+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Freakin Botches Document Compatibility - Follows Microsoft Footsteps

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Following in Microsoft's footsteps Apple's iWork 09 documents are not backwards compatible. What does this mean? Files saved in any iWork 09 application (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) will not open with
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Apple Freakin Botches Document Compatibility - Follows Microsoft Footsteps

Following in Microsoft's footsteps Apple's iWork 09 documents are not backwards compatible. What does this mean? Files saved in any iWork 09 application (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) will not open with iWork 08 unless you choose to save it in iWork 08's format. Apple has published a nice little page explaining iWork 09 and iWork 08 compatibility -- or lack of.

When Microsoft did the same thing creating new document formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx) to go along with the release of Office 2007 much of the world was outraged. Businesses were immediately effected because files saved in the default format with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 07 would not open using previous Microsoft Office versions. People would email out documents only to be later notified that the recipients couldn't open them because they didn't have the newest version of Office wasting time, energy, and money. Inconvenient.

I suppose that here in Apple's case at least the number of people that will be affected and inconvenienced is relatively small -- not like when Microsoft did the same thing and inconvenienced most businesses world wide. Regardless it is embarrassing that Apple would make this kind of error when half of their marketing is based on the premise that OS X is just smoother and easier to use than Windows.

Thanks

you know it seems that ever since steve jobbs went on leave everything has been going downhill with apple

they are trying to kill the jailbreaking community and this what is to come for apple

where is our savior jobbs when we need him

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post
    you know it seems that ever since steve jobbs went on leave everything has been going downhill with apple

they are trying to kill the jailbreaking community and this what is to come for apple

Thing is he's only one man, so I doubt that his presence would have any real affect on what would happen within Apple.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe it is him in a since, just smartly letting someone else do the dirty work.. This just seems like a sure opportune moment to have change by pinning it on someone else that's taking over, while at the same time his rep is still upheld. I'm sure they conglomerate at a round table more thank you think.

"co-op"

Thanks

Bummer... I hope this isn't the beginning of the end. Apple prides themselves on being user friendly and simple, now we're getting complications. Definitely not the best move.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by him121213 View Post

Unless they threw this iWork suite together in a matter of weeks (since Steve has been gone), which is highly unlikely, I doubt his absence has any more to do with things than mine.

As a side note, people can just save in the old format. This kind of thing is bound to happen at some point. I know with Office 2007 if you choose an older format to save your file there are some features and formatting quirks that won't show up due to it being "converted" to an older format. This is likely the same case with the new iWork.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 02-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone saifeeab's Avatar
    Thanks

hahaha....guess apple isnt any different than microsoft when it comes to squeezing money out of our pockets.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a question how old are some of you?

Or better do people actually I mean ACTUALLY believe apple cares about its users? I question the validity when companies spend billions of dollars to make you believe they are on your side. @ the end of the day
    APPLE is a company after profit ,power and cash flow. To think that Steve
    is here to attend to user requests is absurd.

If that were the case then we would not have such a closed monopolized ecosystem within apple. And I highly doubt that apple is making such drsatic moves without consulting with Steve. I mean he' been out for what a month and you people honestly think he does not have anything to do with decisions? Like he is just going to let COOK botch his "vision" in a months time?

Come on get real everythign coming to light is what was already in line for apple. I am 100% sure that apple did not out of the blue one day said. HEY JAILBRAKING IS ILEGAL. Just like I doubt that out of the blue one day they said no backwards compatibility for iwork. IS ALL PLANNED. SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT AN OVERNIGHT THING.

I remember when office 2007 came out mac users were like leave it to microsoft to do such a thing. Now I am reading those same mac users using excuses to justify the action.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

WOW, thats a bold move for Apple to "copy" what MS did. maybe they just want some more revenue to come in their way.

OLD INFO I forgot where to get this again. Link?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenNove View Post

Or better do people actually I mean ACTUALLY believe apple cares about its users? I question the validity when companies spend billions of dollars to make you believe they are on your side. @ the end of the day

If that were the case then we would not have such a closed monopolized ecosystem within apple. And I highly doubt that apple is making such drsatic moves without consulting with Steve. I mean he' been out for what a month and you people honestly think he does not have anything to do with decisions? Like he is just going to let COOK botch his "vision" in a months time?

Come on get real everythign coming to light is what was already in line for apple. I am 100% sure that apple did not out of the blue one day said. HEY JAILBRAKING IS ILEGAL. Just like I doubt that out of the blue one day they said no backwards compatibility for iwork. IS ALL PLANNED. SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT AN OVERNIGHT THING.

I remember when office 2007 came out mac users were like leave it to microsoft to do such a thing. Now I am reading those same mac users using excuses to justify the action.
    Agree

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saifeeab View Post
    hahaha....guess apple isnt any different than microsoft when it comes to squeezing money out of our pockets.
    Yes! was going to state the same thing... but only like this... monkey see monkey do.....

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks
    Microsoft Office 2007 files can be opened in Office 2003. You just need to download a small compatibility pack for 2003.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This post seems really late to me....

I saw the "save as" formatting issue the first time I opened "Pages '09" over a month ago. What took so long for this story to break?

Either way, it still seems like a horrible move to me. They should have learned from the Office 07 fiasco. Good thing I only use pages internally.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

That's the fanboy attitude!

I always say... if you hate it so bad, save yourself the trouble and money and just don;t buy it
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

I dont think they will be 'PROFITING', monetarily, from this format case. To come and think of it, its really easier to just keep it all in the same format. But they chose the hard way perhaps to enhance some tweaks or options, for example, the password protection in Microsoft. Allegedly, 2007 protection is stronger than the previous ones.

Thanks

If you want to introduce new features at some point the file format has to change to accommodate those new features.
    Believe it or not, most new releases are an improvement on the previous release.
    MS released the reader for people to view office 2007 docs if they didn't have Office 2007. Maybe Apple should have learned from them and done the same but, ultimately, Apple want people to upgrade.
    Getting the new features right without alienating the existing user base is always a challenge.
    I don't use a MAC so this doesn't affect me - but I was affected by the Office 2007 change (I still have to think to save in older versionms where necessary) but that's progress!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really hate to burst everyone's bubble here that are complaining about backwards compatibility - BUT many other companies do this with the newer versions of Software_

For example Adobe_ If you buy a CS4 suite_ Design Premium for example_ And you open Illustrator_ Then create a file and goto save it_ By Default it will save it as a CS4 Format_ There are options to save is as a CS3 File or a CS2 File_ If you want to or want someone else to be able to open the Illustrator File in an older version - you have to compensate for this or when you goto open the CS4 version in an older App it will ***** at you and portions of the File will not be compatible_ You will lose formatting and styles and much more_

People simply need to read thru and learn about new stuff that they acquire_ Software companies are not required to and should not have to maintain portals to legacy coding and formats simply because of user reluctance to progress_ hte way Micosoft does for stuff all the way back to DOS_ This leaves security exploits open and invitations for problems and trouble_ Someone that buys new software should read thru the new features - preferably before they purchase it_ But if not then definitely prior to replacing it as their daily primary App_ And if it has seperated out backwards compatibility from current formatting it's their responsibility to compensate for this_ Not the software company's_ Otherwise they shouldn't have bought it in the first place_ And be happy that these companies bother to include previous formats as an option to begin with - they could just as easily leave them out_

Besides - there isn't an iWork '09 or iWork '08 format_ There are Pages '08 and Pages '09 formats_ As well as Numbers '08 and Numbers '09 and also Keynote '08 and Keynote '09 formatting_ There is an iWork.com_

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

There are usually independent converters/solutions out on the market shortly after this kind of thing. Sure you lose the extra formatting in documents etc (if the author actually utilized the new stuff) but such things allow the file to be used. The creators of the software should do it themselves (especially a company that "prides" themselves on how /easy/ their things are to use).

Green Apple
    Thanks

Comeon Apple, how difficult is it to adapt open standards?

I meant : it is their own app for gods sake!
    Last edited by kkiran; 02-26-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Search Google for "Custom Firmware 3.1.2" if you don't have a Mac and are using Windows!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I also agree...

People here fail to realize how the business world works. Most people use macs because they're 'easier' to use, simpler. I guess mac users don't like complicated things? Well there is a world outside your simplistic life.

And to justify by calling it 'copying' microsoft... Really? You can open docx files in old office... you just download a converter from their website. It's not hard...

Lots of other companies do this too, and its done for a reason. Broaden your view people.. if you like apple so much, buy the new product..