor to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post

note: the image is not real
    haha, didnt notice that the first time i read the article.
    Last edited by greenleaf187; 03-09-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me cellmate75's Avatar
    Thanks

O=
    =O
    I got the second post!!!!!!!
    Never had that happen
    This looks pretty cool

Thanks

you will have firsts only if you are up at 4 in the morning

i already have the modbook so im cool

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    you will have firsts only if you are up at 4 in the morning

i already have the modbook so im cool
    its 12:45 post-midnight here
    I didnt have First or Second post competition in mind... Plus we never win
    For Updated Icon packs:

Glare, Non-Glare or Orbz 3.0

Make sure to thank the guys:
    1hihum (Uploader/iconmaker), JoOosty (Uploader/iconmaker), Sele (Iconmaker) and last but not least H0ckey (Does Not Need Introduction)! And special thanks to everybody else I forgot to mention, Sorry!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If this thing does come out it will probably be horrendously overpriced, like the air. Unless it has a price range of the macbooks or cheaper, I am not getting excited.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If this thing does come out it will probably be horrendously overpriced, like the air. Unless it has a price range of the macbooks or cheaper, I am not getting excited.
    It was the first thought that came to my mind as well...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know if "netbook" is the right term here. Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but i highly doubt apple would put its bread and butter multi-touch technology in a "netbook" computer. A netbook would be aimed for a low price, with low features. Someone in the market for a netbook (practically speaking) wouldn't be interested in touch screen technology and no keyboard per-se.

I can see them developing a Macbook Air like solution for those who want to spend about as much as a macbook (or more) to get a touchscreen tablet.

Plus, a touch screen tablet PC would be aimed at business / travel users just like the macbook air. It's not going to be aimed at the general consumer market for cheap.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah great, this will have no useful application in my life, or many others like me. (assholes)

I guess it sets new standards in technology which helps perpetuate innovation and excellency. Or somefink.

Thanks

I'd love to see that actually in the Apple store. I'm sure it'll cost both my legs and my arm but it would be nice to see either way. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenleaf187 View Post
    Taiwanease??? no offence but American technology is MUCH more advanced than Taiwanease. I've Never heard of Wintek, but im not sure they are capable of handling huge pressure from Apple. The anonymity of the Company is another factor to be aware of.

haha, didnt notice that the first time i read the article.
    lol! i'm a Taiwanese! we did good jobs...
    indeed American technology is better than Taiwan because USA is a developed country... but Taiwan is an almost developed country. we have 90% of LED traffic lights installed on the roads!!
    the fact is there are a lot of companies in HsinChu (a city in Taiwan) make LCD panels, RAM
    for example, the screen of iPod Nano is made here! ^^
    the touch screen of iPhone is made in Taiwan too!! ^^
    the screens are been tested in extreme conditions, and the qualities will be good!

so... u know... u guys do the design, we, Taiwan, produce the components, and China do the fabricate which is to put stuff together.

and we will make it GREAT!! EVEN AWESOME!! ha ha! XP 台灣加油!
    Last edited by andrewtzn; 03-10-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtzn View Post
    lol! i'm a Taiwanese! we did good jobs...
    indeed American technology is better than Taiwan because USA is a developed country... but Taiwan is an almost developed country. we have 90% of LED traffic lights installed on the roads!!
    the fact is there are a lot of companies in HsinChu (a city in Taiwan) make LCD panels, RAM
    for example, the screen of iPod Nano is made here! ^^
    the touch screen of iPhone is made in Taiwan too!! ^^
    the screens are been tested in extreme conditions, and the qualities will be good!

so... u know... u guys do the design, we, Taiwan, produce the components, and China do the fabricate which is to put stuff together.

and we will make it GREAT!! EVEN AWESOME!! ha ha! XP
    I did not intend to underestimate the Taiwanese technology. I am just implying to the authenticity of this article. Apple has always had their own touch screen technologies, with iPhone and the iPod touch of course. I find it weird that they delegated their biggest project yet, to other companies. Now of course there are some companies in which their reputation proceeds them. If you tell me that Sony is co-operating with Apple for this project i would be all psyched (i know for this will never happen, its just an example). But honestly, i haven't heard of Wintek, and i know shouldn't open my mouth about something i don't have the slightest idea. Well if the technology is from Apple and just being processed in Thailand, then thats a whole different story.
    i hope nobody is offended by that stupid sentence

13. The Following User Says Thank You to greenleaf187 For This Useful Post:

andrewtzn (03-10-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenleaf187 View Post
    I did not intend to underestimate the Taiwanese technology. I am just implying to the authenticity of this article. Apple has always had their own touch screen technologies, with iPhone and the iPod touch of course. I find it weird that they delegated their biggest project yet, to other companies. Now of course there are some companies in which their reputation proceeds them. If you tell me that Sony is co-operating with Apple for this project i would be all psyched (i know for this will never happen, its just an example). But honestly, i haven't heard of Wintek, and i know shouldn't open my mouth about something i don't have the slightest idea. Well if the technology is from Apple and just being processed in Thailand, then thats a whole different story.
    i hope nobody is offended by that stupid sentence
    yup! i understand ur point, greenleaf187!
    hopefully, Taiwan, a small country will become better and popular, (if China didn't rule Taiwan )
    and hopefully Wintek and others companies will become popular (if they survived through the economic crisis now )

iPhone? More like MyPhone dman112's Avatar
    Thanks

This is going to be crazy.Especially sense windows 7 will come out soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I wonder if we will ever see this thing
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME