Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Plex Media Center for OS X Rocks Some Hulu

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Default Plex Media Center for OS X Rocks Some Hulu

So Boxee has been nearly my favorite program for the past few months thanks mostly to the inclusion of Hulu. I was even considering picking up a Mac mini or and Apple TV and ditching cable all together. When the news hit that Hulu was leaving Boxee I started looking for something new.

Enter Plex. Plex is a media center that is very similar to Boxee. The latest build (.7.8 beta) which was released three days ago adds a feature to Plex called the App Store which is a place for the end user to navigate to and download extra applications that add services for Plex. This is where you can download applications like HULU for you viewing pleasure within Plex. Think of the App Store equivalent to adding sources in Boxee.

For people interested in streaming their media over the internet be it video, pictures, or music they can submit their app to be added to the Plex App Store where once approved it can be downloaded by end users.

Plex is not quite as user friendly as Boxee -- or maybe I'm just familiar with the Boxee interface -- but after a day or so of using Plex I am pleased with its performance so far. Unfortunately for Apple TV users and older Mac users Plex is currently only supports Intel/Leopard only.

If you're interested you can check out the Plex site here or download 0.7.8 beta here.

Some screenies taken while playing around in Plex.

<iframe src="http://www.zumodrive.com/photo/embed/KKM2UyYT" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

So how is this better than just going to the Hulu website itself?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    So how is this better than just going to the Hulu website itself?
    because some people use a media center extender to watch stuff on their 60" HD plasma in another room

i'm kinda of new to this, and never really understood what exactly the Boxee thing did. Can someone help?

1.Boxee/Plex - a media center for playing videos/movies within an application? You download the App to your Mac and then what?
    2.Hulu - the actual site that has all of the videos/movies?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Boxee/Plex are media applications. They both connect to the internet, as well as your local machine or a streamed media drive you may have on your network.

Hulu is not "the" site that has all the movies - it is ONE of many. Hulu is cool because it has tons of network shows on it, as well as major movies. Plex/Boxee also connect to CNN News, MTV, YouTube, and many more. You can use the apps (Boxee and Plex) to watch online shows on your TV, as well as local (on your machine) media files.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (02-24-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    because some people use a media center extender to watch stuff on their 60" HD plasma in another room
    Hulu content looks like garbage on such a large screen, at least in my opinion. It isn't even perfect on a 24 inch computer screen.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks Folly...

Are these shows/movies downloadable? It would be cool to save them so i can play on my ipod while I'm at work. I have Snapz Pro X but the time spent recording the videos would be an extreme hassle. Any helpful ideas or information?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Nope - this is legal. And legal means you can't download copyrighted content.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by cash7c3 View Post
    ... and download extra applications that add services for Plex. This is where you can download applications like HULU for you viewing pleasure within Plex.

So its similar to comcast "On Demand" This helps for show's to be readily available to you if you miss out or something?

Thanks

cant wait to try it out
    -=[DJ Phrost]=-

and remote control ?no remote control ...(( i tried long time ago , the boxee its the best think so far , i think .

so i just try to play files with plex , its not playing blu-ray content ( , boxee play blu-ray like its a air , no problems at all .

plex it hangs even with MKV , plffyyy
    Last edited by czarnachmura28; 02-24-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

is there something like this for windows media center?

^^^ no there isnt

but does this mean that i cant get it on my apple tv and i usually just use couch surfer to get to hulu if i really want it

Thanks for the hint buddy! Plex looks promising!

Wait, it is 90 MB! I want just a plugin for hulu to integrate with media services on Mac...
    Last edited by kkiran; 02-26-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Search Google for "Custom Firmware 3.1.2" if you don't have a Mac and are using Windows!